Armagh v Down - USFC Semi-Final - Clones, 4pm, Sun 30th April

Started by balladmaker, April 24, 2023, 08:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

I know Armagh's midfield hasn't been great lately but do Down have the personnel to trouble us, especially if Rian plays out the field?

Don't concede goals (which we've been fairly good at this year) and we win the game imo. Kerr a huge danger man for them.

illdecide

Down are very similar to Armagh around 8 & 9, they are not great in midfield either so shouln't trouble us too much. I fancy Armagh to in this by 5pts
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

naka

Quote from: illdecide on April 26, 2023, 04:36:38 PM
Down are very similar to Armagh around 8 & 9, they are not great in midfield either so shouln't trouble us too much. I fancy Armagh to in this by 5pts
chatting to a few friends last night who are Down men and were quite honest.
reality is that if Armagh have any hopes for the Sam Groups they should be winning this by 6-8 points. Down are rebuilding and are short a couple of starters in Mooney, Murdock , the hilltown boy,etc
Armagh have been on this road for 7 years so should have no excuses

balladmaker

Down men will have a spring in their step after last night's U20 win. 

Latest weather shows 70% chance of rain around 4pm on Sunday.

yellowcard

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on April 26, 2023, 12:49:17 PM
Quote from: naka on April 26, 2023, 11:44:07 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 26, 2023, 09:23:25 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on April 26, 2023, 09:13:21 AM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on April 26, 2023, 12:59:10 AM
Quote from: onefaircounty on April 26, 2023, 12:46:04 AM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on April 26, 2023, 12:25:06 AM
Quote from: illdecide on April 25, 2023, 01:57:02 PM
Dunno who will start on Sunday but McPartlan deserves another dig at it for his two previous performances. I wouldn't be a big J Hall fan TBH but he has done much better the last few games too and them two probably will start again. I would bench O'Neill and introduce him to the action for the second half or earlier if needed. J Og Burns for me does not deserve to start, he's been injured and was poor enough last week. One thing we do know for starters is the following players will start and fill in the blanks after that...

Rafferty
McKay
Forker
Mackin
McCambridge (injury doubt)
McCabe
Crealey
Grugan
Campbell
Turbitt
Murnin

From the 11 above i expect to see...

McPartlan
Hall
Morgan or J Og Burns (Morgan was out for last weeks game)
O'Neill or Nugent

I think Conor O'Neill is pretty much nailed on when fit these days. Along with Forker, Mackin & JOB in defence.

When all other options are fit, I think it's two max from McKay, McCabe, McCambridge & Morgan. Maybe not quite enough transitional pace and threat going forward to carry too many of those four.

Conor O'Neill nailed on but McKay isn't, are you serious? McKay is one of the first names on the teamsheet.

I think Morgan has to start if fit, he looked really good last year and it would be good to set the tone against Down.

McKay is good no question, and will likely start every game he's fit for this year.

My point is more that O'Neill (and Forker, and Mackin, and Burns) carry with them another dimension going forward. That ability to be a genuine threat at pace on the transition is vital for a team that wants to play like this Armagh team wants to play.

I'm not sure how much of that sort of threat you get from McKay, Morgan, McCambridge, etc. - so I reckon there's a limit to the number of these guys you can carry and still play the type of football you want to play.

McCambridge carries a big attacking threat when he plays for CE. Granted he plays a a different kind of role for Armagh but he does have that in his locker
Same with Morgan for Cross he's definitely done that.
morgan was definitely attacking well against Antrim until he came off

Quite the pickle for Geezer, and one he needs to get correct to ensure Armagh get over the line.  Down appear to have a bit of speed breaking forward as shown against Donegal so that might play a factor in the starting team.  I would imagine Hall will start and pick up the like of Magill and try and limit his impact, as he was excellent last time out.  O'Neil has to start also, he needs minutes on the legs going into the round robin, regardless of this result.   

I can only see Armagh's main failing being in around midfield.  If Armagh are forced to go long with kickouts, Down have every chance of picking off scores directly from Armagh kickouts that could nudge them ahead.

Down don't push up on kick outs, against Donegal they conceded every kickout since they are weak at midfield. They retreat en masse into defence and then hope to turnover the ball and break quickly with runners. Its basically the Kilcoo blueprint being applied at inter county level which is nothing new at this stage.

Armagh aren't great at midfield either but they won't be exposed in this game and if they can kick quickly over the blanket to an inside combination of Turbitt/Murnin or Turbitt/O'Neill then they can do serious damage as Down are individually quite poor in defence. I expect Armagh will win this game by 6+ points.

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: yellowcard on April 27, 2023, 10:29:23 AM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on April 26, 2023, 12:49:17 PM
Quote from: naka on April 26, 2023, 11:44:07 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 26, 2023, 09:23:25 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on April 26, 2023, 09:13:21 AM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on April 26, 2023, 12:59:10 AM
Quote from: onefaircounty on April 26, 2023, 12:46:04 AM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on April 26, 2023, 12:25:06 AM
Quote from: illdecide on April 25, 2023, 01:57:02 PM
Dunno who will start on Sunday but McPartlan deserves another dig at it for his two previous performances. I wouldn't be a big J Hall fan TBH but he has done much better the last few games too and them two probably will start again. I would bench O'Neill and introduce him to the action for the second half or earlier if needed. J Og Burns for me does not deserve to start, he's been injured and was poor enough last week. One thing we do know for starters is the following players will start and fill in the blanks after that...

