The Flag and the Anthem..

Started by 5 Sams, November 30, 2016, 12:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 06, 2016, 01:28:44 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 06, 2016, 12:22:19 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 05, 2016, 06:46:19 PM
The new flag of the Irish Confederation will ironically have no Orange in it ( to placate the North Eastern Protestant/British)
Probably be a green flag with that red X from the Union Jack ::)
How could you explain the flag situation to a foreigner? Yes, the orange is to represent Ulster Protestants . Yes they do wear orange sashes.  YeS there is a song about it. No , they find the orange threatening. On the flag.

Protestants could say the same about us and the St Patrick's Cross on the Butcher's Apron. I'd hate to change the flag but I can see how it would be a progressive and necessary move in a United Ireland.
I never saw the St Patrick's cross anywhere else. I don't think people would identify with it.

magpie seanie

I thought this stuff was all behind us after "the day we came of age as a nation" when GSTQ was played in Croker before a rugby match.  ::)

AZOffaly

I have no problem with the Flag flying, but I hate when it's disrespected. Tattered, left out in all weathers etc.

Also the anthem. I like the anthem at county finals, All Ireland and Provincial finals, but I think it loses its meaning when it is played before every league game and championship game.

Save it for important games, and let it add to the sense of occasion.

BennyCake

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 06, 2016, 02:13:22 PM
I thought this stuff was all behind us after "the day we came of age as a nation" when GSTQ was played in Croker before a rugby match.  ::)

Coming of age, me arse. That was just a shower of Unionists and West Brit toffs standing to their own anthem.

Rossfan

Quote from: BennyCake on December 06, 2016, 02:49:35 PM

Coming of age, me arse. That was just a shower of Unionists and West Brit toffs standing to their own anthem.

:D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Applesisapples

The big issue for many Northern Nationalists and the flag and anthem is that, it is only at our County Team matches and County finals if your club gets there that these expressions of our culture and identity are openly recognised. Every other aspect of life and government in the North is at best neutral, as with Ulster Rugby. But mostly life and government in the North is represented by the Ulster Banner and the fleg. Unionists if they were clever would give genuine parity to nationalist symbols and anthems as it would slow down for ever any prospect of a UI. But they just can't help themselves.

BennyCake

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 06, 2016, 04:18:58 PM
The big issue for many Northern Nationalists and the flag and anthem is that, it is only at our County Team matches and County finals if your club gets there that these expressions of our culture and identity are openly recognised. Every other aspect of life and government in the North is at best neutral, as with Ulster Rugby. But mostly life and government in the North is represented by the Ulster Banner and the fleg. Unionists if they were clever would give genuine parity to nationalist symbols and anthems as it would slow down for ever any prospect of a UI. But they just can't help themselves.

But your identity doesn't have to be a flag/anthem. The fact that you follow your club/county gives you a local identity. You put up your bunting, wear the shirt, rig out the kids in their kit... A belonging to place, and part of a wider, all-Ireland organisation that promotes the nations sport, language, dance, music. Following GAA gives you that unique identity. I dunno about others, but I don't need a tri-colour wrapped around me or have to sing the anthem before each game to declare how Irish I am. I'm not insecure about my identity.

Anthem at county/provincial and AI finals is more than enough. And a GAA flag flying at all games is sufficient IMO. The anthem at an AI final is a special occasion. We don't need it butchered Sunday after Sunday all year round.

Applesisapples

Quote from: BennyCake on December 06, 2016, 04:40:54 PM

But your identity doesn't have to be a flag/anthem. The fact that you follow your club/county gives you a local identity. You put up your bunting, wear the shirt, rig out the kids in their kit... A belonging to place, and part of a wider, all-Ireland organisation that promotes the nations sport, language, dance, music. Following GAA gives you that unique identity. I dunno about others, but I don't need a tri-colour wrapped around me or have to sing the anthem before each game to declare how Irish I am. I'm not insecure about my identity.

Anthem at county/provincial and AI finals is more than enough. And a GAA flag flying at all games is sufficient IMO. The anthem at an AI final is a special occasion. We don't need it butchered Sunday after Sunday all year round.
Where else in life in the north are these symbols that are part of my identity officially recognised and displayed? No where.

BennyCake

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 06, 2016, 04:55:39 PM

Where else in life in the north are these symbols that are part of my identity officially recognised and displayed? No where.

Where in the South are they officially recognised?

seafoid

Driving through the North is weird cos you closer you get to Belfast the more butchers aprons you see. Nobody in the South puts a flag outside their house unless it's for a GAA match. Killimordaly hung green and white fertiliser bags from electricity wires one year and that that was hilarious.
But no flags. Because you don't have to demonstrate your identity to anyone. You know who you are.
Unionists do not.

Joyce Carol Oates has a great quote "Homo sapiens is the species that invents symbols in which to invest passion and authority, then forgets that symbols are inventions"

Unionism is not rooted in anything. All settler societies have this problem. The Yanks worship the constitution. Joyce Carol Oates is American.

foxcommander

That was a pretty convenient line used by the free staters to absolve themselves from standing idly by.
Still shameful that Rugby was ever allowed in the door.

What troubles??
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

OgraAnDun

Quote from: BennyCake on December 06, 2016, 05:21:00 PM

Well it is the official flag and anthem of the state...

seafoid

What I really like about the GAA vis a vis the occupied territories is that they are as accepted as as Irish as any other county.
Which is how it should be. It brings people from the North into conversations they would otherwise be excluded from. Between 1921 and 1959 and again between 1969 and 1990 Northern punters were forced to listen to other people defining who they were and telling them how to sit or lie down or whatever.
But they are a huge part of the GAA family .
And if you can beat Kerry or Dublin , so much the better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3G1bwD0ao0

Tyrone has a siege complex but it is not because of not being accepted as Irish. It's something else, much deeper...
Brolly can work in whatever court in Belfast under UK law but he is accepted and respected as a valid commentator.

GAA breaks down the border. Which is nonsense anyway.

BennyCake

Quote from: AQMP on December 06, 2016, 05:45:19 PM

I'm intrigued to know why allegiance to a flag and anthem means someone is insecure about their identity??

Allegiance is fine, but you have to wonder about those who's be all and end all is a flag and anthem. Some people can't think beyond them.

BennyCake

Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 06, 2016, 06:21:56 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 06, 2016, 05:21:00 PM

Well it is the official flag and anthem of the state...

Yes, but where is this evident? On top a few buildings maybe.