Brazilian football team plane crash

Started by bennydorano, November 29, 2016, 08:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: armaghniac on December 02, 2016, 05:23:36 PM
Co-pilot on her first flight.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2306176/colombia-plane-crash-victim-sisy-arias-was-co-piloting-for-the-first-time-when-doomed-jet-crashed/

Given that the Captain is supposed to have part owned the airline, it isn't hard to see how he could brow beat the co-pilot, even though they were breaking every rule in the book.
Very sad and totally unnecessary.

The sun is such a f**king rag.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

theticklemister

Didn't fly for 10 years up to about 5 years ago until I went to Flyfearless course with some fella in Dublin. He said that planes can fly without fuel for up to 30 minutes by gliding

ballinaman

Quote from: theticklemister on December 02, 2016, 06:04:57 PM
Didn't fly for 10 years up to about 5 years ago until I went to Flyfearless course with some fella in Dublin. He said that planes can fly without fuel for up to 30 minutes by gliding
Electrical failure, Andes mountains at night. Gliding would have been difficult I'd say.

armaghniac

Quote from: ballinaman on December 02, 2016, 06:22:29 PM
Electrical failure, Andes mountains at night. Gliding would have been difficult I'd say.

While the electrical failure followed on the engines shutting down, you would expect some battery back for a few minutes at least.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

laoislad

I see Ronaldhino has said he will come out of retirement to play for the club.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

tyssam5

Ewan McKenna on twitter has a pic of the flight plan, fuel for 4h.22 mins - journey time 4h.22mins

muppet

Quote from: ballinaman on December 02, 2016, 06:22:29 PM

You typically glide your height in feet multiplied by 3. So 30,000' would allow you to glide for about 90 nautical miles. They were in a holding pattern, over high ground, so were probably only something like 5,000' - 10,000' above the ground.

Battery power provides typically between 10 and 30 minutes power to a few essential instruments. We heard the Captain talking to ATC saying he had lost electrics, thus his radio had to be using battery power.

Most aircraft have a RAT (Ram Air Turbine) that drops into the airflow when electrics are lost and provides limited electrical power. But, as far as I know, the BAE 146 doesn't have a RAT.

If the 4 hours 22 minutes mentioned above is true, then that airline should be completely grounded pending an investigation into all flights for the last few years, to see if this was a common occurrence. If it happened often, jail the lot of them.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

It appears that the Argentinian team that played and lost against Brazil on the 10th November were very, very lucky:

Also, if the above is true, they will be arresting more of the senior management of the airline.

Chapecoense plane crash: Bolivia arrests LaMia airline boss
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-38231774

Bolivia jails second suspect implicated in Colombia plane crash
Former aviation official Gustavo Vargas Villegas accused of misusing influence to authorise plane's operating licence

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/10/colombia-plane-crash-second-suspect-bolivia-brazil
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on December 11, 2016, 05:22:44 PM
It was a short distance plane as well

The 45 minutes on that chart would be very variable, as heavier weights, altitude of departure airfield, short runway length, high temperatures could limit the amount of fuel on departure, thus reducing the range.

It appears that flying way, way beyond the legal limit was the norm. I expect every involved in that outfit to be locked up if that is true.

Messi, Higuan, Macherano and co were very lucky.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on December 11, 2016, 07:50:24 PM
It is dreadful.

I know I am a week or more behind on this, but it looks as if they didn't have the correct permit to fly from Argentina to Brazil and back for that international World Cup qualifier. It looks as if they were complete cowboys.

Would people go to the dentist who charges only €2?
Or use the cheapest lawyer for something important?
Or send your kids to the cheapest school?

If I were Messi, I'd hire my own transport after reading that.
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

A Government investigation into a plane crash that killed dozens of members of a Brazilian soccer team has concluded that the airline and the pilot were 'directly responsible' for the devastating crash.

Go To

The pilot, Miguel Quiroga, was one of 71 people killed when a plane operated by the Bolivia-based charter apparently ran out of fuel and crashed on a wooded hillside near the Colombian city Medellin. Quiroga was also a co-owner of the airline.

The aircraft had been transporting Brazil's Chapecoense soccer team to the biggest game in its history, the final of the Copa Sudamericana.

"LaMia and the pilot are directly responsible for what happened with this tragic event," Claros, who oversees Bolivia's aviation authority, told reporters.

Gustavo Vargas Gamboa, LaMia's chief executive, was jailed pending trial earlier this month on manslaughter and other charges. He has denied the charges.

His son Gustavo Vargas Villegas, a former official with Bolivia's aviation authority, is also being held until trial on charges that he misused his influence in authorizing the license of the plane that crashed. He also says he is innocent.

Criminal charges were also brought against LaMia co-owner Marco Antonio Rocha Benegas, whose whereabouts are unknown, and air traffic controller Celia Castedo, who fled Bolivia after the crash and is seeking asylum in Brazil.

At the press conference, Claros said the crash was an "isolated" incident and did not mean it was unsafe to fly in Bolivia. Still he said the government would accelerate the process of implementing a new aeronautical safety system
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Different crash in Columbia, this time 3 days ago.....

This is shocking stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=381RJkT52tw

That was the 'take-off'.

It struggled on for a couple of minutes after that before crashing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNogfZWrS6c

MWWSI 2017