Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 13, 2015, 02:11:45 PM
Quote from: annapr on January 13, 2015, 11:33:19 AM
Quote from: seafoid on January 13, 2015, 07:49:16 AM
Would man Utd buy Messi ?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/12/lionel-messi-manchester-united-move-barcelona
Would Messi really want to join Man United. I doubt it somehow.

If he did leave he wouldn't exactly have too many choices of club due to FFP, only United, Bayern or Real could afford him and there's no chance of him ever going to Real. It won't happen though , Enrique will be sacked at the end of the year and Messi will probably hand pick his successor.

Was going to post similiar earlier. Itll be a huge test of FFP if one of Chelsea, City or PSG try to buy him as only the clubs mentioned by Maroon could hope to buy him and stay within the rules but ultimately if its about him and his manager not getting on they're only be one of them leaving and it won't be Messi.

He does seem to be flexing his muscle though with the statements or half statements he's making at present

gallsman

Messi got a new contract last year to increase the already massive one he had that had him tied up for four years or so, so he's not due another one for a while. Laporta will come back in the summer in an absolute landslide and will look to bring in another "Barca" coach that can work with Messi - there was a lot of chat last week about Koeman. Laudrup would also be a good fit as an ex-player and disciple of Cruyff.

Ultimately Messi needs to be in a team that doesn't stray too far from what it asked him to do 3/4 years ago, with a more robust midfield and defence. He looked fantastic at the weekend so they may well kick on from there, although Enrique's days are surely numbered.

Any prospect of him leaving Barca is absolutely minimal. The United ownership, regardless of what funds are available, are much too sensible to spend the kind of money being talked about on just one player.

Shrewdness

Seems likely that De Gea will sign a new contract to stay at United.....United beat Hull 3-0 at Old Trafford tonight in the FA Youth Cup.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Shrewdness on January 13, 2015, 09:18:46 PM
Seems likely that De Gea will sign a new contract to stay at United.....United beat Hull 3-0 at Old Trafford tonight in the FA Youth Cup.

I didn't realise Madrid had Keylor Navas as well as Casillas. They'll not be too pushed to get DeGea according to something I read today.

David McKeown

There was an interesting article in the Guardian a few months back about how Chelsea might get round ffp in signing Messi by effectively negotiating a deal between themselves Addidas and Messi where Addidas would increase their payments to Messi but reduce their payments to Chelsea to act as their kit supplier. So I wouldn't rule out the likes of Chelsea et al finding a way to sign Messi if they really wanted to
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Shrewdness

Messi gave his Ballon Dor vote to Di Maria..The most remarkable bit of voting must surely have been that of Roy Hodgson. He voted for Javier Mascherano as his player of the year, and failed to include either Ronaldo or Messi in his top three!!. A well deserved award for CR7 by the way.

DuffleKing

Mascharano was the best player at the world cup but certainly not the best over the course of 2014

nrico2006

God only knows who was the best player in the world last year, you could look at it in so many different ways.  Ronaldo was said to have had his best year ever while Messi apparently had his worst, yet there was only a goal or two between them and I would say a good chunk of Ronaldo's were from penalties. 

Alternatively, are those two the best players in the world or simply the best forwards?  The rest of the field often get forgotten when it comes to individual awards but how to you differentiate between the best keeper/defender/midfielder/forward in the world? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Quote from: Shrewdness on January 14, 2015, 07:16:50 AM
Messi gave his Ballon Dor vote to Di Maria..The most remarkable bit of voting must surely have been that of Roy Hodgson. He voted for Javier Mascherano as his player of the year, and failed to include either Ronaldo or Messi in his top three!!. A well deserved award for CR7 by the way.

Even Fanning tweeted about how Hodgson tried to replace him with...Christian Poulsen.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 14, 2015, 09:27:51 AM
God only knows who was the best player in the world last year, you could look at it in so many different ways.  Ronaldo was said to have had his best year ever while Messi apparently had his worst, yet there was only a goal or two between them and I would say a good chunk of Ronaldo's were from penalties. 

Alternatively, are those two the best players in the world or simply the best forwards?  The rest of the field often get forgotten when it comes to individual awards but how to you differentiate between the best keeper/defender/midfielder/forward in the world?

If you comparing the 2013/14 season Ronaldo scored a lot more goals than Messi and if you take the calendar year of 2014 the gap was even greater, Messi takes the pens too.

In fairness we're seeing 2 of the greatest players of all time at the same time, think we can take their records for granted because their both doing it at the same time. They are a long way ahead of next best player in the world whoever that is.

The youth team beat Hull 3-0 last night, watched a bit of it and looked a very comfortable win. Apparently the best two players were 15 year old Callum Gribbin who has another 3 years left in the youth team and young dutch lad we bought from Ajax who has 2 years left at that level. I've seen a bit of Gribbin before and he looks like a very special talent. Given how Ravel Morrison is making a balls of his career  talent isn't everything although nobody in Manchester is that surprised given how troublesome he's always been.

nrico2006

I think in 2014 Ronaldo had 61 goals in 60 appearances and Messi had 58 goals in 66 appearances.  This could be wrong but on top of that the article I read had 15 of Ronaldos goals from the spot with only 8 of Messi's coming from a penalty.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Maroon Manc

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 14, 2015, 11:48:06 AM
I think in 2014 Ronaldo had 61 goals in 60 appearances and Messi had 58 goals in 66 appearances.  This could be wrong but on top of that the article I read had 15 of Ronaldos goals from the spot with only 8 of Messi's coming from a penalty.

Even still in the games I watched Messi wasn't having the influence he had previously, his level has dropped whilst Ronaldo has maintained his form from previous years.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 14, 2015, 01:24:21 PM

Even still in the games I watched Messi wasn't having the influence he had previously, his level has dropped whilst Ronaldo has maintained his form from previous years.

More to do with the curtailing of Xavi's form.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 14, 2015, 01:25:46 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 14, 2015, 01:24:21 PM

More to do with the curtailing of Xavi's form.

That's one argument but his he failed to shine in the world cup in a good Argentine side.

beer baron

Messi was unbelievable the other evening. Wouldn't put anyone off having a tenner on him for a hat trick tonight if he starts.