Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewdness

LVG is making his mark at United. Whilst they are on tour in the US, he has ordered that two of the training pitches at Carrington be ripped up today and be replaced by Desso, which is a synthetic grass fibre material. That's what was installed on the pitch at Old Trafford in 2013. I think that cost around 1M if i remember, read it at the time. LVG has also ordered that trees be sown at Carrington to give the facility more protection from the wind. Looks like attention to detail is one of his strong points.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 22, 2014, 12:28:02 PM
LVG is making his mark at United. Whilst they are on tour in the US, he has ordered that two of the training pitches at Carrington be ripped up today and be replaced by Desso, which is a synthetic grass fibre material. That's what was installed on the pitch at Old Trafford in 2013. I think that cost around 1M if i remember, read it at the time. LVG has also ordered that trees be sown at Carrington to give the facility more protection from the wind. Looks like attention to detail is one of his strong points.

I take it he's on a 20 year contract if he's waiting for them to fully mature!

laoislad

I saw on Sky Sports this morning that he is getting sleep pods installed at their training base..
He could have just showed them DVD's of United's performances from last season if he wanted to put them asleep....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

deiseach

Quote from: laoislad on July 22, 2014, 12:37:48 PM
I saw on Sky Sports this morning that he is getting sleep pods installed at their training base..
He could have just showed them DVD's of United's performances from last season if he wanted to put them asleep....

Or videos of Gerrard slipping.

(Just saving Man Utd fans the trouble).

NAG1

Don't think there is going to be any shit with him that is for sure. The tour will be interesting to see if he actually is assessing the squad or just playing the games for the sponsors and waiting to he gets back to really get to work.

As Liverpool showed last year the lack of European games should have the players pretty fresh throughout the season, so there should be no excuses for fatigue, probably could even get away with a slightly smaller squad this season than in previous ones.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 18, 2014, 02:22:01 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on July 18, 2014, 01:31:28 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 18, 2014, 12:34:49 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 18, 2014, 12:16:42 PM
Its hard to see how a team bringing in 4-5 first team players (if reports are to be believed) could compete immediately. Liverpool are in the same boat but to a lesser extent
Spot on. Can't see United being anywhere near contention this year.
No need to read a book about Mayo coming second LL..the agony written all over our poor little faces..

It's not Roddy Collins who is manager. No reason why Utd can't compete for Top4.

Plus a fully fit RVP would make a difference too.

My point was that no team could put 5 new players in their first 11 and expect to win. Its all about building an understanding, that comes with time. Its not a managerial thing.
If he sticks with the bulk of the 2012/13 team (i.e. brings in 2, 3 max) then he probably has a better chance IMO. But chelsea and city have really pushed on with new managers from that season and are a long way better. Same is likely for Arsenal with Sanchez, and another striker. Although their back line needs improving.

Spuds, liverpool and united I think will all be in a group behind these, Arsenal could also be in this group, who f**king knows with them

Nobody mentioned they would win the League only yourself, aiming for Top4 first was the priority. Anyway United don't have European football this year which will be a help in the run for a top 4 , no fatigue.

screenexile

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 22, 2014, 01:19:35 PM
Its hard to see how a team bringing in 4-5 first team players (if reports are to be believed) could compete immediately. Liverpool are in the same boat but to a lesser extent
No need to read a book about Mayo coming second LL..the agony written all over our poor little faces..

It's not Roddy Collins who is manager. No reason why Utd can't compete for Top4.

My point was that no team could put 5 new players in their first 11 and expect to win. Its all about building an understanding, that comes with time. Its not a managerial thing.
If he sticks with the bulk of the 2012/13 team (i.e. brings in 2, 3 max) then he probably has a better chance IMO. But chelsea and city have really pushed on with new managers from that season and are a long way better. Same is likely for Arsenal with Sanchez, and another striker. Although their back line needs improving.

Spuds, liverpool and united I think will all be in a group behind these, Arsenal could also be in this group, who f**king knows with them

Nobody mentioned they would win the League only yourself, aiming for Top4 first was the priority. Anyway United don't have European football this year which will be a help in the run for a top 4 , no fatigue.

Can a lack of fatigue make up for a weak/inexperienced squad at all?

NAG1

Quote from: screenexile on July 22, 2014, 02:12:25 PM

Yeah of course it can, if one squad are coming off the back of a tough long haul CL game and the other is coming fresh, then of course there will be a difference.

Boycey

Do me a favour!

Inexperienced??  There'll be more premier league medals and international caps floating around Carrington than you could shake a stick at.

deiseach

Isn't it strange how, despite the burden that is playing in the Champions League, it's the same old faces in the Champions League year after year?

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Boycey on July 22, 2014, 03:15:39 PM

Do me a favour!

Inexperienced??  There'll be more premier league medals and international caps floating around Carrington than you could shake a stick at.

Premier league medals and international caps didn't help much last year.................

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on July 22, 2014, 03:16:49 PM

Isn't it strange how, despite the burden that is playing in the Champions League, it's the same old faces in the Champions League year after year?
They should rename it the moneybags championship 
And get rid of that music.
The competition is far too grubby for the music

Gabriel_Hurl

LVG is making his mark at United. Whilst they are on tour in the US, he has ordered that two of the training pitches at Carrington be ripped up today and be replaced by Desso, which is a synthetic grass fibre material. That's what was installed on the pitch at Old Trafford in 2013. I think that cost around 1M if i remember, read it at the time.

Sorry to be pedantic - but they are putting down a product called Grassmaster, which is made by a company named Desso. It involves injecting artifical fibres into the natural turf.

gawa316

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 22, 2014, 03:53:30 PM
LVG is making his mark at United. Whilst they are on tour in the US, he has ordered that two of the training pitches at Carrington be ripped up today and be replaced by Desso, which is a synthetic grass fibre material. That's what was installed on the pitch at Old Trafford in 2013. I think that cost around 1M if i remember, read it at the time.

Sorry to be pedantic - but they are putting down a product called Grassmaster, which is made by a company named Desso. It involves injecting artifical fibres into the natural turf.

Which cousin told you that?

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on July 22, 2014, 03:48:24 PM
Quote from: deiseach on July 22, 2014, 03:16:49 PM

They should rename it the moneybags championship 
And get rid of that music.
The competition is far too grubby for the music

If Handel were alive, he'd be turning in his grave.