Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

He is definitely pissed off bc1. He's been spouting about the 5 mins injury time, the money City have available and the fact that ""It will take them a century to get our level of history."

He's clearly seething and although he said well done on the day he's said anything but since. I think he's not happy with the constraints being put on him at present by the Glazers and should he not win the title back next year I can't see him hanging around!

NAG1

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 15, 2012, 12:22:54 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on May 14, 2012, 02:39:21 PM
Quote from: Bingo on May 14, 2012, 02:05:07 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on May 14, 2012, 01:46:42 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 14, 2012, 01:37:56 PM
I remember saying at the time, that the point City rescued against Sunderland could prove costly. I was right.

But, this will be better for United in the long run, because they know strengthening is needed. And Fergie will want to put City in their place next year.

After the dust settled yesterday that is what I thought. Maybe now some proven players will be bought. If Utd had of scraped by yesterday, which they were seconds from doing, the yanks may have thought they were good enough. They are not and need to strengthen. A starting central mid fielder needed as well as cover for both full backs and a striker. Will it happen? Who knows...

Serious question EC, do you not think Fergie needs a rap on the knuckles over the spending? He spent big in the summer on 3 players - De Gea, Jones and Young. I'd say the Jones one was forced as other clubs where ready to move. But given the way the season has went, I don't think he has spent wisely and United from end of last season are weaker despite this outlay.

The 3 listed were bought with the future in mind.
DeGea has come good and in the second half of the season he certainly looked better than 'not in the top 10'.

Young has shown flashes of brilliance but not consistantly enough and goes to ground a bit easy :P Ronaldo could have been described in the same way after a season or 2. He will develop.

Jones I thought did OK but is very young for his position. Will come good.

I think Fergie is trying to build a new team with the young signings. Utd cannot win the league every year and must be in transition sometimes.

If Fergie is to get his Knuckles rapped for anything this year it would be his team selection away to City a couple of weeks ago. Very bad day at the office I think.

The problem in the transfer market is as he says value. If Utd are connected to a player all of a sudden all the other clubs want him as well and then not only does the price go sky high but the wages too. Fergie hates football agents and I can understand why.

A goalkeeper should not be bought with the future in mind.  If that is the case only do so when you have an aging established no 1.  De Gea was bought to be the present and the future.  Jones was bought for the future.  Young I have to disagree.  He will be 27 in 2 months time so I would hardly say he was bought with the future in mind.  He is coming to what would be considered to be a players peak. 

If you mirror this with the Liverpool situation and the players bought and castigated by many, Henderson, Downing and Carroll.  Downing was in similar form to Young when Liverpool bought him and are a similar age.  Downing has been shite.  Henderson and Carroll are simialr ages to the 2 United players.  Liverpool certainly overpaid for Carroll but I don't think they did for Henderson and he will prove to be good value, kind of reminds me of the Carrick deal for United only less money and 3 years younger.  Carrick is a decent player and has been an important player for United and much under rated.  It is amazing the free ride that Ferguson gets from the press over his transfer dealings in comparison to other managers, particularly Liverpool manager.

Anyway what's all the man lover for Fergie on here in relation to his magnanimous attitude, f**k him, he's seething and I hope he is feeling really f**king pissed off.

I would hope he is seething along with the players. Wouldnt have it any other way.

De Gea was a great keeper in Spain but he has taken time to settle into the EPL understandable, shows the strength of character to fight through a tough start and come through the other side.

I dont get your comparison here BC1, Young was on fire at the start of the season picked up and injury and lost a bit of form but still contributed well to the team pushing to the last day of the season and your comparing this to Stuart Downing? please

Even listening to Liverpool fans when Henderson gets the ball in some games is enough to tell you what the fans think of him. I have defended Carrick throughout his United career to other United fans, he was and still is a class act. Henderson is not in the same league not even close.

Carroll had a tough start for liverpool and has come good eventually but think the change in the style of play to accommodate him is a bit much.

Dont see the point your making here BC1

brokencrossbar1

I am simply comparing about the notion that they were born for the future.  Young is nearly 27 so he is not born for the future, he is born for the here and now.  I am not saying he didn't play well simply that he and Downing are similar ages and both bought for the here and now.  I also believe that Ferguson does get a lot more leeway with big money buys than the Liverpool managers do.   

AZOffaly

Ferguson wins titles. That probably explains a lot of the leeway.

NAG1

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 15, 2012, 01:00:30 PM
I am simply comparing about the notion that they were born for the future.  Young is nearly 27 so he is not born for the future, he is born for the here and now.  I am not saying he didn't play well simply that he and Downing are similar ages and both bought for the here and now.  I also believe that Ferguson does get a lot more leeway with big money buys than the Liverpool managers do.   

