Donegal V Tyrone Ulster Final 17th July

Started by never kickt a ball, July 03, 2016, 11:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: lenny on July 18, 2016, 02:13:16 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 18, 2016, 01:52:00 PM
Hard to argue with this . . .

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/eugene-mcgee-its-sad-to-watch-desecration-of-our-once-great-game-called-gaelic-football-34891368.html

Accurate up to a point. Yes, Donegal always play that way but he seems to think Tyrone have been playing diferently and adapted their tactics just for yesterday. Tyrone will play exactly the same way in croke park. it can be exciting but only if one team attacks and leaves gaps. When 2 teams adopt the same tactics like yesterday it's just like watching basketball and I hate basketball.

Yourself and Screen will find this summer extremely difficult, just like loyalists your main past time is hating their neighbours.

AZOffaly

Quote from: vallankumous on July 19, 2016, 01:16:27 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 19, 2016, 01:02:21 PM
Yes, I'm not being smart. You know that a deliberate trip is a black card. A lot of people don't know what is/isn't a black card offence.

I thought it was for cynical play. There was nothing cynical about it in that position at that time. If he did attempt to trip him then it was just a stupid foul.

Category II
Being ordered off for a Cynical Behavior
Infraction (in Football)
(i) Deliberately pulling down an opponent.
(ii) Deliberately tripping an opponent with the
hand(s), arm, leg or foot.
(iii) Deliberately body colliding with an opponent
after he has played the ball away or for the
purpose of taking him out of a movement of
play.
(iv) Threatening or using abusive or provocative
language or gestures to an opponent or a
team-mate.
(v) Remonstrating in an aggressive manner with
a Match Official.

under the bar

QuoteYou should have been there the day Armagh ended 17 years of hurt in 1999

I was.  Haven't seen so many Armagh men cry since 1984.

TabClear

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 19, 2016, 01:41:24 PM
Quote from: vallankumous on July 19, 2016, 01:16:27 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 19, 2016, 01:02:21 PM
Yes, I'm not being smart. You know that a deliberate trip is a black card. A lot of people don't know what is/isn't a black card offence.

I thought it was for cynical play. There was nothing cynical about it in that position at that time. If he did attempt to trip him then it was just a stupid foul.

Category II
Being ordered off for a Cynical Behavior
Infraction (in Football)
(i) Deliberately pulling down an opponent.
(ii) Deliberately tripping an opponent with the
hand(s), arm, leg or foot.
(iii) Deliberately body colliding with an opponent
after he has played the ball away or for the
purpose of taking him out of a movement of
play.
(iv) Threatening or using abusive or provocative
language or gestures to an opponent or a
team-mate.
(v) Remonstrating in an aggressive manner with
a Match Official.

Surely this should be a red anyway. Can't see why it's deemed a black. 

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 19, 2016, 12:04:08 PM
Has there been official word that McShane got the card for verbals or is everybody just going on what a commentator said?  When you see the incident again, there is a case for a penalty for McShane as he is pushed to the ground and as for the him using the hand, I would say he was more concerned about the opposition players foot coming down on his body hence why he pushed the trailing leg away.

This is exactly what happened.

When the refund called him over he made the triping with the hand motion. The BBC story was incorrect.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

imtommygunn

By the letter of the law that's a black. It didn't even look like he said anything to the umpire. I really don't think there's any case for a penalty...

On the letter of the law by his interpretation Coldrick was right on the two black cards. If he interpreted Donnelly checked McHugh then he had to give him a black. Where the problem is, and he went wrong, was that Murphy's was pretty much exactly the same (if not worse) than donnelly's and then there was Kavanagh's too. (Rory not misspelt Sean).

vallankumous

Yes by letter of law it is right. I can see how the ref thought it a trip.

In saying that surely the ref can allow some room when the punishment doesn't fit the crime.
Applying a black and white approach to the rule is counterproductive.
The ref should apply the spirit of the rule in cases of discipline.

Norf Tyrone

McGee was ambling over the top of him. He was putting his hand up to protect himself.

