Mayo v Donegal - Sunday 2nd April 2pm MacHale Park

Started by Farrandeelin, March 27, 2017, 05:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayo.mick

Any word on the squad being cut again? Did someone have a list after the last cull, 34 left was it?
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

moysider

Quote from: bucko on March 31, 2017, 11:36:42 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on March 31, 2017, 11:07:43 PM
DOC hasn't played well yet this year, you'd wonder if he's fully fit
Before the Tyrone game I'm certain there was a piece in the Mayo News that he was to miss the remainder of the league with a hamstring injury, so I was surprised to see him appear against Tyrone. He hasn't been 100% fit since after the U21 final last year IMO.

It was that nasty petulant kick from Emmett Bolton after he scored that goal v Kildare that did him.

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on March 31, 2017, 11:45:22 PM
Before the Tyrone game I'm certain there was a piece in the Mayo News that he was to miss the remainder of the league with a hamstring injury, so I was surprised to see him appear against Tyrone. He hasn't been 100% fit since after the U21 final last year IMO.

It was that nasty petulant kick from Emmett Bolton after he scored that goal v Kildare that did him.

+1

bucko

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 31, 2017, 11:53:19 PM

+1
Sorry I remember that one now, was out of the country for that game and only caught the highlights. I'd just be worried that he's not moving as well he was in 2015, that he's not posing as much as a threat in open play. Watching him last year in situations where you'd back him to open his shoulders and take on his man, he was more inclined to cut back infield and lay the ball off. I just hope he isn't going to have a promising inter county career stunted by injury, to my mind he has the potential to be for us what Paul Flynn was to Dublin in his prime.

moysider

Quote from: bucko on April 01, 2017, 12:03:18 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 31, 2017, 11:53:19 PM

+1
Sorry I remember that one now, was out of the country for that game and only caught the highlights. I'd just be worried that he's not moving as well he was in 2015, that he's not posing as much as a threat in open play. Watching him last year in situations where you'd back him to open his shoulders and take on his man, he was more inclined to cut back infield and lay the ball off. I just hope he isn't going to have a promising inter county career stunted by injury, to my mind he has the potential to be for us what Paul Flynn was to Dublin in his prime.

As well as injury he possibly needs a damn good rest. Probably has had a lot of College's stuff done already and for a young fella has had 2/3 intensive years between club, U21, colleges and senior.

Itchy

Cillian o Connor concussed last week and starting this week? My local club wouldn't allow a player to do that.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on April 01, 2017, 09:40:19 AM
Cillian o Connor concussed last week and starting this week? My local club wouldn't allow a player to do that.

Concussed! How did that happen? Not a word from the CCCC in relation to it all week. Same with the media. You must be imagining things.

bucko

From the Mayo News;
Injury update
THE chances of Ger Cafferkey or Seamie O'Shea being part of Mayo's match-day squad next Sunday have improved after both lined out for their clubs last weekend.
O'Shea played his second successive full match for Breaffy in the space of a week in the Michael Walsh League semi-final on Sunday while Cafferkey is understood to have featured for approximately 25 minutes for Ballina in a challenge game.
All 21 players who featured for Mayo during last Sunday's victory in Tyrone are expected to be available for selection again next weekend.
A Mayo GAA statement yesterday (Monday) confirmed that Donie Vaughan and Cillian O'Connor had passed head injury assessment tests after both receiving blows to the head in separate incidents in the closing stages of the game.
'Both players passed SCAT 3 head injury assessment (HIA) and did not exhibit any delayed concussion symptoms on subsequent reviews," read the statement.

Itchy

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 01, 2017, 09:56:17 AM
Quote from: Itchy on April 01, 2017, 09:40:19 AM

Concussed! How did that happen? Not a word from the CCCC in relation to it all week. Same with the media. You must be imagining things.

That's hardly a defence for putting a players welfare at risk.

rodney trotter

They let Lee Keegan play on last year in a league game when he clearly concussed.  The Mayo physios mustn't be up to much

Tubberman

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 01, 2017, 11:35:35 AM
They let Lee Keegan play on last year in a league game when he clearly concussed.  The Mayo physios mustn't be up to much

Don't know what decision would have to do with the physio
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

rodney trotter

stew

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 01, 2017, 11:51:33 AM
Team doctor, or so called.

He should work for Chelsea, they dont give a toss about their players either!

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Crete Boom

Quote from: stew on April 01, 2017, 12:39:13 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on April 01, 2017, 11:51:33 AM
Team doctor, or so called.

He should work for Chelsea, they dont give a toss about their players either!

It's the same team doctor who got blasted online by all the virtual doctors for keeping O'Shea & O'Connor off for 10 mins going through concussion tests in the semi V Kerry in Limerick.
Lack of Concussion protocol is a big problem these days. Rory O'Carroll was left on the field for a lot longer than O'Connor or Keegan in 2013. Some of the stuff I have seen in club matches recently would shock you. Lads are getting bigger, stronger and faster so the Gaa really needs rules and standards to protect the players from themselves as much as anyone else!!

bucko

A bit of stone throwing in glasshouses going on here, I doubt if any county is completely innocent from keeping a concussed player on the pitch.