The Flag and the Anthem..

Started by 5 Sams, November 30, 2016, 12:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

And what happens when unification occurs and by consensus we get a new flag and anthem? Does the GAA stick with the tricolour and A na bhF?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: BennyCake on December 06, 2016, 07:05:24 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 06, 2016, 06:21:56 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 06, 2016, 05:21:00 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on December 06, 2016, 04:55:39 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 06, 2016, 04:40:54 PM
snip for neatness
Where else in life in the north are these symbols that are part of my identity officially recognised and displayed? No where.

Where in the South are they officially recognised?

Well it is the official flag and anthem of the state...

Yes, but where is this evident? On top a few buildings maybe.

Which is a  few more than in the O6.

Quote from: general_lee on December 06, 2016, 08:31:09 PM
And what happens when unification occurs and by consensus we get a new flag and anthem? Does the GAA stick with the tricolour and A na bhF?

I think that's what O'Fearghail was saying, the GAA would be open minded to changing the anthem and flag when a UI comes, which is looking a lot sooner now because of Brexit. People just jumped the gun and thought he meant that the tricolour was going to be ripped down from GAA grounds around the country overnight.

BennyCake

Ogra, where do you want to see the Irish flag flown in the North? And does the lack of Irish flags on buildings bother you?

general_lee

Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 06, 2016, 08:59:36 PM
snip for neatness
Where else in life in the north are these symbols that are part of my identity officially recognised and displayed? No where.

I think that's what O'Fearghail was saying, the GAA would be open minded to changing the anthem and flag when a UI comes, which is looking a lot sooner now because of Brexit. People just jumped the gun and thought he meant that the tricolour was going to be ripped down from GAA grounds around the country overnight.
That's exactly my point. People put so much importance on a flag and anthem that only represent us to a certain extent. Truth be told the tricolour, while it is my national flag, represents a state which has done next to f**k all for me as an Irish citizen in the north

Rossfan

snip for neatness

If we have a new State in effect with a new flag and anthem why would the GAA continue to fly an obsolete flag and play an obsolete anthem before games.
Hopefully when the day comes anthems will be reserved for Finals and rules about flags and anthems can be dropped.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Applesisapples

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 06, 2016, 04:18:58 PM
The big issue for many Northern Nationalists and the flag and anthem is that, it is only at our County Team matches and County finals if your club gets there that these expressions of our culture and identity are openly recognised. Every other aspect of life and government in the North is at best neutral, as with Ulster Rugby. But mostly life and government in the North is represented by the Ulster Banner and the fleg. Unionists if they were clever would give genuine parity to nationalist symbols and anthems as it would slow down for ever any prospect of a UI. But they just can't help themselves.
Government buildings for a start

But your identity doesn't have to be a flag/anthem. The fact that you follow your club/county gives you a local identity. You put up your bunting, wear the shirt, rig out the kids in their kit... A belonging to place, and part of a wider, all-Ireland organisation that promotes the nations sport, language, dance, music. Following GAA gives you that unique identity. I dunno about others, but I don't need a tri-colour wrapped around me or have to sing the anthem before each game to declare how Irish I am. I'm not insecure about my identity.

Anthem at county/provincial and AI finals is more than enough. And a GAA flag flying at all games is sufficient IMO. The anthem at an AI final is a special occasion. We don't need it butchered Sunday after Sunday all year round.