Rafferty
McKay
Forker
Mackin
McCambridge (injury doubt)
McCabe
Crealey
Grugan
Campbell
Turbitt
Murnin

From the 11 above i expect to see...

McPartlan
Hall
Morgan or J Og Burns (Morgan was out for last weeks game)
O'Neill or Nugent

I think Conor O'Neill is pretty much nailed on when fit these days. Along with Forker, Mackin & JOB in defence.

When all other options are fit, I think it's two max from McKay, McCabe, McCambridge & Morgan. Maybe not quite enough transitional pace and threat going forward to carry too many of those four.

Conor O'Neill nailed on but McKay isn't, are you serious? McKay is one of the first names on the teamsheet.

I think Morgan has to start if fit, he looked really good last year and it would be good to set the tone against Down.

McKay is good no question, and will likely start every game he's fit for this year.

My point is more that O'Neill (and Forker, and Mackin, and Burns) carry with them another dimension going forward. That ability to be a genuine threat at pace on the transition is vital for a team that wants to play like this Armagh team wants to play.

I'm not sure how much of that sort of threat you get from McKay, Morgan, McCambridge, etc. - so I reckon there's a limit to the number of these guys you can carry and still play the type of football you want to play.

McCambridge carries a big attacking threat when he plays for CE. Granted he plays a a different kind of role for Armagh but he does have that in his locker
Same with Morgan for Cross he's definitely done that.
morgan was definitely attacking well against Antrim until he came off

Quite the pickle for Geezer, and one he needs to get correct to ensure Armagh get over the line.  Down appear to have a bit of speed breaking forward as shown against Donegal so that might play a factor in the starting team.  I would imagine Hall will start and pick up the like of Magill and try and limit his impact, as he was excellent last time out.  O'Neil has to start also, he needs minutes on the legs going into the round robin, regardless of this result.   

I can only see Armagh's main failing being in around midfield.  If Armagh are forced to go long with kickouts, Down have every chance of picking off scores directly from Armagh kickouts that could nudge them ahead.

Down don't push up on kick outs, against Donegal they conceded every kickout since they are weak at midfield. They retreat en masse into defence and then hope to turnover the ball and break quickly with runners. Its basically the Kilcoo blueprint being applied at inter county level which is nothing new at this stage.

Armagh aren't great at midfield either but they won't be exposed in this game and if they can kick quickly over the blanket to an inside combination of Turbitt/Murnin or Turbitt/O'Neill then they can do serious damage as Down are individually quite poor in defence. I expect Armagh will win this game by 6+ points.

Agh fair enough, I watched glimpses of the Down/Donegal match so never picked up on that, i'm just analyzing Armagh's weakest link which is midfield for kickouts.  Heres hoping the weather doesn't ruin what should be a good game. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

naka

Armagh name same team that started agsinst Cavan
Rian, Mc Cambridge and James Morgan start on the bench
No news on Grimley not Tiernan Kelly

Armagh18

Would have started Rian tbh to get the miles in the legs, although hard to drop anyone after last week.

naka

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 28, 2023, 07:35:24 AM
Would have started Rian tbh to get the miles in the legs, although hard to drop anyone after last week.
at least four more matchs and hopefully more,
If Risn not fully fit then bring him on with 20/25 minutes left, would like Morgan starting but not sure who he replaces at the moment
Grimley/Kelly are injured I assume ?
Definitely starting to get strength in depth just need midfield to function .
No excuse come Sunday none at all !

Armagh18

Quote from: naka on April 28, 2023, 09:34:22 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 28, 2023, 07:35:24 AM
at least four more matchs and hopefully more,
If Risn not fully fit then bring him on with 20/25 minutes left, would like Morgan starting but not sure who he replaces at the moment
Grimley/Kelly are injured I assume ?
Definitely starting to get strength in depth just need midfield to function .
No excuse come Sunday none at all !
McCambridge must still be carrying that knock as well, would have liked him to pick up one of their dangermen. Was listening to AK on the sideline eye the other day and kind of agree with him, would let Rian do his fitness work running around Clones to have him primed for (hopefully) an Ulster final and then the sweet 16's or whatever we're calling them. His long range kicking ability would obviously be an addition agains the Down blanket.

Think the named team will start though and confident that it is well able to get the job done, strong bench obviously as well.

Maroon Manc

A lot of talent in that Armagh forward line if they can get the balance right

Truth hurts

I fear for us on Sunday as if Armagh click they will be too strong. They hate us and will want to set down a marker.

Armagh18

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 28, 2023, 11:41:17 AM
I fear for us on Sunday as if Armagh click they will be too strong. They hate us and will want to set down a marker.
Think with Downs blanket, us not having a full deck and the fact it is a derby and also it's us will mean a hammering isn't gonna happen as much as I'd love to see one.  ;)

Orior

I wouldn't use that noun.

Perhaps 'pity' as Down were once great, but now laguish in Division 3.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

Quote from: Orior on April 28, 2023, 03:38:26 PM

I wouldn't use that noun.

Perhaps 'pity' as Down were once great, but now languish in Division 3.
Down are like Galway. They can go though decades of mediocrity but once they get a decent team together they can go all the way.