Mayo v Donegal - Sunday 2nd April 2pm MacHale Park

Started by Farrandeelin, March 27, 2017, 05:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 28, 2017, 10:39:26 PM
What is the major gripes Mayo fans have with Reilly's refereeing performance that day?

Obviously Enright should certainly have gone after about 20 minutes when he gave the penalty away and Donaghy got a few very soft frees but were there more major incidents he got wrong?

Obviously there are genuine grievances there but it wasn't the biggest shafting by a ref I've seen. Reilly also wouldn't be the first referee Kerry have played like a fiddle down the year, there's nothing even subtle in it but we're not allowed talk about it.

He gave a plethora of Soft scoreable frees to Kerry. Donaghy was a protected species that day - any contact and it was a free. It was incredible really. Kerry got one if not two penalties that were not penalties. He made us use up a sub for one of our Blood subs (either Cillian or Aido). On the opposite side we could not buy a free. To hand a side like Kerry in any match something in the region of 1-3 to 2-5 is hard to imagine. And to think we brought the game to extra time in spite of all of this.

I don't think it was a given we'd have beaten Donegal in the final, it would have been a 50/50 game. But the scalp of Kerry along the way had it rewards.

I had great respect for the players after the game. To have suffered such biased decisions in such an important game and not one said anything to the media. Not a line! I'm sure Martin Brehony et all tried to coax it out. But not a word.

moysider

What is the major gripes Mayo fans have with Reilly's refereeing performance that day?

Obviously Enright should certainly have gone after about 20 minutes when he gave the penalty away and Donaghy got a few very soft frees but were there more major incidents he got wrong?

Obviously there are genuine grievances there but it wasn't the biggest shafting by a ref I've seen. Reilly also wouldn't be the first referee Kerry have played like a fiddle down the year, there's nothing even subtle in it but we're not allowed talk about it.

You ve pretty much answered it there your self Bomber.
The biggest shafting is in the eye of the beholder of course but I think we've been on the end of a couple of big ones. Then again maybe that's just me.
A referee should not be pla.yed like a fiddle by anybody but Kerry do seem to get away with stuff. Dick Clerkin kicked or Nicholas Murphy assaulted - no problem.
Even this Spring Tom Parsons was red carded while Kerry lads were whaling away in same ruck without reproach.
That day in Limerick, Donnacha Walsh systematically fouled all the time and it was obviously premeditated and tactical. Checking runs, late hits and cheap shots.

mayo.mick

mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

moysider

J70

Nah, I think the Gaoth Dobhair men are what's left there... You're lucky Eamon McGee has retired and MacNiallais is on sabbatical! :P

Still leaves Neil McGee and then Carroll, Gillespie and Mulligan from the U-21s.

They might be worth a punt for a county title in the next year or two.

mayoaremagic

Quote from: moysider on March 28, 2017, 11:16:18 PM

You ve pretty much answered it there your self Bomber.
The biggest shafting is in the eye of the beholder of course but I think we've been on the end of a couple of big ones. Then again maybe that's just me.
A referee should not be pla.yed like a fiddle by anybody but Kerry do seem to get away with stuff. Dick Clerkin kicked or Nicholas Murphy assaulted - no problem.
Even this Spring Tom Parsons was red carded while Kerry lads were whaling away in same ruck without reproach.
That day in Limerick, Donnacha Walsh systematically fouled all the time and it was obviously premeditated and tactical. Checking runs, late hits and cheap shots.

Kerry are  not cynical. This is cute Kerry hoorism.

J70

Ryan McHugh confirmed out injured for the next month or so.

Will be back for the Antrim game though.

moysider

That's good, and he wont have to be pushed to be back for Antrim match.

joemamas

Is this game by chance being broadcast on the web, like some club games were ?

Mayo Club 51

Mayo team for Sunday has just been announced

1. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)

2. Brendan Harrison (Aghamore)

3. Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)

4. Chris Barrett (Belmullet)

5. Colm Boyle (Davitts)

6. Lee Keegan (Westport)

7. Paddy Durcan (Castlebar Mitchels)

8. Tom Parsons (Charlestown)

9. Danny Kirby (Castlebar Mitchels)

10. Shane Nally (Garrymore)

11. Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber, Capt)

12. Fergal Boland (Aghamore)

13. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)

14. Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen)

15. Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber)

moysider

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on March 31, 2017, 09:51:21 PM

Maybe 2/3 shy of championship starting team?

That's how I see it too. There won't / can't be many changes when the championship comes around. I think the backs are as good as we are going to get and Seamie will have his work cut out if he gets in in place of Kirby. Right now, I' bet on KIrby holding on.
I suppose a place will have to be found for Aido but both Shane Nally and Fergal are playing well and improving with every game. I can't see any of the remaining four being dropped.
BTW, I expect one helluva performance from Mayo next day as it's could be the last chance for some to impress Rochford this side of the first round of the championship.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

macdanger2

DOC hasn't played well yet this year, you'd wonder if he's fully fit

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 31, 2017, 10:58:36 PM
Quote from: moysider on March 31, 2017, 09:51:21 PM

Maybe 2/3 shy of championship starting team?

That's how I see it too. There won't / can't be many changes when the championship comes around. I think the backs are as good as we are going to get and Seamie will have his work cut out if he gets in in place of Kirby. Right now, I' bet on KIrby holding on.
I suppose a place will have to be found for Aido but both Shane Nally and Fergal are playing well and improving with every game. I can't see any of the remaining four being dropped.
BTW, I expect one helluva performance from Mayo next day as it's could be the last chance for some to impress Rochford this side of the first round of the championship.

I expect Seamie will be one to come back in myself.
As regards performance I dunno. I couldn't find fault with the players so far. I'm expecting a close run thing again on Sunday. 50/50 at best because we are creating so few scoring chances we will probably struggle to get enough to win. We've actually scored some unlikely brilliant points in this league that has kept us alive. Parson's goal was brilliant as well. We are not getting/creating many chances in and around the D where most scores happen and where the easy frees are won. Teams have found that if you defend narrow against us, we struggle to break things down. Nally selection at  probably because he will give us a bit of shape and scoring threat. I don't think the old guard have to impress Rochford that much because really they are pretty secure. There's not many behind them knocking down doors.

bucko

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 31, 2017, 11:07:43 PM
DOC hasn't played well yet this year, you'd wonder if he's fully fit
Before the Tyrone game I'm certain there was a piece in the Mayo News that he was to miss the remainder of the league with a hamstring injury, so I was surprised to see him appear against Tyrone. He hasn't been 100% fit since after the U21 final last year IMO.