Applesisapples

Quote from: BennyCake on December 06, 2016, 07:02:19 PM
Quote from: AQMP on December 06, 2016, 05:45:19 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on December 06, 2016, 04:18:58 PM
The big issue for many Northern Nationalists and the flag and anthem is that, it is only at our County Team matches and County finals if your club gets there that these expressions of our culture and identity are openly recognised. Every other aspect of life and government in the North is at best neutral, as with Ulster Rugby. But mostly life and government in the North is represented by the Ulster Banner and the fleg. Unionists if they were clever would give genuine parity to nationalist symbols and anthems as it would slow down for ever any prospect of a UI. But they just can't help themselves.
Bollix, it is not the be all and end all, but it is important in a society in which the majority (slight as it is) of your fellow citizens deny any vestiges of your ethnic identity in the symbols of the state(let).
But your identity doesn't have to be a flag/anthem. The fact that you follow your club/county gives you a local identity. You put up your bunting, wear the shirt, rig out the kids in their kit... A belonging to place, and part of a wider, all-Ireland organisation that promotes the nations sport, language, dance, music. Following GAA gives you that unique identity. I dunno about others, but I don't need a tri-colour wrapped around me or have to sing the anthem before each game to declare how Irish I am. I'm not insecure about my identity.

Anthem at county/provincial and AI finals is more than enough. And a GAA flag flying at all games is sufficient IMO. The anthem at an AI final is a special occasion. We don't need it butchered Sunday after Sunday all year round.

I'm intrigued to know why allegiance to a flag and anthem means someone is insecure about their identity??

Allegiance is fine, but you have to wonder about those who's be all and end all is a flag and anthem. Some people can't think beyond them.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: BennyCake on December 06, 2016, 10:03:40 PM
Ogra, where do you want to see the Irish flag flown in the North? And does the lack of Irish flags on buildings bother you?

I don't mind if its flown or not, as long as the UJ doesn't fly either. 'Both flags or no flags' as Gerry Adams said around the time of the so-called Fleg Crisis. The lack of a tricolour flying doesn't really bother me but the fact that the UJ flies above Newry Courthouse occasionally does bother me when I drive past it. It's just the whole mentality of the thing, that the British culture can be represented officially but Irish culture can't be.

Quote from: Rossfan on December 06, 2016, 11:43:33 PM
snip for neatness

If we have a new State in effect with a new flag and anthem why would the GAA continue to fly an obsolete flag and play an obsolete anthem before games.
Hopefully when the day comes anthems will be reserved for Finals and rules about flags and anthems can be dropped.

It's the GAA, I wouldn't take it for granted that the anthem or flag would be changed quickly.

Rossfan

Maybe but it wouldn't be a National Anthem or a National or State flag at that stage.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Re: flag on government buildings - in the North the ruling government is the British so that's probably why a Union flag flies.

As for the Irish flag. What are people actually standing to? At the attention of the Republics government? A government that, as general lee said, didn't give a feck about him in the North?

ashman

Quote from: BennyCake on December 07, 2016, 11:29:20 AM
Re: flag on government buildings - in the North the ruling government is the British so that's probably why a Union flag flies.

As for the Irish flag. What are people actually standing to? At the attention of the Republics government? A government that, as general lee said, didn't give a feck about him in the North?

The tricolour  is the Irish national flag .  It also happens to be the flag of the 26 county state . 

The Irish government has enough of its plate at present.  It is not providing for its own citizens so the north is parked for a spell.

BennyCake

Quote from: ashman on December 07, 2016, 11:38:14 AM

The tricolour  is the Irish national flag .  It also happens to be the flag of the 26 county state . 

The Irish government has enough of its plate at present.  It is not providing for its own citizens so the north is parked for a spell.

That's a long spell. 90-odd years and counting.

But it has a lot on it's plate. Dreaming up new taxes to cripple the people in order to pay the foreign banks.

seafoid

What should the Government in the south have done differently ?

magpie seanie

Quote from: foxcommander on December 06, 2016, 06:11:02 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 06, 2016, 02:13:22 PM
I thought this stuff was all behind us after "the day we came of age as a nation" when GSTQ was played in Croker before a rugby match.  ::)

That was a pretty convenient line used by the free staters to absolve themselves from standing idly by.
Still shameful that Rugby was ever allowed in the door.

What troubles??

It was a vomit inducing phrase. The triumphalism was sickening.

magpie seanie

Certainly not. I see them as one of the bad things. They don't own our island and certainly don't own the flag. They're caretakers (making a balls of) running the republic on our behalf.