Commonwealth Games

Started by Eamonnca1, August 02, 2022, 11:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Just starting a thread to see how much (or little) interest there is in this. Apparently 1.5 billion people watch it globally. I doubt if Ireland contributes much to that figure though...

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

markl121

I'm going down to birmingham on Sunday for it to see the road cycling and the boxing finals. Will have my yellow ulster flag though

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 02, 2022, 11:55:29 PM
Just starting a thread to see how much (or little) interest there is in this. Apparently 1.5 billion people watch it globally. I doubt if Ireland contributes much to that figure though...

I'm not an athletics fan so wouldn't have a clue. It's on free-to-air tv in Australia so watched a bit of it last night, just because I like watching random sports you wouldn't usually see.
Hasta la victoria siempre

Eire90

i would personally like to see  a european games be more prestigious   and promoted

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Eire90 on August 03, 2022, 02:47:23 AM
i would personally like to see  a european games be more prestigious   and promoted

https://www.european-athletics.com/

There are plenty of separate competitions for boxing, swimming etc but I do like the idea of a Euro Games....

imtommygunn

It's actually a big thing for athletes to get to but they have ballsed it up with quotas etc and there are not remotely enough athletes in the track and field at least. Nine in the 10000 metres final and less than 20 in the marathon. Tbh athletics wise there should not be three championships on in one summer.

Milltown Row2

My cousins young lad is a gymnast for Ireland and in these games NI, he's 19, was very unlucky not to get a medal this time round, final part of his routine he'd a bad hop, finished 5th unfortunately.

The time and effort that has went into bringing these lads to this point is unreal, regardless of what this competition represents for these lads its these championships that will give them the confidence to do it at the Worlds and Olympic tournaments, I've watched a good bit of it and the commentators are seriously biased which pisses me off more than anything.

The 10,000 meters final had a great finish to it, the Scot was nowhere but still finished in under 28 minutes I think, that's serious running...

I agree a Euro Games would have a better appeal
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

McClenaghan unlucky too and but for a mistake would have been gold.

10000 was great though there should be way more than 9 in it. The marathons were great too but suffered from very small fields (not athletes decisions - there are some weird quota things going on). Butchart was near last with under 27 minutes.

The euro athletics seems quite low profile these days but it still should be good.

Norf Tyrone

Two guys with GAA backgrounds up today.

Jude Gallagher from Newtownstewart at 7pm in the boxing QF.
Nick Griggs from Brackaville in the U20 world athletics later too. I think in 3000m at 3pm.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

imtommygunn

Looking forward to seeing how Griggs does. He's in big company there but very capable. Still young for u20 too.

bennydorano

Chris McGlinchey goes in the MTB event this morning, he's a regular in the local & national road cycling scene. Live at 11am.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on August 03, 2022, 09:53:14 AM
Chris McGlinchey goes in the MTB event this morning, he's a regular in the local & national road cycling scene. Live at 11am.

The NZ lads have the first two medals sorted lad Orr is trying to stay in for a bronze
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

markl121

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 03, 2022, 12:17:22 PM

The NZ lads have the first two medals sorted lad Orr is trying to stay in for a bronze
Dirty scot attacked the two lads when taking a gel

Milltown Row2

Quote from: markl121 on August 03, 2022, 12:20:05 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 03, 2022, 12:17:22 PM

Dirty scot attacked the two lads when taking a gel

Seen that lol.. ya gotta do what ya gotta do .. bit early to do it so be interesting to see how it goes, that hill looks horrible

Bitta karma for him