Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christmas Lights

Awful timing from Ferguson to release his book now when United are in dissaray.

Typical of him though, always thinking of himself.  E

nd of last season he annouces that Wayne Rooney had handed in a transfer request and left Moyes to pick up the pieces. He had absolutely no need to do that, as if the manager replacing him wasnt going to be under enoiugh pressure.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Christmas Lights on October 22, 2013, 05:31:57 PM
Awful timing from Ferguson to release his book now when United are in dissaray.

Typical of him though, always thinking of himself.  E

nd of last season he annouces that Wayne Rooney had handed in a transfer request and left Moyes to pick up the pieces. He had absolutely no need to do that, as if the manager replacing him wasnt going to be under enoiugh pressure.

Fair point but books need to be out by Christmas

From the Bunker

Quote from: EC Unique on October 22, 2013, 05:19:28 PM
Looking forward to reading it. Has a few digs at Rafa in it.

A Manchester Utd Manager showing disdain for a Liverpool Manager. Surely that won't improve sales? ;)

screenexile

The more I think about it the more of a w**ker he becomes. . . Beckham, Keane, Rooney were exceptional for him at one stage or another and he lambasts them. Without the players he had he wouldn't be the man he is and he should recognise that rather than have cheap digs at them!

As I always beliveved he is a grade A **** and today has done nothing but reinforce that!!!!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: screenexile on October 23, 2013, 12:40:11 AM
The more I think about it the more of a w**ker he becomes. . . Beckham, Keane, Rooney were exceptional for him at one stage or another and he lambasts them. Without the players he had he wouldn't be the man he is and he should recognise that rather than have cheap digs at them!

As I always beliveved he is a grade A **** and today has done nothing but reinforce that!!!!

Was there something he said about those three players that wasn't the truth?

Minder

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 23, 2013, 01:56:53 AM

Any need to bring out *another* book to say it ? I am sure there is plenty they could say about Ferguson.

Are you still a "neutral" when it comes to football ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

EC Unique

He'll be gutted you feel that way :'(

Mayo4Sam

Good point by Keane re loyalty
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

deiseach

I recall a Madrid player expressing his admiration for David Beckham's willingness to bust a gut on the pitch and be a team player. Ferguson's comments about Beckham say more about Ferguson than Beckham.

gallsman

Quote from: deiseach on October 23, 2013, 09:49:37 AM

I recall a Madrid player expressing his admiration for David Beckham's willingness to bust a gut on the pitch and be a team player. Ferguson's comments about Beckham say more about Ferguson than Beckham.

Capello came in and benched him as he didn't rate him and thought he was just a pretty boy. Beckham worked his arse off and forced Capello to backtrack and bring him into the side again. Madrid contemporaries like Roberto Carlos and Zidane had nothing but the highest praise for him. I've nothing but the utmost respect for Beckham, whilst also acknowledging that Ferguson is right about him "seeking fame".

Don't think it's Ferguson's place to comment on Beckham's move to LA. It clearly wasn't for footballing reasons but by that stage he hadn't been a United player for four years, was 32, had realistically achieved everything he was going to achieve and Madrid was becoming an increasingly poisonous club.

johnneycool

Quote from: deiseach on October 23, 2013, 09:49:37 AM

The 'accidental' boot strike was a blessing in disguise for Beckham, his stock in world football wouldn't have been as high as if he'd stayed in Manchester.

Wee Roddy

Any interview I have read regarding transcripts from the book have made Fergie look like a bully and the biggest egotist of all the players he has lambasted. True he is the manager and should have the final say if anyone over steps the mark, but he should remember that a lot of these men have made him the manager he is. Keane, Stam, Van Nistelroy etc were not part of Utds academy and gave the best years of their lives to him. The fact that Beckham managed to change Capellos mind about him speaks volume for his work ethic.

NAG1

Quote from: Wee Roddy on October 23, 2013, 10:56:35 AM
Any interview I have read regarding transcripts from the book have made Fergie look like a bully and the biggest egotist of all the players he has lambasted. True he is the manager and should have the final say if anyone over steps the mark, but he should remember that a lot of these men have made him the manager he is. Keane, Stam, Van Nistelroy etc were not part of Utds academy and gave the best years of their lives to him. The fact that Beckham managed to change Capellos mind about him speaks volume for his work ethic.

Settle down lads, yes these boys gave massive commitment and I am a fan of them as much as any United fan, but lets not forget these boys were paid by the million. I include the home grown boys too in that. At the end of the day it is a business, rightly or wrongly with what Ferguson has said about some of the players. If you look at the BBC interview, you can see the affection that he holds Beckham in, but at the time a business/ football decision needed made and Ferguson made that decision as that is what he was paid to do. As he did with the other boys.

gallsman

Quote from: NAG1 on October 23, 2013, 11:39:48 AM
Quote from: Wee Roddy on October 23, 2013, 10:56:35 AM

Settle down lads, yes these boys gave massive commitment and I am a fan of them as much as any United fan, but lets not forget these boys were paid by the million. I include the home grown boys too in that. At the end of the day it is a business, rightly or wrongly with what Ferguson has said about some of the players. If you look at the BBC interview, you can see the affection that he holds Beckham in, but at the time a business/ football decision needed made and Ferguson made that decision as that is what he was paid to do. As he did with the other boys.

I don't think anybody is questioning Ferguson's decisions during his time in charge, just whether it's right to bring it up in a book ten years later in Beckham's case. I'm fairly sure any of them could write a book that paints Ferguson in equally as bad a light, but they haven't and (presumably) won't.

BennyCake

Everyone loves a juicy story, and I read quite a few sporting autobiographies myself, but sometimes too much is revealed. Things in the dressing room and the like should be left in the dressing room. Players who battled together, then one discloses stuff that may have been a totally private conversation, can't be good for relationships, particularly if they still are involved together in football.

Brolly name-drops all the time in his column. I'm sure some boys have been a bit embarrassed by things he's quoted in his column. Im surprised anyone talks to him anymore.