Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2014, 08:41:03 AM
Quote from: laoislad on April 09, 2014, 11:35:47 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 09, 2014, 11:30:15 PM
Quote from: laoislad on April 09, 2014, 09:46:16 PM
Quote from: ross4life on April 09, 2014, 09:43:47 PM
Bayern 1st goal tonight came at a great time if only United had held the lead for a little longer. Defending very poor on all Bayern goals. TBH Was always going to be uphill task not winning the home leg as 1-1 was never going to be enough against a side of the quality of Bayern.

I wonder how long before i see Man United in CL again on the evidence of this season it could be a long time  :(

United should go all out to win Europa League next year if they are in it. Winners of it qualify for Champions League.

Never heard that. Is that a new rule?
Yeah from next season on.

Source? ............................................................. ;)

Alex Ferguson
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

deiseach

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 10, 2014, 08:45:09 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2014, 08:41:03 AM
Source? ............................................................. ;)

Alex Ferguson

Via his close friend and trusted confidant, Pat Crerand.

seafoid

Quote from: The Worker on April 09, 2014, 09:55:46 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 09, 2014, 09:45:52 PM
Quote from: The Worker on April 09, 2014, 09:44:25 PM
Now impossible for utd to win a competition this season and over a week to Easter. Possibly for the first time in over a quarter of a century.

Too many players not up to scratch, abstract tactics and no leadership. Bleak period beckons.
Barca looking at a period of reflection as well
All good things come to an end

Barca are in next seasons champs league, copa del rey final and are in with a shout of the league. Not really comparable.
That team of super midgets are past it. Not as messy as under the Glazers but a similar sporting dynamic. The 7-0 Bayern drubbing last year was a sign. Guardiola left at the right time.

deiseach

AZOffaly

Did Moyes just admit to tapping up transfer targets? :D

QuoteUnited bowed out of Europe on Wednesday evening, going down 3-1 to Bayern Munich in the Allianz Arena, which gave the reigning European champions a 4-2 aggregate win.

The result means that, for the first time since 1995, United are highly unlikely to be present at Europe's top table next season.

After the defeat in Munich, Moyes told Sky Sports: "We have not got Champions League football, that's the way it looks, but I believe that it is not far away, and hopefully it will be one year away.

"We have got to rebuild and our focus is to get a team that can get back into this competition. It is a great competition - we have really enjoyed it - and there is no shame in going out to Bayern Munich."

Moyes was asked whether he believed his job might be in some doubt, after his failure to get into the Champions League.

"That is not a question for me, as my job is just to get on and do the job," he insisted.

"I have found everyone at the club very good, and my focus is to get a side that gets us back in the Champions League and that is the main objective."

Moyes insists that the club's hierarchy are backing him and plans to rebuild the side are already in motion. He insists not being in the Champions League will not hamper their pursuit of any of their top targets.

"The club have never had any problems, on anything we have talked about" added Moyes. "The club are looking to spend the right money on the right players that are available. It has nothing to do with Champions League football.

"Any players that we have sort of quietly discussed with, I think they are more than happy to join Manchester United.

"The ones who quietly, someone might have had a word in their ear, have all been keen to come as it is a short thing and not a long thing and they are all very keen to join such a great club."

Unlucky
Turning to the game, and Moyes felt his side were unlucky, having actually taken the lead in the Allianz Arena through Patrice Evra's 57th-minute strike.

But United could not defend their lead, as Mario Mandzukic levelled just seconds after the re-start, before Thomas Muller and Arjen Robben settled the tie.

"When you're a schoolboy, you get told to make sure that when you score, you don't concede straight away. We conceded too quickly," he admitted.

"It was always going to be a tough night and once we got the first goal, we had to give ourselves five or 10 minutes where we could stop them getting the ball but from the kick-off, they went up the pitch and scored.

"I don't know whether it was a bit of concentration, thrilled we got the goal but we have got enough experience on the pitch where we should have done it - but they didn't do an awful lot wrong tonight, I thought the players played ever so well, and I was pleased with the performance and just a couple of small errors that cost us in the end.

"I never thought we were out of the game, I always thought we were in with a chance and at 2-1, we needed just to get that goal to get back to 2-2, but that third goal killed us. That didn't go for us, and I thought that was a bit of bad luck.

