Armagh v Down - USFC Semi-Final - Clones, 4pm, Sun 30th April

Started by balladmaker, April 24, 2023, 08:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Quote from: ardtole on April 25, 2023, 02:02:26 PM
Quote from: illdecide on April 25, 2023, 01:46:16 PM
Did i read on Twitter that the guy responsible for the banner and plane at the Down game was 5 Sams...Is he not on the GAA Board?.

I think the username is 5times.

Fair enough...I added 2 + 2 and got 5 there lads...apologies. Genuinely couldn't remember.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Armagh18

Captain Obvious

Down not gaining promotion from Division three was one of the biggest surprises in the league this year. Was it pre-planned so they'd focus on the Donegal championship match instead? I'm expecting a tougher challenge from Down than Cavan provided who's decision making and shot selection was bottom level stuff.  The spine of the Down team is Kilcoo players which will make them a competitive championship outfit. A real banana skin for Armagh here.

thewobbler

"Pre planned?"

Some people around here but way too much stock into how tactical and precise they think managers are and how players respond to this. By "way too much" I'm taking like atomic bomb measures.

downtothecore

These games are about match ups. I dont think we are ready to match up with Armaghs key men. If oran murdock, barry o Hagan were available and Dylan ward and Capolan mooney were added to the squad for next year then I know we could better match up and would be confident of challenging. I still expect us to be competitive though but Armagh will have too much this time.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: illdecide on April 25, 2023, 01:57:02 PM
Dunno who will start on Sunday but McPartlan deserves another dig at it for his two previous performances. I wouldn't be a big J Hall fan TBH but he has done much better the last few games too and them two probably will start again. I would bench O'Neill and introduce him to the action for the second half or earlier if needed. J Og Burns for me does not deserve to start, he's been injured and was poor enough last week. One thing we do know for starters is the following players will start and fill in the blanks after that...

Rafferty
McKay
Forker
Mackin
McCambridge (injury doubt)
McCabe
Crealey
Grugan
Campbell
Turbitt
Murnin

From the 11 above i expect to see...

McPartlan
Hall
Morgan or J Og Burns (Morgan was out for last weeks game)
O'Neill or Nugent

I think Conor O'Neill is pretty much nailed on when fit these days. Along with Forker, Mackin & JOB in defence.

When all other options are fit, I think it's two max from McKay, McCabe, McCambridge & Morgan. Maybe not quite enough transitional pace and threat going forward to carry too many of those four.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

onefaircounty

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on April 26, 2023, 12:25:06 AM
Dunno who will start on Sunday but McPartlan deserves another dig at it for his two previous performances. I wouldn't be a big J Hall fan TBH but he has done much better the last few games too and them two probably will start again. I would bench O'Neill and introduce him to the action for the second half or earlier if needed. J Og Burns for me does not deserve to start, he's been injured and was poor enough last week. One thing we do know for starters is the following players will start and fill in the blanks after that...

Rafferty
McKay
Forker
Mackin
McCabe
Crealey
Grugan
Campbell
Turbitt
Murnin

McPartlan
Hall
O'Neill or Nugent

I think Conor O'Neill is pretty much nailed on when fit these days. Along with Forker, Mackin & JOB in defence.

When all other options are fit, I think it's two max from McKay, McCabe, McCambridge & Morgan. Maybe not quite enough transitional pace and threat going forward to carry too many of those four.

Conor O'Neill nailed on but McKay isn't, are you serious? McKay is one of the first names on the teamsheet.

I think Morgan has to start if fit, he looked really good last year and it would be good to set the tone against Down.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: onefaircounty on April 26, 2023, 12:46:04 AM

Rafferty
McKay
Forker
Mackin
McCabe
Crealey
Grugan
Campbell
Turbitt
Murnin

McPartlan
Hall
O'Neill or Nugent

Conor O'Neill nailed on but McKay isn't, are you serious? McKay is one of the first names on the teamsheet.

I think Morgan has to start if fit, he looked really good last year and it would be good to set the tone against Down.

McKay is good no question, and will likely start every game he's fit for this year.

My point is more that O'Neill (and Forker, and Mackin, and Burns) carry with them another dimension going forward. That ability to be a genuine threat at pace on the transition is vital for a team that wants to play like this Armagh team wants to play.

I'm not sure how much of that sort of threat you get from McKay, Morgan, McCambridge, etc. - so I reckon there's a limit to the number of these guys you can carry and still play the type of football you want to play.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Armagh18

Jesus I wouldn't like to pick from those 8, all good players and honestly don't know what my 6 would be if all fit. McCambridge an excellent man marker and picked up Clifford and Walsh during the league although obviously had plenty of help from the system we played. Paddy Burns another option who usually plays when fit.

tonto1888

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on April 26, 2023, 12:59:10 AM

Rafferty
McKay
Forker
Mackin
McCabe
Crealey
Grugan
Campbell
Turbitt
Murnin

McPartlan
Hall
O'Neill or Nugent

McKay is good no question, and will likely start every game he's fit for this year.

My point is more that O'Neill (and Forker, and Mackin, and Burns) carry with them another dimension going forward. That ability to be a genuine threat at pace on the transition is vital for a team that wants to play like this Armagh team wants to play.

I'm not sure how much of that sort of threat you get from McKay, Morgan, McCambridge, etc. - so I reckon there's a limit to the number of these guys you can carry and still play the type of football you want to play.

McCambridge carries a big attacking threat when he plays for CE. Granted he plays a a different kind of role for Armagh but he does have that in his locker

Armagh18

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 26, 2023, 09:13:21 AM

Rafferty
McKay
Forker
Mackin
McCabe
Crealey
Grugan
Campbell
Turbitt
Murnin

McPartlan
Hall
O'Neill or Nugent

McCambridge carries a big attacking threat when he plays for CE. Granted he plays a a different kind of role for Armagh but he does have that in his locker
Same with Morgan for Cross he's definitely done that.

general_lee

orchardarmy02

TK was injured vs cavan not sure if he will be fit for sunday

naka

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 26, 2023, 09:23:25 AM

Rafferty
McKay
Forker
Mackin
McCabe
Crealey
Grugan
Campbell
Turbitt
Murnin

McPartlan
Hall
O'Neill or Nugent

morgan was definitely attacking well against Antrim until he came off

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: naka on April 26, 2023, 11:44:07 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 26, 2023, 09:23:25 AM

Rafferty
McKay
Forker
Mackin
McCabe
Crealey
Grugan
Campbell
Turbitt
Murnin

McPartlan
Hall
O'Neill or Nugent

morgan was definitely attacking well against Antrim until he came off

Quite the pickle for Geezer, and one he needs to get correct to ensure Armagh get over the line.  Down appear to have a bit of speed breaking forward as shown against Donegal so that might play a factor in the starting team.  I would imagine Hall will start and pick up the like of Magill and try and limit his impact, as he was excellent last time out.  O'Neil has to start also, he needs minutes on the legs going into the round robin, regardless of this result.   

I can only see Armagh's main failing being in around midfield.  If Armagh are forced to go long with kickouts, Down have every chance of picking off scores directly from Armagh kickouts that could nudge them ahead. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...