Armagh v Down - USFC Semi-Final - Clones, 4pm, Sun 30th April

Started by balladmaker, April 24, 2023, 08:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Armagh have been a bit unlucky with the weather in the last two weeks, this will reduce the crowd and atmosphere.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

illdecide

I expect Armagh to win by 4-5pts today but expecting and reality are two different matters. The weather will only effect the numbers going to the game and not really the outcome of the game as both teams are evenly matched size wise and if anything Armagh came thru a game v Cavan in bad conditions which i expected to suit Cavan more so can't see some rain hampering Armagh. For me Armagh's bench is the stronger of the two and if things are not going to plan Armagh can spice it up. Some will say we have better players on the bench than what's starting so that's a major positive. Lets hope it's a happy journey home for the Armagh wans and a safe journey home for all...May the best team win
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

armaghniac

For those of us in South Armagh it will be slow journey home anyhow, when Down are playing.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Brick Tamlin

Down have a free hit agsinst a team weighed down by ridiculous expectation due to the odd good performance here and there. The hype around armagh has now brought them to a place where if they lose to the midgets from the mournes they will eat themselves from within.
It will be interesting to watch how they cope with the favourites tag and not have to go chasing down a result in the last 10mins relying on Riiiiiians frees. Will they go out and go for the win or will they come out cagey, beat the chest, get bogged down in nonsense and stumble over the line unconvincingly.

Today's bet is for armagh +3, down to score a goal and Riiiiian and mccabe both to get booked. Maybe nugent too.

square_ball

What's the story with Nugent? Co-captain but always on the bench. Is he still coming back from an injury or just out of form!

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on April 30, 2023, 11:37:43 AM
Down have a free hit agsinst a team weighed down by ridiculous expectation due to the odd good performance here and there. The hype around armagh has now brought them to a place where if they lose to the midgets from the mournes they will eat themselves from within.
It will be interesting to watch how they cope with the favourites tag and not have to go chasing down a result in the last 10mins relying on Riiiiiians frees. Will they go out and go for the win or will they come out cagey, beat the chest, get bogged down in nonsense and stumble over the line unconvincingly.

Today's bet is for armagh +3, down to score a goal and Riiiiian and mccabe both to get booked. Maybe nugent too.

Some rare stuff in this post.
Firstly,  can't see any signs of hype.
We are a div.1 team playing a div.3 team
On paper we should win. I haven't seen any prophecy of an annihilation or such like.
Down beat a VERY  poor Donegal team so it's impossible to say where they really are.
Down usually give us a decent game (1999 Ulster Final  notwithstanding) so do t see it being the cakewalk Antrim or Cavan were.

As for eating ourselves from within,  hardly likely. We have come to accept our lot (sometimes we underperform) sometimes we play really well.
Whatever happens today we'll turn up for the group games.

Brick Tamlin

I'm not buying it.
If armagh dont put down away convincingly youse are on the road to nowhere. After all you managed to beat the dubs in croke Park last year and are dining at the top table now mixing it regularly with the best of them. A team of runts from down should pose no problem.

Granted armagh are getting no younger, the underage has been a sham for years, mcgeeney should really go but county board too scared too deal with it. I think there'll be a degree of unrest through the county if they don't get over this banana skin unscathed.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: square_ball on April 30, 2023, 11:40:30 AM
What's the story with Nugent? Co-captain but always on the bench. Is he still coming back from an injury or just out of form!

Nugent wouldn't strike fear into a defence.

jmcgdoire

Armagh seem like an unknown with a bit of an identity crisis this season. a top tier team in ireland on their day but i still dont have faith in them showing up consistently.

Down by 1.

nrico2006

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 30, 2023, 01:03:47 PM

Nugent was very good last year, seems to be playing catch-up with missing most of the league through injury.

Derby games usually are tight but would expect Armagh to win this easily enough.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Nanderson

Heavens have opened in Clones. Wet conditions can be a good leveler and add something extra to the game

Wildweasel74

Armagh are the bigger team, playing at a higher level, Down still unknown as Donegal has literally fell through the floor and are going the Direction Derry did in 2015.

Nanderson

Rian starting for soupy. Anthony Doherty and donagh mcaleenan make way for shane annett and patrick brannigan

square_ball

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 30, 2023, 01:03:47 PM

Peter Teague from Tyrone would say different. Don't think he's a top tier forward by any stretch of the imagination but think he's decent enough any time I've seen him.

Estimator

Armagh already working on their 'high ball in' tactic in prep for the Ulster Final against Derry.  ;)
Ulster League Champions 2009