Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Quote from: deiseach on July 22, 2014, 04:05:52 PM

If Handel were alive, he'd be turning in his grave.

Always thought he was a bit of a knob :-\

Boycey

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on July 22, 2014, 03:46:14 PM
Quote from: Boycey on July 22, 2014, 03:15:39 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 22, 2014, 02:12:25 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on July 22, 2014, 01:19:35 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 18, 2014, 02:22:01 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on July 18, 2014, 01:31:28 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 18, 2014, 12:34:49 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 18, 2014, 12:16:42 PM
Its hard to see how a team bringing in 4-5 first team players (if reports are to be believed) could compete immediately. Liverpool are in the same boat but to a lesser extent
Spot on. Can't see United being anywhere near contention this year.
No need to read a book about Mayo coming second LL..the agony written all over our poor little faces..

It's not Roddy Collins who is manager. No reason why Utd can't compete for Top4.

Plus a fully fit RVP would make a difference too.

My point was that no team could put 5 new players in their first 11 and expect to win. Its all about building an understanding, that comes with time. Its not a managerial thing.
If he sticks with the bulk of the 2012/13 team (i.e. brings in 2, 3 max) then he probably has a better chance IMO. But chelsea and city have really pushed on with new managers from that season and are a long way better. Same is likely for Arsenal with Sanchez, and another striker. Although their back line needs improving.

Spuds, liverpool and united I think will all be in a group behind these, Arsenal could also be in this group, who f**king knows with them

Nobody mentioned they would win the League only yourself, aiming for Top4 first was the priority. Anyway United don't have European football this year which will be a help in the run for a top 4 , no fatigue.

Can a lack of fatigue make up for a weak/inexperienced squad at all?

Do me a favour!

Inexperienced??  There'll be more premier league medals and international caps floating around Carrington than you could shake a stick at.

Premier league medals and international caps didn't help much last year.................

Thats wasn't the point though was it, we can argue all day over the relative shitness of the United squad but its hard to argue that its inexperienced?

screenexile

Quote from: Boycey on July 22, 2014, 04:24:17 PM
Its hard to see how a team bringing in 4-5 first team players (if reports are to be believed) could compete immediately. Liverpool are in the same boat but to a lesser extent
No need to read a book about Mayo coming second LL..the agony written all over our poor little faces..

It's not Roddy Collins who is manager. No reason why Utd can't compete for Top4.

My point was that no team could put 5 new players in their first 11 and expect to win. Its all about building an understanding, that comes with time. Its not a managerial thing.
If he sticks with the bulk of the 2012/13 team (i.e. brings in 2, 3 max) then he probably has a better chance IMO. But chelsea and city have really pushed on with new managers from that season and are a long way better. Same is likely for Arsenal with Sanchez, and another striker. Although their back line needs improving.

Spuds, liverpool and united I think will all be in a group behind these, Arsenal could also be in this group, who f**king knows with them

Nobody mentioned they would win the League only yourself, aiming for Top4 first was the priority. Anyway United don't have European football this year which will be a help in the run for a top 4 , no fatigue.

Do me a favour!

Inexperienced??  There'll be more premier league medals and international caps floating around Carrington than you could shake a stick at.

Premier league medals and international caps didn't help much last year.................

Thats wasn't the point though was it, we can argue all day over the relative shitness of the United squad but its hard to argue that its inexperienced?

Ok then talk me through Utd's defence in terms of experience. Jonny Evans? Do ME a favour!

Boycey

Quote from: screenexile on July 22, 2014, 04:33:42 PM

Do me a favour!

Ok then talk me through Utd's defence in terms of experience. Jonny Evans? Do ME a favour!

Hes played in over half of Uniteds league games in the last six seasons plus 30 odd European matches plus 40ish internationals so I'd say yeah hes an experienced campaigner?

screenexile

Quote from: Boycey on July 22, 2014, 04:44:04 PM

Do me a favour!

Hes played in over half of Uniteds league games in the last six seasons plus 30 odd European matches plus 40ish internationals so I'd say yeah hes an experienced campaigner?

It's not his experience I'm doubting... more his ability or lack of it!

Boycey

Quote from: screenexile on July 22, 2014, 04:52:02 PM
Quote from: Boycey on July 22, 2014, 04:44:04 PM

Do me a favour!

It's not his experience I'm doubting... more his ability or lack of it!

I refer you to your previous posts!

You're like the grim reaper on here when a United player is mentioned, ur the sort of boy that would have said George Best was over rated back in the day. Your entitled to your opinion on ability but on experience (which you have mentioned twice) you are talking dung.

beer baron

More talk of Vermaelen. Someone told me there's talk of a swap deal for Jones or Smalling? Surely that's bull?

rodney trotter

Louis van Gaal has been told he is free to break the world transfer record to bring the right player to Manchester United.

