Cavan v Armagh - Kingspan Breffni Park - Sat, Apr 22, 2023 - 18:30

Started by illdecide, April 12, 2023, 11:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: seafoid on April 12, 2023, 06:19:15 PM
Something else about Co Armagh

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/2023/04/12/sile-denvir-i-never-see-any-kind-of-modernity-as-a-negative-you-have-to-embrace-it/
"Their musical experiences are quite similar," Denvir says, reflecting on the contributions of the singers, just one of whom, Piaras Ó Lorcáin, is from a non-Gaeltacht area; in his case Crossmaglen, in Co Armagh.
Ó Lorcáin's contribution also brings the value of collecting and archiving songs into sharp relief. "Piaras is really interesting," Denvir says. "He would have learned his songs from Bláithín Nic Cána, who would have learned from Páidrigín Ní Uallacháin. So he's from a stronghold of poetry, song and culture going back and beyond the 17th and 18th century. So he comes from a ceanntar Gaelacha," she says, referring to an area that is rich in Irish culture but not native Irish-speaking.

Another Armagh connection to this is that Sile is married to great Lurgan musician and boyhood Clan na Gael man Barry Kerr....amazing musicians altogether!  As is young Larkin. Outrageous singer.

As for the game Cavan by 3. Breffni a hoor of a place to play in and Oh Mickey your so fine will have them revved up and raring to go. Armagh will have 2 men sent off

anportmorforjfc

We only have 1 championship win against Cavan in the last 5 meetings. The drawn semi in 2019 was a huge missed opportunity for Armagh. Remember leaving Clones that day and it felt like a 5 or 6 point loss. Cavan always seem to turn up against us. Here's hoping we can just have a go Saturday week and take the game to them.

seafoid

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

If you're driving in from Maguirebridge / Newtownbutler, where is the best place to park for a quick getaway?

I don't mind walking - are you allowed to park in Aldi?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Itchy

Quote from: Orior on April 13, 2023, 08:57:14 PM
If you're driving in from Maguirebridge / Newtownbutler, where is the best place to park for a quick getaway?

I don't mind walking - are you allowed to park in Aldi?

Personally I'd take the exit of the bypass for cootehill, head into Cavan and park around Farnham street or anywhere you can get parked in the town, walk up through Cavan down to the pitch and you can go back out the same way afterwards. I'd say it'll be bedlam if you just follow bypass onto the Dublin road

tonto1888

I can't see us beating Cavan. They have a hoodoo over us the last while. Hopefully I'm wrong

Wildweasel74

For a team talking of getting to an All-Ireland final last year now worried about playing division 3 Cavan. Go figure.

yellowcard

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 14, 2023, 11:24:50 AM
I can't see us beating Cavan. They have a hoodoo over us the last while. Hopefully I'm wrong

They have to be respected but I definitely wouldn't be overly fearful either. It's not like we're playing Kerry in Croke Park and I can see little hope. If we play to our potential I think we will comfortably win this match but that is no certainty with this Armagh team. I think the fact that we don't have a month to prepare and over analyse the opposition to death might help us. 

Dreadnought

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 14, 2023, 11:34:53 AM
For a team talking of getting to an All-Ireland final last year now worried about playing division 3 Cavan. Go figure.
I don't get this thing on judging solely on League placing like it tells a full story. Sure Armagh have done next to nothing by being up in the top 2 divisions last while. Yet Cavan won an Ulster being relegated to Division 3. If there are any teams you can't place too much League context on when it comes to Championship, it's these 2.

Armagh18

Quote from: Dreadnought on April 14, 2023, 12:17:08 PM
I don't get this thing on judging solely on League placing like it tells a full story. Sure Armagh have done next to nothing by being up in the top 2 divisions last while. Yet Cavan won an Ulster being relegated to Division 3. If there are any teams you can't place too much League context on when it comes to Championship, it's these 2.
Realistically Cavan are a division 2 league team that for a variety of reasons found themselves in division 4.

Will be a seriously tough match for us especially given who we are missing.

clarshack

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on April 13, 2023, 10:07:59 AM
We only have 1 championship win against Cavan in the last 5 meetings. The drawn semi in 2019 was a huge missed opportunity for Armagh. Remember leaving Clones that day and it felt like a 5 or 6 point loss. Cavan always seem to turn up against us. Here's hoping we can just have a go Saturday week and take the game to them.

Armagh's problem is that they don't have any hatred for Cavan like they do for Tyrone.

Applesisapples

Quote from: clarshack on April 14, 2023, 01:46:38 PM
Quote from: anportmorforjfc on April 13, 2023, 10:07:59 AM

Armagh's problem is that they don't have any hatred for Cavan like they do for Tyrone.
A bigger problem is the missing players and the shite football of recent times.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 14, 2023, 12:23:13 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on April 14, 2023, 12:17:08 PM
Realistically Cavan are a division 2 league team that for a variety of reasons found themselves in division 4.

Will be a seriously tough match for us especially given who we are missing.

That's it alright. It was 2 wild scenarios that saw Cavan drop to Div4 when they were likely still a mid to upper Division 2 level side. This game will be close, and Breffni an advantage too. It'll be tight, although Armagh owe us one

balladmaker

So long as the ref. ain't Barry Cassidy, I'll be happy enough - Armagh by 2.