"They are a really good side and they showed it, but I thought we did what we had to do tonight - I thought we came here and made it difficult for them. Tactically we tried to stifle them as much as possible but if you lose a goal just after we score, it makes things really difficult."

AZOffaly

Yeah, I saw that too. He's just finding it very hard to believe he's at one of the biggest clubs in the world. He should be gutted at going out, not doing his best 'The lads can be proud of themselves against this great team'.

Maybe he's too honest, but I doubt you'd ever hear auld Ferguson saying anything like that. He'd be calling the ref seven shades of a bastard. (The ref did nothing wrong).

magpie seanie

Since the Liverpool/Man City debacles I think there are signs of modest improvement and of the manager coming to terms with the job facing him. At least he is picking the team closer to what it should be and has shown signs of using the right tactics though it could be argued that they are limited and/or enforced upon him. I don't have great faith in him and never thought he should have got the job but to me it looks like United are going to stick with him so let's just hope he learns on the job. 

United need two full backs who can defend as well as attack. They need a central midfielder who can sit, pass and control a game to an extent (what Carrick fails miserably to do against the top sides, he was poor last night). Another centre back (or 2) is required to go along with Smalling, Jones & Evans. Up front a lot depends on whether RVP and Chicarito stay. I hope both do but if either or both leave a suitable replacement will be needed.

I love an old style winger and United have traditionally operated with them but I can see that the old style 4-4-2 is dead. Fullbacks are the new wingers. United need to do everything they can to get Coleman. He is the prototype of a modern fullback. Everton making 4th could scupper that. Shaw too probably but if I am honest I haven't seen enough of him and he seems destined for Chelsea.

To hit the ground running next year I would hope that a lot of these signings are made early and are players who are used to "the hustle and bustle of the Premier League"  ;D . Seriously though, United can't afford a slow start next season. 4 or 5 in and United will be strong enough next year. Europa League - not too concerned either way. If United are in it then play the reserves in the group stages (squad is big enough) and if you get through to the knockouts then reassess.

yellowcard

Moyes future will hang in the balance in the Summer imo. He has managed to salvage a bit of pride in the last few games though and a strong finish to the seaon with Mata to the forefront may help him secure his future for another season. He will need to invest heavily in the Summer though to ensure a top 4 finish next season. As many of 7 or 8 of those players are not good enough.

Incidentally another dire performance from Rooney in a big game last night, ill befitting of the best paid footballer in Europe. Totally over rated player, Ferguson is no mug and he wanted to ship him out a year ago. His salary is the benchmark for any big name summer signings now especially with no CL football to offer as a carrott. That will present a major problem. 

gawa316

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 10, 2014, 11:21:27 AM

QuoteUnited bowed out of Europe on Wednesday evening, going down 3-1 to Bayern Munich in the Allianz Arena, which gave the reigning European champions a 4-2 aggregate win.

The result means that, for the first time since 1995, United are highly unlikely to be present at Europe's top table next season.

After the defeat in Munich, Moyes told Sky Sports: "We have not got Champions League football, that's the way it looks, but I believe that it is not far away, and hopefully it will be one year away.

"We have got to rebuild and our focus is to get a team that can get back into this competition. It is a great competition - we have really enjoyed it - and there is no shame in going out to Bayern Munich."

Moyes was asked whether he believed his job might be in some doubt, after his failure to get into the Champions League.

"That is not a question for me, as my job is just to get on and do the job," he insisted.

"I have found everyone at the club very good, and my focus is to get a side that gets us back in the Champions League and that is the main objective."

Moyes insists that the club's hierarchy are backing him and plans to rebuild the side are already in motion. He insists not being in the Champions League will not hamper their pursuit of any of their top targets.

"The club have never had any problems, on anything we have talked about" added Moyes. "The club are looking to spend the right money on the right players that are available. It has nothing to do with Champions League football.

"Any players that we have sort of quietly discussed with, I think they are more than happy to join Manchester United.

"The ones who quietly, someone might have had a word in their ear, have all been keen to come as it is a short thing and not a long thing and they are all very keen to join such a great club."

Unlucky
Turning to the game, and Moyes felt his side were unlucky, having actually taken the lead in the Allianz Arena through Patrice Evra's 57th-minute strike.

But United could not defend their lead, as Mario Mandzukic levelled just seconds after the re-start, before Thomas Muller and Arjen Robben settled the tie.

"When you're a schoolboy, you get told to make sure that when you score, you don't concede straight away. We conceded too quickly," he admitted.

