Armagh v Down - USFC Semi-Final - Clones, 4pm, Sun 30th April

Started by balladmaker, April 24, 2023, 08:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: seafoid on April 28, 2023, 04:00:04 PM
Quote from: Orior on April 28, 2023, 03:38:26 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on April 28, 2023, 11:41:17 AM
I fear for us on Sunday as if Armagh click they will be too strong. They hate us and will want to set down a marker.

I wouldn't use that noun.

Perhaps 'pity' as Down were once great, but now languish in Division 3.
Down are like Galway. They can go though decades of mediocrity but once they get a decent team together they can go all the way.

Come off it, they are on an upward trajectory alright but talk of them going all the way is a long way off. I think if they get beat on Sunday though they'll have a great chance of winning the Tailteann Cup which they could use as a springboard along with a few good U-20s coming through. 

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on April 28, 2023, 04:13:35 PM
I fear for us on Sunday as if Armagh click they will be too strong. They hate us and will want to set down a marker.

Down are like Galway. They can go though decades of mediocrity but once they get a decent team together they can go all the way.

Come off it, they are on an upward trajectory alright but talk of them going all the way is a long way off. I think if they get beat on Sunday though they'll have a great chance of winning the Tailteann Cup which they could use as a springboard along with a few good U-20s coming through.
They'll be at the top table in the not too distant future if they play their cards right. Unbelievable talent coming out of Burren especially and Laverty is a very, very shrewd operator. They will be a force soon.

yellowcard

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 28, 2023, 05:32:53 PM

They'll be at the top table in the not too distant future if they play their cards right. Unbelievable talent coming out of Burren especially and Laverty is a very, very shrewd operator. They will be a force soon.

If you mean challenging to win All Irelands then it is a huge leap to go from where Down presently are to competing at the level of Dublin or Kerry. They probably are where Derry were about 2 years ago so with proper structure and buy in it is definitely possible that they could get themselves up to division one level fairly soon but there is no guarantee either.

For all the talent coming out of Burren they have done very little at senior level in recent years though I suspect that a bit like Glen in Derry and once they win one title, they could go on to dominate in Down and possibly Ulster. However the correlation between having a very good club side and a strong county team isn't that strong so I wouldn't put too much credence on that. You only have to look at Kilcoos success and how Down have still hovered around division 2/3 standard for a good few years now.

Laverty trying to double job won't work in the long term either if he is serious about the senior team although I suspect that he is using the U-20's as a longer term development tool for the senior team project. You certainly can't argue with his track record to date although senior county management is more about having organisational, communication and business type skills than technical coaching so it remains to be seen if he is just a very good coach.       

seafoid

This team may not have it but when the next one comes along ...

naka

Quote from: seafoid on April 28, 2023, 05:51:04 PM

This team may not have it but when the next one comes along ...
Down are on an upward cycle and it's great to see
Let's hope the u20s stay in the country because I know a fair few down men who deserve to see their team at the top table
That saying
I hope we hammer them on Sunday

nrico2006

I dunno if Down are on the up, tomorrow will tell more. Can't really read much into last week and they couldn't get out of division 3.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ardtole

There is no doubt that Down have improved immeasurably since last year, we mightnt have got promoted, but Laverty used around 40 players over the 7 games.

We go into tomorrow's game as underdogs and we are also missing, our top midfielder in Murdock, our main attacker in O'Hagan and arguably our best wing back in Mooney. Ryan Magill is also unavailable and he played in the majority of league games.

Despite that Laverty has competition for places in most areas bar possibly midfield and full forward. OHagan and Murdock in particular are huge losses for Down, I was confident last week of beating Donegal and hopefully we can get over the line tomorrow.

Tomorrow's game will give a clearer insight into just how far we have improved under Laverty, Donegal were there for the taking last week and this week Armagh are under serious pressure. McGeeney hasn't made an ulster final in 9 attempts and if Armagh don't get over the line tomorrow the criticism from within will be fierce.

balladmaker

Quote from: ardtole on April 29, 2023, 04:06:21 PM
There is no doubt that Down have improved immeasurably since last year, we mightnt have got promoted, but Laverty used around 40 players over the 7 games.

We go into tomorrow's game as underdogs and we are also missing, our top midfielder in Murdock, our main attacker in O'Hagan and arguably our best wing back in Mooney. Ryan Magill is also unavailable and he played in the majority of league games.

Despite that Laverty has competition for places in most areas bar possibly midfield and full forward. OHagan and Murdock in particular are huge losses for Down, I was confident last week of beating Donegal and hopefully we can get over the line tomorrow.

Tomorrow's game will give a clearer insight into just how far we have improved under Laverty, Donegal were there for the taking last week and this week Armagh are under serious pressure. McGeeney hasn't made an ulster final in 9 attempts and if Armagh don't get over the line tomorrow the criticism from within will be fierce.

Both teams in an Ulster Semi-Final are under pressure ... more so Down if they want to make it into the All Ireland series, Armagh are already there ... yes, it's time for Armagh to deliver and reach a final.  Watching Derry today, they look formidable, but would make for a cracking contest in the Ulster Final.  30% chance of rain for the match tomorrow, hopefully it stays dry.  Safe travels all, looking forward to it!

ardtole

You can butter it up whatever way you want but tomorrow is a shot to nothing for Laverty and a potential banana skin for McGeeney.

Blowitupref

Quote from: ardtole on April 29, 2023, 10:50:14 PM
You can butter it up whatever way you want but tomorrow is a shot to nothing for Laverty and a potential banana skin for McGeeney.

Not a shot to nothing.  I'd say Laverty and his players would prefer Ulster final spot and three All Ireland group games to follow than play in the Tailteann Cup.

Last two Ulster championship meetings.

2019 - Armagh 2-17 Down 3-13 (after extra time)
2017 - Down 0-15 Armagh 2-7
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ardtole

balladmaker

Quote from: ardtole on April 29, 2023, 10:50:14 PM

Not buttering anything up. I expect Armagh to win with more than a few to spare.

Mourne Red

Quote from: ardtole on April 29, 2023, 11:26:45 PM
I don't dispute that for a minute.

I get what you are saying Ardtole and it's the way people in Down see it, we should be beating Donegal the state they are in and we did.. If we beat Armagh brilliant, if not then we aren't going to turn on the team like we have in the past - We'll go into the B Champ and hopefully to go deep into it and use it as a springboard for National League next year.

Could be a a few years development before we get into being a threat but we've good u20s to come in over next few years

ardtole

Armagh are considerably further down the line than us in their development. For Down it feels like this is the start of our journey and with the progress of our u20s it feels like there is a bit of substance and backbone to the squad and county set up in general.

Will Down be disappointed if we dont get over the line today, of course we will. But I think most supporters feel we are on the right track for the first time in a long time and there will be a certain consolation with that.

We are also going into this game without Barry O'Hagan which has been a huge blow for us (probably the reason we didn't get promoted), but I also think Barry's injury has disrupted Pat Haverns season to a certain extent because they had built up a very effective partnership and sometimes its only when someone is missing you realise just how many scoring opportunities they created as well as scored.

With Odhran Murdock missing too due to the u20s ruling it definitely hurts us at midfield.  It's the one area we don't have much strength in depth and injuries to Mark Walsh and Owen Costello haven't helped either.

Regardless I'm still looking forward to the game this afternoon and even though we have a few setbacks I still give us a good chance of another upset.

Walter Cronc

If Armagh have anything about them they will go and lay down a marker today.