Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

yellowcard

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 10, 2014, 04:38:21 PM
And RVP.

I can't see RVP staying if Moyes stays on as manager. The rumours about him being unhappy surfaced very early in the season and there was no smoke without fire, he hasn't looked a happy bunny all season but yet is still the top goalscorer (I think). Badly needs a right back, centre back, left back, and central midfielder (maybe 2). And those players should be players ready to go straight into the first team, so could cost well over £100m. Will the Glazers trust Moyes to source the players and then spend the money wisely? For me his future still hangs in the balance but I'd imagine Ferguson will want to give him an opportunity to put it right next season.

BarryBreensBandage

I wouldn't give 100 Million to David Moyes to rebuild United.
Would you?
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

EC Unique

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on April 10, 2014, 06:56:16 PM
Would you?

My guess is he will get staying and he will get what ever funds he wants.
So far the poor results have had little or no effect on the share price but another season like this might. The owners will not want a drop in value so investment in the squad will come. His spending so far is good and bad. Mata good....SSB bad.

Shrewdness

In case any of you hear that Ed Woodward stayed in Munich last night to try to do a deal on Toni Kroos, let me spoil the story by confirming that the entire United travelling party overnighted in Munich

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 10, 2014, 08:31:11 PM
In case any of you hear that Ed Woodward stayed in Munich last night to try to do a deal on Toni Kroos, let me spoil the story by confirming that the entire United travelling party overnighted in Munich

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2014, 08:37:09 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on April 10, 2014, 08:31:11 PM

It's a pity United couldn't find the equaliser against Bayern.

Farrandeelin

Would Ferguson have given Rooney the whole 90 minutes last night? Would he even have started him? He didn't like players getting too big for their boots, especially ones that earn what Rooney is earning.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Minder

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 10, 2014, 08:56:03 PM
Would Ferguson have given Rooney the whole 90 minutes last night? Would he even have started him? He didn't like players getting too big for their boots, especially ones that earn what Rooney is earning.

Didn't he play him in 2010 when he was injured against Bayern ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: EC Unique on April 10, 2014, 08:25:40 PM
Would you?

So far the poor results have had little or no effect on the share price but another season like this might. The owners will not want a drop in value so investment in the squad will come. His spending so far is good and bad. Mata good....SSB bad.

I look at the likes of Kagawa, Januzaj, Hernandez, Mata, and reckon if they were at Liverpool, Everton, Bayern, A or R Madrid, Barca, they would have had a cracking season with any of these teams.
If Robben had have been playing for Utd last night, would he have got a sniff of the ball?

My point is, you could even bring back CR but, given Moyes tactics, and the obvious distance between him and his team, would it make any difference?

If Moyes was given a 'money no object' and brought in, for talk sake, Ronaldo, Schweinsteiger, Jordi Alba and Alves, would he be able to create 1,2,3 different formations to win different types of games?
I seriously doubt it.

This is obviously what the successful managers are doing now - watching Utd last night was like watching the Republic against Spain in the Euros a couple of years ago. A frightening difference in tactical awareness and skill.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Captain Obvious

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on April 10, 2014, 09:10:22 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on April 10, 2014, 08:25:40 PM
Would you?

I look at the likes of Kagawa, Januzaj, Hernandez, Mata, and reckon if they were at Liverpool, Everton, Bayern, A or R Madrid, Barca, they would have had a cracking season with any of these teams.
If Robben had have been playing for Utd last night, would he have got a sniff of the ball?

My point is, you could even bring back CR but, given Moyes tactics, and the obvious distance between him and his team, would it make any difference?

If Moyes was given a 'money no object' and brought in, for talk sake, Ronaldo, Schweinsteiger, Jordi Alba and Alves, would he be able to create 1,2,3 different formations to win different types of games?
I seriously doubt it.

This is obviously what the successful managers are doing now - watching Utd last night was like watching the Republic against Spain in the Euros a couple of years ago. A frightening difference in tactical awareness and skill.

Yes giving David Moyes millions to spend won't improve his management ability. He's out of his depth and Manchester United are having their worst season since the 80s under him. If the United board have any sense they should cut their loses and let Moyes go.

magpie seanie

I didn't think Rooney played that badly last night. Screwed up a few crucial chances but Welbeck gave him a terrible pass for one of them. Overall I thought he worked hard enough and was involved in almost everything good United did. He has had a good season in an underperforming team and I think people are overly harsh on him. All top soccer players get paid way too much. Rooney had just capitalised on a situation and got a max contract out of it - something any of us would love to be able to do.

Saying he doesn't perform in big games is harsh. Many big games he has done extremely well in for United especially. There are some big games he didn't do well in but I think that's not to do with his temperament or ability. He is a very, very good player. Not up with the Ronaldo's and Messi's but when you see someone like Mourinho wanting to get him so badly he can't be as bad as some would make out.

Someone said it here about Ribery and Robben - I can't stand the hoors. Really hope Bayern don't win it, would prefer any of the other 3 to do it.

Shrewdness

Hearing a rumour tonight that Rooney could miss the rest of the season. If it's true, it will be to give him maximum time to be fit for the World Cup.

EC Unique

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 11, 2014, 12:55:40 AM
Hearing a rumour tonight that Rooney could miss the rest of the season. If it's true, it will be to give him maximum time to be fit for the World Cup.

Does not really matter at this stage to Utd. Season is over. Would be good to see Hermandez get a run of games.

Under Lights

Would you say Rooney is World Class?

Personally I don't think so. He is a very good premier league player but I couldn't count him in the same class as Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Robben etc.

I think Rooney had the potential/ability to be a world class player but didn't have the mental discipline to do so. He wouldn't look after his body in the same way the world class players mentioned above would.

Rooney reminds me of Rickey Hatton, we never will know how good Rickey could have been if he had of looked after himself outside of fight training time. He piled on the pounds and didn't have the same discipline as the best- Floyd Mayweather.
Gazza was the same.

I think its the English/British mentality. Is there any English sportsman that you can say is truly world class? Johnny Wilkinson?