Weakest Starting xv in Ulster at the minute

Started by Uladh, June 12, 2007, 02:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

corn02

Totally agree Benny but it is a mindset. Has there ever been a non ex County Player on the Sunday Game?

Black and White to be fair Uladh was listing the games he was at to back up his slection, I do not think he was trying to preach almighty that he is the GAA master.

The Real SlimShady

Quote from: Uladh on June 14, 2007, 05:14:19 PM

I know most people on this board don't educate themselves in a football sense beyond the narrow confines of their own county and even their own parish in some circumstances, but there is some great football out there if you want to go and look for it.

Derry have the best championship in ulster by a stretch and there's hardly a player derry could bring onto the panel i wouldn't have seen. Wilkinson is no exception. Playing in the ulster club championship will give you a bigger profile than most.

The intervarsity competitions are an absolute must for anyone who has any interest in whats coming through in ulster. the poly, queens and st mary's nurture a lot of the best talent in the province. Loughrey had a decent league with QUB but featured only briefly in extra time in the sigerson final. Haven't seen as much of McVeigh as he hasn't featured a whole pile. i was distinctly unimpressed with him against down in the mckenna cup this year in downpatrick.

The only time i've noticed O'Boyle before This years championship was in the ulster club in november, when his keeper let in three goals.

Almost every player plays County u21 football before the make the senior team and personally i see as many ulster u21 games as i can every year.

As for being there in person, this year i've been to Ballyboffey and the marshes for championship games.

funny you never said you were there until now  :D therefore I'm made to think you are a liar, as well as an arsehole!

and yes, his keeper did let in 3 goals that day- he's brutal.

Syd

I think you would have to include Aodhan Gallagher of Antrim in any "Weakest Starting XV" discussion, fit as a fiddle, but alas has two left feet.......

The Real SlimShady

Syd

Quote from: The Real SlimShady on June 15, 2007, 08:55:07 AM
he always plays well against us though!

He is probably a good club footballer, but any time i have seen him play for Antrim he has been rubbish. His fitness and workrate probably stands out at club level, but everyone has that at inter county level.

Glensman

One of the main points I disagree with on this thread (and do generally) is the point that went along the lines of:
"I pay good money to see these players play, by fcuk I can criticise them if I want" or something along those lines.

Personally I think that sentiment is absolute bullsh1t.

If they are premiership players who train every day and DON'T WORK as opposed to train every day and go to work, whose wages are paid for by you buying a replica shirts etc, who all live in the lap of luxury then fair enough but don't come on here and say that by paying €12-18 once a week with some petrol thrown in (maybe a bit more at the money end of the season) it gives you the right to personally criticise on a forum like this players for being on the worst starting 15 in Ulster at this minute. Criticise performances ok.

The players get nothing out of training their asses off for 6-8months, they sacrifice time with their families/friends, study commitments, work commitments...and then (when you're Antrim) they get beat in the first round and are sent to the Tommy Murphy cup which is widely regarded as dung and can come on here and read this.

On the day you can shout and roar at them, you can criticise their mistakes, you can hold you head in your hands at them, you can criticise tactics but to come on here and do what you have done on here in my opinion is just wrong and arguably against a fair few values that are good within the GAA.

Black and white

Uladh

You asked me to point out where you discuss tactics, I couldnt be bothered go back through all your posts but a recent one,

I'd expect Wexford to dominate around the middle third unless Louth can hugely improve on their break ball numbers. Wexford have some very big men and with a smallish mobile midfield, Louth's best bet is breaking and winning the scraps. Wexford have been badly burned in the past when their defenders have had to cope one on one in the open spaces of croker and early ball inside could bear fruit for Louth.

My reading of Forde has always been that he struggles to win ball against tenacious markers who possess real speed as, although not slow, he doesn't have rolls royce pace himself. if he can be starved of possession or even dispossessed once or twice it won't be long til he strikes out in frustration.

Is this not about tactics?

just admit it you do feel you understand football more than the common man, your tone is preachy all of the time. 

Uladh

Slim - as has been said to you many times by many people (how long do you think it'll take for the penny to drop?) there is only one arsehole on this thread....

i have cousins who play for clontibret and one of them happened to be marking o'boyle that day...

Aodhan galagher can be a very effective player when used in the right way.

b&W, surely that is not "tactics" in your eyes? and anyway, who said they were never discussed?
also... i noticed you didn't disagree with anything i said?

The Real SlimShady

oh, theres more than one arsehole on this thread, yourself and Wobbler see to that. You have cousins who play for Clontibret, yeah- course you were at it!

I suppose you were one of the hoardes spitting on players as they came off the park- that would be your style by the looks of things!