The Flag and the Anthem..

Started by 5 Sams, November 30, 2016, 12:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 07, 2016, 11:55:33 AM
Quote from: foxcommander on December 06, 2016, 06:11:02 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 06, 2016, 02:13:22 PM
I thought this stuff was all behind us after "the day we came of age as a nation" when GSTQ was played in Croker before a rugby match.  ::)

That was a pretty convenient line used by the free staters to absolve themselves from standing idly by.
Still shameful that Rugby was ever allowed in the door.

What troubles??

It was a vomit inducing phrase. The triumphalism was sickening.

You're not wrong there. It smacked of "we forgive you for everything you've ever done to us (including the north, famine, cromwell etc)" in one afternoon. Honestly though it doesn't surprise me, i've said it before that most freestaters are a fickle bunch.

The queens visit was another one. They couldn't fawn quick enough.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

BennyCake

Quote from: foxcommander on December 07, 2016, 03:54:59 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 07, 2016, 11:55:33 AM
Quote from: foxcommander on December 06, 2016, 06:11:02 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 06, 2016, 02:13:22 PM
I thought this stuff was all behind us after "the day we came of age as a nation" when GSTQ was played in Croker before a rugby match.  ::)

That was a pretty convenient line used by the free staters to absolve themselves from standing idly by.
Still shameful that Rugby was ever allowed in the door.

What troubles??

It was a vomit inducing phrase. The triumphalism was sickening.

You're not wrong there. It smacked of "we forgive you for everything you've ever done to us (including the north, famine, cromwell etc)" in one afternoon. Honestly though it doesn't surprise me, i've said it before that most freestaters are a fickle bunch.

The queens visit was another one. They couldn't fawn quick enough.

Re: rugby anthem - you can't include all free staters in with those there in Croker that day. The majority of southerners aren't west Brit toffs or unionists.

Queens visit was cringeworthy. The establishment in the South are a bunch of spineless arselickers. Insecure, cap-in-hand types who bend over and take everything up the jacksie from Britain and the EU.

BennyCake

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 07, 2016, 11:59:15 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 07, 2016, 11:29:20 AM
Re: flag on government buildings - in the North the ruling government is the British so that's probably why a Union flag flies.

As for the Irish flag. What are people actually standing to? At the attention of the Republics government? A government that, as general lee said, didn't give a feck about him in the North?

Certainly not. I see them as one of the bad things. They don't own our island and certainly don't own the flag. They're caretakers (making a balls of) running the republic on our behalf.

So I wonder then what the flag represents for people? What are they standing to?

The EU owns Ireland, until the South grow a set and tell them to get stuffed.

dec

Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 07, 2016, 08:55:01 AM
'Both flags or no flags' as Gerry Adams said around the time of the so-called Fleg Crisis.

Should the GAA fly both flags?

magpie seanie

Quote from: BennyCake on December 07, 2016, 04:42:24 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 07, 2016, 11:59:15 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 07, 2016, 11:29:20 AM
Re: flag on government buildings - in the North the ruling government is the British so that's probably why a Union flag flies.

As for the Irish flag. What are people actually standing to? At the attention of the Republics government? A government that, as general lee said, didn't give a feck about him in the North?

Certainly not. I see them as one of the bad things. They don't own our island and certainly don't own the flag. They're caretakers (making a balls of) running the republic on our behalf.

So I wonder then what the flag represents for people? What are they standing to?

The EU owns Ireland, until the South grow a set and tell them to get stuffed.

I agree but I believe it will come. The penny is starting to drop and the EU with this tax thing is finally going to make the scales fall from all eyes. We need to capitalise on any tensions between the US and Germany, sorry, the EU. This is another argument though.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: dec on December 07, 2016, 04:42:48 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 07, 2016, 08:55:01 AM
'Both flags or no flags' as Gerry Adams said around the time of the so-called Fleg Crisis.

Should the GAA fly both flags?

No, the GAA is not the state and therefore can fly whatever flag it likes as it only has to represent its membership. The state has to be neutral however.

seafoid

The GAA should reinstate pitch invasions . The carry on after all Ireland finals is atrocious

Owenmoresider

Quote from: seafoid on December 07, 2016, 10:36:56 PM
The GAA should reinstate pitch invasions . The carry on after all Ireland finals is atrocious
Absolutely. McKenna knows where he can stick his ticker tape and pyrotechnics.

ashman

No need for pitch invasions. The next decade = joyless Dublin & Kk/tipp wins .

rrhf

Maybe the flag represents the culture and ambitions of people who dream of unity, who felt left behind by Michael Collins signing a deal to cut the island in two. Maybe it is more that 3 well appointed colours 

seafoid

Quote from: ashman on December 07, 2016, 11:08:07 PM

No need for pitch invasions. The next decade = joyless Dublin & Kk/tipp wins .
And the DĂ©ise do it and all hell breaks loose

Jinxy

We need a Trump-esque leader to make the GAA great again.
You can't even dance at the cross-roads anymore because of health & safety.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Bring back 21 a side and the oul point posts and the Bishop throwin in the ball.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on December 08, 2016, 09:08:58 AM
We need a Trump-esque leader to make the GAA great again.
You can't even dance at the cross-roads anymore because of health & safety.
Too many mĂșinteoiri. ..

5 Sams

Quote from: Rossfan on December 08, 2016, 09:34:19 AM
Bring back 21 a side and the oul point posts and the Bishop throwin in the ball.

....and kissing the Bishop's ring ??? :-[ WTF was that all about??
The Aristocrat Years