Weakest Starting xv in Ulster at the minute

Started by Uladh, June 12, 2007, 02:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExiledGael

Every single thread on here has people saying this and that player aren't worth their place on whatever team!
That's what the board is all about, though listing the worst is a little crude, especially as a few players and family probably roam the board.
It's also harsh to slate Uladh for starting it, and for saying he has little do do with his time!!!
Christ what are we all doing here only passing time at work for the most part talking about the sport we love!!

corn02

It also shows the genreal GAA attitude that to succeed in other sectors of the GAA such as analysing or management you have to have been a superstar. I hate that.
I was a shite footballer but I would like to think I would get the same respect in different areas regardless of my footballing career. Hate to revert to soccer but didn't Mourinhio only work as a translator.

Black and white

I totally agree you dont have to have been a great player to be a great manager.   but you would have been involved at a high level in football to fully understand and be a good analsyt.  Thats is why i said medals won as a manager?? what has he done?  I know loads of people rate themselves has great managers and tactitions, without ever been inside a dressroom.  Mourinhio was a translator at one of the biggest clubs in the world i would say he picked up a fair bit and his da was also a proffessional footballer, which is bound to have helped.

Uladh

Lads,

the title of the thread is the weakest XV. nobody's saying they should be drowned or anything,  but its a fact of life that some players are better than others. those lads are all still intercounty players. If you can't accept that or wish to hide from it then merely skip the thread.

This is a discussion board ffs.

Bensars

I'm fairly confident there isn't a single player who has started in the Ulster championship that i hadn't seen in the flesh before the championship began this year.

The Real SlimShady

Have you seen the below players before?

Kevin O'Boyle.

Sean McVeigh.

James Loughrey.

Wilkinson of Derry.

Bensars

Quote from: Uladh on June 14, 2007, 11:14:40 AM

Lads,

the title of the thread is the weakest XV. nobody's saying they should be drowned or anything,  but its a fact of life that some players are better than others. those lads are all still intercounty players. If you can't accept that or wish to hide from it then merely skip the thread.

This is a discussion board ffs.

Bensars

I'm fairly confident there isn't a single player who has started in the Ulster championship that i hadn't seen in the flesh before the championship began this year.

Granted. I therefore assume you havent been to the ulster championship games ( Bar one maybe) to see these players " in the flesh".  Would it be also true to say that your basing your analysis on opinions previously formed when you have seen these players in the flesh, and therefore it taints your view of their current form ??

The Real SlimShady

Quote from: The Real SlimShady on June 14, 2007, 11:16:40 AM
Have you seen the below players before?

Kevin O'Boyle.

Sean McVeigh.

James Loughrey.

Wilkinson of Derry.

I'll be interested in what games he has seen the above players 'in the flesh' also.

thewobbler

Holy f**k, this thread has been hijacked not only by the 'holier than thou' brigade, but by the thought police, the pedants, and the hypocrites as well. The time-honoured GAABoard tradition of reacting to a personal attack by condemning personal attacks, while launching an even more personal attack, is in full flow.

That's a fair achievement by Uladh.

It's also interesting that his choices have been met with little disagreement so far, and even fewer convincing arguments.

From my perspective, the choice of goalkeeper is all wrong. Pascal McConnell is a dreadful keeper altogether, whose only saving grace is long kick-outs, but even in that regard, Duffy trumps him.

The Real SlimShady

thewobbler

I'll go back to my original point slim, I'm one of thousands who pay money to watch these players. By f**k, that entitles me to an opinion.

By the way, I'd welcome you to meet a nasty accident. I really would. The world would be a nicer place for it.

The Real SlimShady

bitter little men like you and Uladh have no place in the game, bitter because of your own lack of talent and therefore slating the boys that do have talent and calling them 'weak'... if either of you were only half as weak eh?  :D

stick to putting your little post match reports in the Beano son, let your steam out there. Its a sad way to go through life being a begrudger- you're destined to be one of those 'over critical supporters' in 20 years time as discussed on another thread and spending your final years of your pitiful life lamenting about how crap the youth of today are. Lets hope you dont last that long eh.

Uladh

I know most people on this board don't educate themselves in a football sense beyond the narrow confines of their own county and even their own parish in some circumstances, but there is some great football out there if you want to go and look for it.

Derry have the best championship in ulster by a stretch and there's hardly a player derry could bring onto the panel i wouldn't have seen. Wilkinson is no exception. Playing in the ulster club championship will give you a bigger profile than most.

The intervarsity competitions are an absolute must for anyone who has any interest in whats coming through in ulster. the poly, queens and st mary's nurture a lot of the best talent in the province. Loughrey had a decent league with QUB but featured only briefly in extra time in the sigerson final. Haven't seen as much of McVeigh as he hasn't featured a whole pile. i was distinctly unimpressed with him against down in the mckenna cup this year in downpatrick.

The only time i've noticed O'Boyle before This years championship was in the ulster club in november, when his keeper let in three goals.

Almost every player plays County u21 football before the make the senior team and personally i see as many ulster u21 games as i can every year.

As for being there in person, this year i've been to Ballyboffey and the marshes for championship games.

Black and white

going to watch football doesnt make you the expert you so clearly believe you are.  it's like the player that trains harder than any other but just cant get any better.  from reading your posts you are not the tactical genuis you think you are, of course this is just my opinion.

Uladh

Quote from: Black and white on June 14, 2007, 05:42:35 PM
going to watch football doesnt make you the expert you so clearly believe you are. 

It is you who says it

EDIT

I have rarely seen tactics discussed on this board.Quote me a tactical comment which i've made that you disagree with.

bennydorano

Quote from: Black and white on June 14, 2007, 10:14:23 AM
but you would have been involved at a high level in football to fully understand and be a good analsyt. 

Utter f**king bollix.  I'd value some contributors on here a lot more highly than I would some of the clowns who contibrute to the media.  Kevin Madden? Diarmud Marsden? Bernard Flynn?  A few of the top of my head who are just plain awful.  There are some shocking contibutors on here as well though.