Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefaircounty

Will be interesting to see if the press have the balls to say Ferguson was beaten by these so-called 'mind-games,' seeing as for years every interview he has ever done has been considered cunning mind games. Overblown load of bollixs anyway, if you lose ala United this year or Newcastle that time, it's not mind games, your players and managers have not performed. Same shit with Liverpool a few years ago, we had more points per game after Benitez's 'rant', United just hit an incredible patch of form. i hate the mind-games chatter, as you can tell, it's a media driven shitehawk thing.

Anyway, United losing was shocking. The Wigan defeat looked a blip at the time. Cracking drama yesterday. United need to bulk up the central midfield and the full-backs this summer if they are to stay in touch with a City team that will surely only grow from here.

Don't like the lad, but looking at it from a footballing view, is it unfair to say that Evra should;t be a guaranteed starter anymore? Have't been impressed with him in a couple of seasons now, although he had set the bar very highly.

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on May 14, 2012, 10:44:24 AM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on May 14, 2012, 10:28:47 AM
Priceless   ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYyLXt-wfqY&feature=relmfu

His face doesn't budge. About the only reaction is him briefly lifting his arms. He was disappointingly magnanimous in defeat.

He was. I thought he handled himself well yesterday on the interviews I saw.

Minder

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 14, 2012, 12:33:25 PM
Quote from: deiseach on May 14, 2012, 10:44:24 AM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on May 14, 2012, 10:28:47 AM
Priceless   ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYyLXt-wfqY&feature=relmfu

His face doesn't budge. About the only reaction is him briefly lifting his arms. He was disappointingly magnanimous in defeat.

He was. I thought he handled himself well yesterday on the interviews I saw.

He did, other than the "they played 30 minutes against 10 men, and then they had an extra five minutes to help them" as if injury time was just introduced yesterday, and only for the City game.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stew

Fair play to City, they deserved the win over the course of the year, United were rocked by injuries to key men as were city so no excuse there, City have done what United have done of the last two decades, bought the PL Title and they look to be unstoppable at this stage, the only way anyone else can compete with them is for them to outspend city, that is not going to happen anytime soon.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

NAG1

Stew,

I would think you will find that other clubs have spent more money than you united in the intervening period, maybe just didnt get the quality that United got at times for it.

BennyCake

I remember saying at the time, that the point City rescued against Sunderland could prove costly. I was right.

But, this will be better for United in the long run, because they know strengthening is needed. And Fergie will want to put City in their place next year.

EC Unique

Quote from: BennyCake on May 14, 2012, 01:37:56 PM
I remember saying at the time, that the point City rescued against Sunderland could prove costly. I was right.

But, this will be better for United in the long run, because they know strengthening is needed. And Fergie will want to put City in their place next year.

After the dust settled yesterday that is what I thought. Maybe now some proven players will be bought. If Utd had of scraped by yesterday, which they were seconds from doing, the yanks may have thought they were good enough. They are not and need to strengthen. A starting central mid fielder needed as well as cover for both full backs and a striker. Will it happen? Who knows...

Bingo

Quote from: EC Unique on May 14, 2012, 01:46:42 PM

After the dust settled yesterday that is what I thought. Maybe now some proven players will be bought. If Utd had of scraped by yesterday, which they were seconds from doing, the yanks may have thought they were good enough. They are not and need to strengthen. A starting central mid fielder needed as well as cover for both full backs and a striker. Will it happen? Who knows...

Serious question EC, do you not think Fergie needs a rap on the knuckles over the spending? He spent big in the summer on 3 players - De Gea, Jones and Young. I'd say the Jones one was forced as other clubs where ready to move. But given the way the season has went, I don't think he has spent wisely and United from end of last season are weaker despite this outlay.

NAG1

Bingo, people were raving about Young at the start of the season he was flying picked up a bit of an injury and lost a bit of form, De Gea has come good toward the end of the season and Jones was up and down like any young player.

Thing is these guys will be better for this season under their belt a years experience, hopefully to be supplemented this summer with more experienced Mid field / striking options.

Bingo

Quote from: NAG1 on May 14, 2012, 02:24:08 PM
Bingo, people were raving about Young at the start of the season he was flying picked up a bit of an injury and lost a bit of form, De Gea has come good toward the end of the season and Jones was up and down like any young player.

Thing is these guys will be better for this season under their belt a years experience, hopefully to be supplemented this summer with more experienced Mid field / striking options.

More my point been that the money was spent in wrong places. Young had Nani, Valencia and Giggs on the wings with him. Plenty of cover. De Gea came good in that he started to look like a keeper - prior to that he was all over the place. He still doesn't look in the top 10 keepers in the premiership but he did improve. Jones was hardly noticed in the run.

Scholes had to be called back onboard but on this thread if you looked back this time last year, it was the one key area that was needed - centre midfield, not 1 but maybe 2 players. None arrived.

The three players where all good signings and will be but were they they right players at the wrong time.

ballinaman

Midfield - Shinji Kagawa from Dortmund

Defence- Clyne from Crystal Palace

Hazard will go to City, he'll start ahead of Nasri I'd bet. Gaitan would be a bonus for united.

Can see Martinez from Bilbao to Barcelona along with Alba from Valenica. Muniain will stay at Bilbao for another season, cracking player in the making there.

Out

Berbatov
Kusczak
Bebe
De Laet
Park? Legs are shot.
Anderson?

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: NAG1 on May 14, 2012, 02:24:08 PM

He was flying at the end of the season too, well jumping through the air anyways  ;)

EC Unique

Quote from: Bingo on May 14, 2012, 02:05:07 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on May 14, 2012, 01:46:42 PM

Serious question EC, do you not think Fergie needs a rap on the knuckles over the spending? He spent big in the summer on 3 players - De Gea, Jones and Young. I'd say the Jones one was forced as other clubs where ready to move. But given the way the season has went, I don't think he has spent wisely and United from end of last season are weaker despite this outlay.

The 3 listed were bought with the future in mind.

DeGea has come good and in the second half of the season he certainly looked better than 'not in the top 10'.

Young has shown flashes of brilliance but not consistantly enough and goes to ground a bit easy :P Ronaldo could have been described in the same way after a season or 2. He will develop.

Jones I thought did OK but is very young for his position. Will come good.

I think Fergie is trying to build a new team with the young signings. Utd cannot win the league every year and must be in transition sometimes.

If Fergie is to get his Knuckles rapped for anything this year it would be his team selection away to City a couple of weeks ago. Very bad day at the office I think.

The problem in the transfer market is as he says value. If Utd are connected to a player all of a sudden all the other clubs want him as well and then not only does the price go sky high but the wages too. Fergie hates football agents and I can understand why.

Declan

QuoteFergie hates football agents and I can understand why.

except when they are related to him ;)

SambaSaffron

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on May 14, 2012, 09:49:05 AM
Quote from: The Worker on May 13, 2012, 08:21:53 PM
I hope you're in good Kompany. I can imagine this is a difficult time for United fans. Don't take it to Hart. Yaya gotta keep your head up. It wont be De Jong before you're smiling again. Look for the Silva lining. It may sound a bit Clichy but you'll be okay.

For a Celtic fan & general Premier League hater... you spend a lot of time posting on this thread in particular! Scottish football getting the better of you? Gary hooper (former Scunthorpe super star) not taking our fancy after his 5 goals at the weekend?
Why put 'former Scunthorpe super star' in your post? Is that meant to be some sort of insult, that he used to play for a Champonship team? A relegated team who he still scored 20+ goals for.

Delighted to see United getting done over. ;D