Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryBreensBandage

In ways I have sympathy for Rooney (career wise) because no manager has ever built their team around him as an out and out striker. He has always played second violin and has probably suffered because of his all round ability.
Paradoxically, it is this very ability that excuses him year in year out for not scoring enough goals. The old line of 'look what he does for the team' lets him off the hook when it comes down to doing what he should be doing - scoring 30 plus goals every season.
Rooney hides behind this, and the fact that the team have been labelled not good enough helps him to hide.
Furthermore, it has started to rub off on Wellbeck who spends more time outfield than in a scoring position. FFS before RVP got injured, he nearly lived out on the wing - not taking the responsibility he has shown his whole career.
That is why i have so much respect for the likes of Diego Forlan, who kept plying his out-and out striker trade which eventually paid off with a first class career for Villareal, Atletico and Uruguay
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

magpie seanie

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on April 11, 2014, 01:41:48 PM
In ways I have sympathy for Rooney (career wise) because no manager has ever built their team around him as an out and out striker. He has always played second violin and has probably suffered because of his all round ability.
Paradoxically, it is this very ability that excuses him year in year out for not scoring enough goals. The old line of 'look what he does for the team' lets him off the hook when it comes down to doing what he should be doing - scoring 30 plus goals every season.
Rooney hides behind this, and the fact that the team have been labelled not good enough helps him to hide.
Furthermore, it has started to rub off on Wellbeck who spends more time outfield than in a scoring position. FFS before RVP got injured, he nearly lived out on the wing - not taking the responsibility he has shown his whole career.
That is why i have so much respect for the likes of Diego Forlan, who kept plying his out-and out striker trade which eventually paid off with a first class career for Villareal, Atletico and Uruguay

There were a couple of season where Rooney scored 30-40 goals when he did play up front exclusively. He will probably finish his career as Manchester United's highest scorer ever.

Amazing how poor Forlan looked at United, though he never stopped trying.

NAG1

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 11, 2014, 02:44:53 PM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on April 11, 2014, 01:41:48 PM

There were a couple of season where Rooney scored 30-40 goals when he did play up front exclusively. He will probably finish his career as Manchester United's highest scorer ever.

Amazing how poor Forlan looked at United, though he never stopped trying.

I think the United fans were really good with Forlan everyone could see he was trying, he probably just hit at a bad time, RVN was banging them in and Forlan couldnt get a successive run of games, I think maybe if he had of got them he could have showed his true quality but all ifs and buts now.

Shrewdness

Wouldn't give Forlan any plaudits for 'trying'. That's the very basic requirement demanded of every player by the club and it's paying supporters. I'm sure Forlan was financially very well rewarded while he was 'trying'.

Megaman

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 11, 2014, 04:31:07 PM
Wouldn't give Forlan any plaudits for 'trying'. That's the very basic requirement demanded of every player by the club and it's paying supporters. I'm sure Forlan was financially very well rewarded while he was 'trying'.

This is what sickens me about soccer players, well i suppose mainly pundits

they rant and rave about a soccer player who works his socks off........ hes getting paid tens / hundreds of thousands of pounds a week, every one of them should be working their socks off ffs

rant over!!!!

TabClear

who is world class in the premier league at the minute? based on the "world squad" concept I would say kompany, suarez, hazard,ageuro and toure (kolo)  :P.

But when I look at that there are 3 attacking players. bring in Ronaldo, messi and costa from Spain,  zlatan and cavani from France and you have half the squad filed with attacking players before even getting to Germany, Italy etc.

On that basis rooney isn't even close.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: TabClear on April 11, 2014, 06:46:40 PM
who is world class in the premier league at the minute? based on the "world squad" concept I would say kompany, suarez, hazard,ageuro and toure (kolo)  :P.

But when I look at that there are 3 attacking players. bring in Ronaldo, messi and costa from Spain,  zlatan and cavani from France and you have half the squad filed with attacking players before even getting to Germany, Italy etc.

On that basis rooney isn't even close.

Bar his age John Terry is still world class, and I'd be surprised to see anyone better than Cesar Azpillicueta this season at full back.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Shrewdness

Get ye're heads around this. Tom Cleverley and Danny Welbeck were photographed dancing on the street at 3.20am this morning( Friday) in Manchester, just over 24 hours after United's shambles of a season saw them exit Europe. Yes, they were out on their own time, but surely this too much.

trueblue1234

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

magpie seanie

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 11, 2014, 10:56:01 PM
Get ye're heads around this. Tom Cleverley and Danny Welbeck were photographed dancing on the street at 3.20am this morning( Friday) in Manchester, just over 24 hours after United's shambles of a season saw them exit Europe. Yes, they were out on their own time, but surely this too much.

Are you for real? They have no game until Sunday week and have a little time off. Pure trash "journalism" if you ask me. "Young lads in night out shocker" - give me strength.

Shrewdness

Nobody begrudges them a night out Seanie. 

brokencrossbar1

Classy bit of stuff Danny, obviously Waynetta has been giving him tips about more things than football!!!

under the bar

Danny Welbeck in "chatting up a bit of skirt on a night out" shocker!

Brendan Rodgers on the other hand likes to keep these things in house... .and mostly to himself by all accounts.

snoopdog

2 young lads having a night out. Uniteds season is over for this year and don't play till next sunday. Get a life ffs. Lets face it Cleverley and Welbeck are far from the future of united especially cleverly, let them drink all summer

Shrewdness

Nice to see Steve Bruce getting a big day out at Wembley in an FA Cup Final. Wouldn't be one bit surprised to see Hull beat Arsenal.