The refund was looking at it and if he thought it was a bc he should've gave it. Instead the umpire called him to it.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

T Fearon

Jim McGuinness says Donegal fell into same trap as they did in last year's Ulster Final when the lost to Monaghan.Monaghan were defeated in last year's AI Quarter Final as will Tyrone in this year's.

imtommygunn

yep I would agree. it was more petulant than cynical and really nothing in it but if you ask a refs committee or coldrick himself I would guess he would say he did the right thing.

I think it's the law is more of an ass than the enforcer of it to be honest.

where Coldrick falls down was not giving murphy one given his interpretation of donnelly's earlier.

The ref probably wasn't looking at the ground nor whereas the umpire spotted it. It was just a minor wee thing but really don't think it was protection.

Did it not used to be the case that the only thing umpires influenced were square balls? I assume that has changed?

BennyHarp

Quote from: T Fearon on July 19, 2016, 02:50:58 PM
Jim McGuinness says Donegal fell into same trap as they did in last year's Ulster Final when the lost to Monaghan.Monaghan were defeated in last year's AI Quarter Final as will Tyrone in this year's.

I suppose if you keep saying Tyrone are going to get beaten then eventually you will be right. Even a broken clock is right twice a day!
That was never a square ball!!

Esmarelda

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on July 19, 2016, 02:48:35 PM
McGee was ambling over the top of him. He was putting his hand up to protect himself.

The refund was looking at it and if he thought it was a bc he should've gave it. Instead the umpire called him to it.
Why have you used the word "refund" in your last two posts?

Fear ón Srath Bán

;D :D ;D :D ;D :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

J70

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 19, 2016, 11:41:41 AM
I watched the game again last night on BBC as had it recorded and despite having watched the Mattie black card incident several times I still can decide myself whether it should have been black or not.
Coldrick was quite close by when it happened and didn't even blow for a free when it happened. It seemed to be Gough the linesman (who did so well in our game v Cavan) who made the call and I'd say the blood wound on McHugh probably added to the cause. Whilst Mattie is not a dirty player, he does tend to like to use his body strength to hit hard and take a tackle even when he doesn't need to. For me I felt he saw McHugh coming straight at him and knowing he was bigger and more solid thought for a split second I'm not getting out of the way here and allowed McHugh's momentum to crash into him as he's a lot smaller than Mattie. Who knows for sure but that was my take on the incident. In slow motion Mattie's arm seems to come out a bit and I think that's what maybe caused the wound. To me I think it should have been yellow as it could have been dangerous play.

McShane's one was also strange as it definitely appeared to be for a hand trip on the defender. He should have got the ball into his possession earlier but maybe there was a small push but hard to say. He clearly touches the defenders foot/shin but it was minimal contact but the defender then (was it Eamon McGee) made the most of it.
Despite what the BBC commentator said, there didn't appear to be any conversation between McShane and the umpire whatsoever whoever you would imagine there was sledging between him and the Donegal players as usual.

Anyway, on another note. Whilst delighted we finally beat this Donegal team and the horrible style of football they make you play to try to match them, I can't help but think of players like Murphy, McBrearty and the McHughs among others. They have benefited in some ways from what their system gave them a few years back but these talented players must be fed up to the back teeth playing like this. Murphy in particular should be one of the top players every year in Ireland yet his career is being wasted in my eyes by the system they play. If he played for Dublin or Kerry or even Mayo he would be a superstar I think as kicking and fielding skills alone are amazing. However most games he plays in, he is suffocated from the start and rarely gets decent ball into an area of space or with teammates around him for support. I think Donegal find themselves now almost under pressure to play this style of game now rather than mixing it up a bit. I can understand some teams playing it against awesome forward lines like Dublin where they can get roasted but Donegal have good forwards themselves if they would play to their strengths sometimes and stop being so fearful.

How do you Donegal fans feel? Would you not rather take the chance and see how ye fair playing a more open expansive game?

Well, maybe vary it a bit at least. It was clear after ten minutes of the second half that Tyrone had figured out the Donegal attack. It was like waves washing up on a beach, with Donegal being constantly pushed back at the 45m line and passing across the field. Why not at least try to hit a few in on top of and in front of Murphy and McBrearty?