Cavan v Armagh - Kingspan Breffni Park - Sat, Apr 22, 2023 - 18:30

Started by illdecide, April 12, 2023, 11:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on April 15, 2023, 08:18:38 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 15, 2023, 07:44:57 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 15, 2023, 07:14:56 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 15, 2023, 06:54:24 PM
Ten minutes to play in the recent Division three final  Fermanagh 1-7 Cavan 0-11.  Watching Fermanagh today would that concern Cavan coming into this game?

Division three football is poles apart from the top teams, last few weeks only reinforces that belief.

As is Division 2 football where Armagh are heading. You boys putting way too much stake on the league. Fermanagh set up with 15 behind the ball in that final and for reason only they know they decided to go man to man against Derry today.
Top of D2 is equivalent to D1 unless the Dubs are the equivalent of Meath.

D3 is Tailteann.

Top contribution there.

armaghniac

Where is the Tailteann cup? They should bring it along and put it behind the Armagh goals, give Cavan something to aim at.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

I'm considerably less worried about Cavan after the past 2 weekends, it's fine saying they're 2 Division 2 teams but that's for next season, for all intents and purposes it's D1 v D3. Shouldn't worry Cavan, they should embrace it, more pressure for Armagh (in theory).

Wildweasel74

Itchy

Quote from: armaghniac on April 15, 2023, 08:38:25 PM
Where is the Tailteann cup? They should bring it along and put it behind the Armagh goals, give Cavan something to aim at.

They could put a cup of tea behind the goals for Armagh, at this stage McGeeney would take any sort of cup

seafoid

It's crazy to think that Armagh's last Ulster title was in 2008

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on April 15, 2023, 10:41:38 PM

Not really, up until last year Armagh have been average. Tyrone are always the team to beat in the new millennium with counties like Donegal and Monaghan popping in. Armagh dominated in the 00's.

Cavan's title was a bit Like Tipps title in Muster. It will be credited, but was lost in its lack of fanfare due to Covid!

Blowitupref

Haven't reached a Ulster final since 2008 and since then every other Ulster team has at least reached the final and Ulster titles was won by Tyrone 5,Donegal 5,Monaghan 2 and 1 each for Derry and Cavan.   
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 15, 2023, 10:56:54 PM

Not really, up until last year Armagh have been average. Tyrone are always the team to beat in the new millennium with counties like Donegal and Monaghan popping in. Armagh dominated in the 00's.

Cavan's title was a bit Like Tipps title in Muster. It will be credited, but was lost in its lack of fanfare due to Covid!
Fair enough but it means that nobody under the age of say 20 in the county remembers Armagh winning an Ulster title.

David McKeown

After yesterdays result Armagh have now officially qualified for the all Ireland series. Obviously that was almost certainly going to be the case but I wonder does it factor into Armagh thinking.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Armagh18

Quote from: David McKeown on April 16, 2023, 11:15:27 AM
After yesterdays result Armagh have now officially qualified for the all Ireland series. Obviously that was almost certainly going to be the case but I wonder does it factor into Armagh thinking.
You'd like to think not. Priority number one at the start if the year should have been and Ulster title given our record.

seafoid

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 16, 2023, 04:19:33 PM
You'd like to think not. Priority number one at the start if the year should have been and Ulster title given our record.
I would have thought an all Ireland semi final would have been the target

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on April 16, 2023, 08:01:46 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 16, 2023, 04:19:33 PM
I would have thought an all Ireland semi final would have been the target
Would much rather an Ulster! Never seen medals handed out to losing semi finalists yet.

Both would be nice of course but given the choice I'd take an Ulster all day.

seafoid

It's all about momentum and doing the iterations in order to win the all Ireland

full moon

I'm not as confident as other Cavan folk about this game. Yes Armagh have been poor so far this year.  Cavan were very average in the league final though I thought and the 2 games before against Fermanagh and Antrim.  The gulf in class in both divisions is huge and we haven't been blowing teams away.

Even without Rian O'Neill Armagh have a far superior forward line in particular. My main issue with Cavan is we've spent the last several years playing Division 3 and 4 teams and we still cannot put the ball in the back of the net. Even against very weak sides we cannot score goals, and as happened in Omagh again yesterday goals win games. We haven't shown any improvement in goalscoring this year. In tight games against good sides this can be the difference.