Last year Real Madrid set the record by signing Gareth Bale from Tottenham Hotspur for £86 million, eclipsing the £80 million they had paid United four years earlier for Cristiano Ronaldo.

Van Gaal, who will take charge of United for the first time tonight in a friendly against LA Galaxy, has been told his transfer activity will not be constrained by money.

"It's difficult to deal in hypotheticals based on lots of different things," Ed Woodward said. "The reality is that we're not afraid of spending significant amounts of money in the transfer market."

The club's executive vice-chairman added: "Whether it's a record or not doesn't really resonate with us. What resonates is an elite player that the manager wants who is going to be a star for Manchester United."

United have already paid £27 million for Southampton's Luke Shaw and £28.5 million for Athletic Bilbao's Ander Herrera. The £37.5 million paid to Chelsea for Juan Mata in January is a United club record but Woodward says United will not be put off spending what it takes to secure the players of Van Gaal's choice.

"Of course it's in our capabilities," he said. "I get pointed in the direction of a target that the manager wants and there is an assessment of what that might cost and I'll negotiate hard to do the best I can.

'Ultimate decision'
"I stand by what I said – there is no budget. We are in a very strong financial position. We can make big signings. That doesn't mean we go and throw money around. Louis is the manager. We have a lot of scouting output through the last 12 months, flagging up various things to us. Louis is the one that makes the ultimate decision around who he wants in the squad."

Although Van Gaal wants to assess the squad, Woodward says no time is being lost with regard to signings. "We're still looking at options. We're not sitting on our hands waiting for Louis. He is very good at communicating clearly what he wants."

With Patrice Evra, Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic having left, United need at least one central defender, potentially another left-back, and are still chasing another central midfielder.

Mats Hummels is wanted by Van Gaal, as is the Ajax midfielder Daley Blind, the Feyenoord defender Stefan de Vrij and Arsenal's Thomas Vermaelen. The United manager is an admirer of Roma's Kevin Strootman, though the midfielder is recovering from a knee injury so any transfer may not occur until January.

While United understand Real Madrid's Angel di Maria is for sale he is not currently being considered.

Woodward said the record £750 million kit deal signed with Adidas is evidence that despite United not being in Europe next season, they are the world's biggest club.

"What we're seeing with everything we're doing from a commercial perspective, talking to agents, talking from a player's perspective about wanting to come to us, we are the biggest club in the world, there's no question about that," he said.

Woodward admits that his first 12 months in charge of United following David Gill's resignation as the chief executive have been trying. Yet he believes Van Gaal has restored the aura to the 20-times champions that was lost under David Moyes.

"It was a challenging year. In an ideal situation I would have worked with Alex [Ferguson] for a year. I feel a lot more positivity in terms of this coming season."

After Van Gaal mentioned the club's commercial links at his unveiling, Woodward denied these were an issue for the manager. "We are a different-sized club. You have not experienced what being a Manchester United manager is until you have been Manchester United manager." Guardian Service

http://t.co/hKeX69KMTf

EC Unique

Bullish. I like it. Talk is cheap though so let's see some action.

Mayo4Sam

Woodward has done a great job of adding 10-20% onto the price of every player United go for just there

Superb job
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

rodney trotter

Or maybe he wants to keeps fans happy, keep season ticket sales up -after the disaster of last season on/off the field. And paying an extra 10% is a real travesty after signing a kit deal for €750 million.

laoislad

So who is he? What player can United realistically sign who is worth more than what Madrid payed for Bale who is the current transfer record?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

brokencrossbar1

Talk is cheap.  Still no sign of Vidal coming in and him not likely to either.  Klopp has said that Hummels and Reus are staying put.  Jimmy has joined Real Madrid.  Yes there is another month to go in the transfer window but are United likely to entice Di Maria or his ilk to join?  It is going to be very difficult and with this boy's shooting a bit erratic then it will only get harder!!

Boycey

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 23, 2014, 10:39:17 AM
Or maybe he wants to keeps fans happy, keep season ticket sales up -after the disaster of last season on/off the field. And paying an extra 10% is a real travesty after signing a kit deal for €750 million.

Season tickets are sold out at this stage, curiously enough they have been an easier sell this year than in previous seasons. In recent years United would have had a compulsory cup scheme that would have forced fans to buy tickets for all home cup games in order to be in with a chance of getting Final tickets. The League Cup has been removed from the scheme and the absence of European football means that there is less expence on fans

deiseach

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 23, 2014, 10:39:17 AM

Um, and you're okay with this?