"It was always going to be a tough night and once we got the first goal, we had to give ourselves five or 10 minutes where we could stop them getting the ball but from the kick-off, they went up the pitch and scored.

"I don't know whether it was a bit of concentration, thrilled we got the goal but we have got enough experience on the pitch where we should have done it - but they didn't do an awful lot wrong tonight, I thought the players played ever so well, and I was pleased with the performance and just a couple of small errors that cost us in the end.

"I never thought we were out of the game, I always thought we were in with a chance and at 2-1, we needed just to get that goal to get back to 2-2, but that third goal killed us. That didn't go for us, and I thought that was a bit of bad luck.

"They are a really good side and they showed it, but I thought we did what we had to do tonight - I thought we came here and made it difficult for them. Tactically we tried to stifle them as much as possible but if you lose a goal just after we score, it makes things really difficult."

Thought that myself at the time...maybe it was as scholes he was talking about

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: gawa316 on April 10, 2014, 02:55:31 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 10, 2014, 11:21:27 AM

Unlucky

Thought that myself at the time...maybe it was as scholes he was talking about

Tony Hibbo  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: yellowcard on April 10, 2014, 02:20:12 PM
Moyes future will hang in the balance in the Summer imo. He has managed to salvage a bit of pride in the last few games though and a strong finish to the seaon with Mata to the forefront may help him secure his future for another season. He will need to invest heavily in the Summer though to ensure a top 4 finish next season. As many of 7 or 8 of those players are not good enough.

Incidentally another dire performance from Rooney in a big game last night
, ill befitting of the best paid footballer in Europe. Totally over rated player, Ferguson is no mug and he wanted to ship him out a year ago. His salary is the benchmark for any big name summer signings now especially with no CL football to offer as a carrott. That will present a major problem.

Are you saying Rooney underperforms in the big games? Hmmm
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2014, 03:16:22 PM

, ill befitting of the best paid footballer in Europe. Totally over rated player, Ferguson is no mug and he wanted to ship him out a year ago. His salary is the benchmark for any big name summer signings now especially with no CL football to offer as a carrott. That will present a major problem.

I think last night he had a legitimate excuse with his toe, watching him run even looked painful.

Thing about it was that with a bit more composure in the last third even in the first half there were goals in the Bayern defence. I am not blinkered enough to say that United could have held on for the win, but i'm thinking of the chance Rooney squandered when he should have played Kagawa in and the Valencia one were he was looking along the line and didnt need to be caught off side.

Tiredness played a part in the goals, but I suppose when you dont dominate the ball you are going to end up more tired than the opposition.

PS are there two more hateful figures in Europe than Roben and Ribiery  ;)

yellowcard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2014, 03:16:22 PM

Not JUST necessarily in big games but yes he has failed to stamp his mark on a lot of big games over the years that other top players have. I have stated before when Rooney is bad he is horrid and last night was just another instance of him going missing. He was clearly having one of those games last night where he just looked a very average player. Rooney has talent but his attitude and application have held him back and his best days are already behind him imo. Compare his performance to say Robben who was arguably MOTM last night. Robben wouldn't receive the hype or salary of Rooney but I've seen him leave his stamp on infinitely more big games than Wayne Rooney ever has.

Technically Rooney is capable of producing pieces of skill that no other English player can on his day, but those are just fleeting moments. He has a £300k 5 year contract in the bag which will take him to near the end of his career and for a player that has struggled with fitness and injuries he must be pinching himself every time he gets up in the morning at the thought of earning another £43k for his days work.

nrico2006

Rooney was injured last night.  He has been unfortunate that he has picked up injuries prior to big games for both England and United in the past.  To say he is useless is crazy, he has had a good season for United in a team playing dung.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

yellowcard

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 10, 2014, 04:23:44 PM
Rooney was injured last night.  He has been unfortunate that he has picked up injuries prior to big games for both England and United in the past.  To say he is useless is crazy, he has had a good season for United in a team playing dung.

If he was injured then he shouldn't have been played. However he has failed to produce in many other big games for England and Man Utd when uninjured. He definitely hasn't got that same explosive power he had as a youngster and I'd put that down largely to his attitude, fitness levels and lifestyle. However he will be indulged and defended by many pundits within the inner circle of the English media.

David Moyes will have a job to try and fit Mata, Rooney and Kagawa into the same team when they are all fit.