Sober for October!

Started by No wides, September 27, 2016, 09:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Some lads stupidly confuse 'need' with 'like', especially where booze is concerned.  Some people like a beer or on a Saturday/Friday/Tuesday... night.  It just might be difficult to give it up for 4 weeks in a row.  Nothing to do with a 'need' for alcohol, just because that's what they like to do.  Some people like going to the gym on a Saturday morning.  Have they got a problem if they found that difficult to give up for a month?  I'm sorry gallsman, but your post is a load of shoite.

gallsman

Yes, some people do confuse "need" with "like", hence I specifically referred to people who struggle to do it or find it a challenge. So no, my post isn't a load of "shoite". Ironically, your post attempting to draw an equivalence with going to the gym is.

stew

Quote from: No wides on September 27, 2016, 12:19:39 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 27, 2016, 12:10:45 PM
Quote from: No wides on September 27, 2016, 12:08:36 PMYour first post made that assertion when you make all sorts of conclusions in your head and climbed on your moral high horse to berate anyone who might try to give up alcohol for a period of time to raise money for a good cause.

No, it didn't. It merely made a comment about whether giving up alcohol for four weeks is in any way an achievement. It didn't mention "the good cause" at all.

It was the second post on this thread - who said it was an achievement at that stage, you obviously just thought your were being a wise guy coming out with sanctimonious drivel, as I mentioned you obviously have an issue with your relationship with alcohol, I doubt if it was give up sugar for a month or cake, or do 10 minutes exercise a day you would have come out with such putrid drivel.

The man loves himself and is an arrogant human being, if you took the time to read his posts on here there is a thread of sanctimonious superiority to them, don't bother to read them,they are not worth reading generally.

I love stout, I am not going to drink during October, if I do it will be my last because if I can't do without for a month I have an issue with alcohol and I do not need that.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

gallsman

thebuzz

Quote from: gallsman on September 27, 2016, 02:24:29 PM
Yes, some people do confuse "need" with "like", hence I specifically referred to people who struggle to do it or find it a challenge. So no, my post isn't a load of "shoite". Ironically, your post attempting to draw an equivalence with going to the gym is.

I don't get involved much in these things gallsman but it would appear that you tend to court controversy. How come everyone in these three pages has issue with your stance?

The Iceman

just reading back over the thread and it speaks to a culture that revolves around alcohol.... It's an Irish and UK think - the soaps revolve around a pub, the craic with the lads can only be had in the pub and you have to be drinking or you're a sponge or pregnant and we can't be having that...
I would imagine gallsman you were moving away from this kind of lifestyle when you lived at home and now even more so since you moved away?

I'll agree that the cause is a good one if you raise awareness and take money away from the pubs and off licenses and get it to someone who needs it.  But I'll agree with gallsman if its a struggle to go without then there is the beginnings of a problem
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

ONeill

Few boys here need to drink more.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

maddog

Quote from: gallsman on September 27, 2016, 02:35:53 PM
Quote from: stew on September 27, 2016, 02:33:20 PM
I love stout

Claimed to me you didn't drink at all.

Thats maybe after Diz carried him out of the harps club. These things happen.

trueblue1234

I don't think anyone actually considers it a real "Struggle" in the true sense of the word. It's just a gimmicky way to raise awareness and to raise some money, not much different from the Ice bucket challenge (Or what was that other one that you had to pledge money to??). I don't think anyone that does it is actually sitting there thinking how hard it is? Because the reality is that there's nothing wrong with going to the pub every Saturday for a couple of drinks, so cutting it out is no big deal.   
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Franko

Quote from: gallsman on September 27, 2016, 02:24:29 PM

Some people might find it a challenge to give up things they like doing for a month.  That's the equivalence and that's the end of it.  Anything else relating to alcoholism is hyperbole.

Nigel White

Quote from: gallsman on September 27, 2016, 09:34:23 AM
Quote from: No wides on September 27, 2016, 09:29:18 AM
Anyone else doing it, a great way of helping yourself as well as raising money for a great cause.

https://www.gosober.org.uk/

Not unless you translate it into a long term change of lifestyle.

Anyone who thinks not drinking for a month is an achievement needs a boot up the hole and to seriously re-evaluate their relationship with alcohol.
Nice one. A few months ago you got on your sanctimonious high horse over the tone of a comment I made on the Euro rate thread, now you post this!

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: ONeill on September 27, 2016, 03:03:01 PM
Few boys here need to drink more.

This man is right.....can we not settle this over a drink?

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.