That's because he gets them right more times than wrong. Think you have to earn a bit of that leeway in the transfer market. If he had been constantly buying dummies he wouldnt have won what he has won.

Agree Young was bought for the hear and now, also was English to comply with the new rules soon to be brought in.

J70

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 15, 2012, 12:06:58 PM
Quote from: Minder on May 15, 2012, 12:01:45 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 15, 2012, 11:46:24 AM
Quote from: Minder on May 15, 2012, 08:50:18 AM
The QPR end celebrating the City winner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fW3CWNyYoBo

Sorry to disappoint Minder, but I was watching the ESPN coverage on Sunday. :D  They'd received news that the Bolton game finished just as Aguero scored.
I like my version better ! Why where they shouting "come on City" ?
And as it was taken on a phone the owner of said phone posted the youtube clip as "QPR fans reaction to City winner" not QPR fans reaction to Bolton match finishing, although it was a win-win situation at that stage.

Actually, my apologies to you both. You're right! I was watching the wrong clip. No mistake in that one... the QPR fans were cheering the Bolton result and then immediately starting shouting for City.  :D

ross4life

Quote from: screenexile on May 15, 2012, 12:29:52 PM
He is definitely pissed off bc1. He's been spouting about the 5 mins injury time, the money City have available and the fact that ""It will take them a century to get our level of history."

He's clearly seething and although he said well done on the day he's said anything but since. I think he's not happy with the constraints being put on him at present by the Glazers and should he not win the title back next year I can't see him hanging around!

I'd be more concerned if he wasn't pissed off & if it didn't hurt. It's the passion the drives him & the hate from others that gives him the desire the rise above it.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ross4life on May 15, 2012, 05:56:28 PM

I'd be more concerned if he wasn't pissed off & if it didn't hurt. It's the passion the drives him & the hate from others that gives him the desire the rise above it.
Rise above it? You having a laugh - he's about as bitter as they come, it is his own bitterness that drives him. Some of the comments from the end of season dinner were embarrassing in the extreme but no-one will be shocked by the cocktail of siege mentality and bitterness that oozes from Old Trafford every season.

ross4life

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 15, 2012, 06:08:08 PM

Rise above it? You having a laugh - he's about as bitter as they come, it is his own bitterness that drives him. Some of the comments from the end of season dinner were embarrassing in the extreme but no-one will be shocked by the cocktail of siege mentality and bitterness that oozes from Old Trafford every season.
Bitterness? he gave his congrats to City straight after the game. I don't believe United would have been as successful over the years without the hate.

Btw you need to watch the full interview from last night instead of using selective quotes from Rob Harris on twitter.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

laoislad

I'd say this one has hurt him the most. Throw in the fact that Mancini got the better of him in the so called mind games as well.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ross4life

Quote from: laoislad on May 15, 2012, 06:31:05 PM

I'd say this one has hurt him the most. Throw in the fact that Mancini got the better of him in the so called mind games as well.
I'd say it hurt no more than when Leeds over took Man united in 1992 or Blackburn in 1995 i guess Howard Wilkinson,Dalglish beat him in the so called mind games as well.

laoislad

Quote from: J70 on May 15, 2012, 01:27:34 PM

Sorry to disappoint Minder, but I was watching the ESPN coverage on Sunday. :D  They'd received news that the Bolton game finished just as Aguero scored.
And as it was taken on a phone the owner of said phone posted the youtube clip as "QPR fans reaction to City winner" not QPR fans reaction to Bolton match finishing, although it was a win-win situation at that stage.

Actually, my apologies to you both. You're right! I was watching the wrong clip. No mistake in that one... the QPR fans were cheering the Bolton result and then immediately starting shouting for City.  :D

QPR would want to be careful,Fergie has already told Sunderland fans he won't forget that they cheered when City scored.
Be afraid QPR,be very afraid...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on May 15, 2012, 06:36:18 PM

QPR would want to be careful,Fergie has already told Sunderland fans he won't forget that they cheered when City scored.
These boys should be checking under their cars...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEuBHXFPT_E

Where's your trophy gone, where's your trophy gone?

The Worker

Manchesters 2nd team in Belfast tonight.

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 15, 2012, 06:47:35 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 15, 2012, 06:36:18 PM

These boys should be checking under their cars...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEuBHXFPT_E

Where's your trophy gone, where's your trophy gone?

:D
I let out a fairly loud roar myself when Aguero scored.Probably should watch my back for a while.