Figuring out who is catholic on the NI soccer panel

Started by seafoid, May 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2016, 08:35:16 PMUnionists suspected that NICRA was a front for the IRA. The involvement of republicans such as ... the Gaelic Athletic Association ... would only confirm their suspicions.

Is this a quote or did you write this?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hardy on June 23, 2016, 10:09:10 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2016, 08:35:16 PMUnionists suspected that NICRA was a front for the IRA. The involvement of republicans such as ... the Gaelic Athletic Association ... would only confirm their suspicions.

Is this a quote or did you write this?

Quote....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

michaelg

Quote from: Rossfan on June 22, 2016, 03:32:54 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 22, 2016, 02:56:02 PM
Didn't Paisley oppose the CR marches and their aims? How dare those taigs think they're equal to us. It was alright trodding on them for decades, and they knew their place, but when they demand equal rights, we'll have to do something about that!! It sums up a lot of the unionist thinking at the time (and still).
TUV, a lot of DUP and various brands of Fleggers are still of the view that the place for Taigs is over the Border.
The same way, some Nationalists / Republicans think Unionists should be back in GB. Assholes on both sides.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: passedit on June 23, 2016, 08:09:07 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 23, 2016, 07:50:30 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 23, 2016, 04:29:49 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2016, 08:35:16 PM
On 4 October 1968, a day before NICRA's Derry march, the IRA admitted that it was infiltrating the civil rights movement as well as trade unions.

The Northern Ireland government accused NICRA of being a front for republican and communist ideologies. Unionists suspected that NICRA was a front for the IRA. The involvement of republicans such as IRA chief of staff Cathal Goulding, the Irish National Foresters, the Gaelic Athletic Association, and the Wolfe Tone Societies, would only confirm their suspicions.

Once internment was introduced the civil rights group lost its way, they wanted to reform the state, not bring it down... So what ended up was republicans trying to bring the state to its knees through the bombings and shootings.... What we have in the end is a republican and loyalist partnership in Stormont ... Makes you wonder about the families that lost love ones and years lost easting away in jails...

Would we have got were we are today (wherever that is) without the deaths??
What the war did was destroy the NI economy. Marching up and down the shop floor is great craic as long as you have customers. Unionism retreated into law and order and the world moved on.

I think it is very hard to give up a caste system peacefully. Ô Neill was right but the people went with Paisley . He fucked everything up.

So the deaths were part of that?? Must have been nice for you in Galway while the shit went down here

So, still waiting for the Sinn Fein references.

Or by SF did you mean SF/IRA / them feenyuns.

Is there a difference?  I can take SF out and change it republican if that keeps you happy, because Martin, Gerry and the rest of our politicians were not members of the IRA....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Rossfan

Quote from: michaelg on June 23, 2016, 10:21:37 AM
Didn't Paisley oppose the CR marches and their aims? How dare those taigs think they're equal to us. It was alright trodding on them for decades, and they knew their place, but when they demand equal rights, we'll have to do something about that!! It sums up a lot of the unionist thinking at the time (and still).
TUV, a lot of DUP and various brands of Fleggers are still of the view that the place for Taigs is over the Border.
The same way, some Nationalists / Republicans think Unionists should be back in GB. Assholes on both sides.
How manyfof these "some Nationalists / Republicans" get elected?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

michaelg

Quote from: Rossfan on June 23, 2016, 12:18:39 PM
Quote from: michaelg on June 23, 2016, 10:21:37 AM
How manyfof these "some Nationalists / Republicans" get elected?
Didn't Danny Morrisson refer to the unionist community as 'the boat people'?

Ulick

Quote from: michaelg on June 23, 2016, 12:31:43 PM
Didn't Danny Morrisson refer to the unionist community as 'the boat people'?

Did he? I was curious and Googled. The only reference to it was from a Johnny Adair obsessed loon who also thinks Danny Morrison was an MP. 

Lazer

The IFA represented the whole of Ireland, until the south decided it wanted a new team.

The IFA continued under the name of Ireland right up until the 1970's, although they stopped accepting players from the South in the 50's due to a FIFA ruling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland_national_football_team_(1882%E2%80%931950)

Makes interesting reading.

As far as I am concerned both teams are from Ireland, and support both teams equally. (Although don't actually have much interest in Soccer).

My Dad and brother have always supported NI, my Dad supported George Best and Pat Jennings so to him it was natural to support the North as that was who they played for.

I don't care what anthem they sing under, I will support an Irish team.
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Lazer on June 23, 2016, 02:52:18 PM
The IFA represented the whole of Ireland, until the south decided it wanted a new team.

The IFA continued under the name of Ireland right up until the 1970's, although they stopped accepting players from the South in the 50's due to a FIFA ruling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland_national_football_team_(1882%E2%80%931950)

As far as I am concerned both teams are from Ireland, and support both teams equally. (Although don't actually have much interest in Soccer).

My Dad and brother have always supported NI, my Dad supported George Best and Pat Jennings so to him it was natural to support the North as that was who they played for.

I would doubt there is much appetite from the IFA to move towards one team despite the obvious advantages for both parties.
One league at club level would be a step forwards as well I would imagine in terms of improving the quality on both sides of the border.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

NAG1

Even if the association and its followers don't view themselves as Irish?

Lazer

Quote from: NAG1 on June 23, 2016, 03:07:41 PM

Even if the association and its followers don't view themselves as Irish?

The Association calls itself the Irish Football Association, and views itself as Northern Irish so yes I will support them.

Many unionists actually do consider themselves Irish, in the same way as the Welsh are both Welsh and British, among the older unionists (The non bitter ones) they see themselves as both British and Irish. The young generation seem to identify as Northern Irish and British (I don't agree that there is really such a thing as Northern Irish - but respect someones right to identify however they choose).

Sport is entirely separate to politics and religion (Or at least should be), so yes I will support a team that people from my country play for.
David Healy lives about 10 mile from me, and probably a few other NI players, so yes I will support them, and equally support the Republic of Ireland,

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

We live in a divided society, to me the anthem matters only from the point of view that it reinforces the resistance from unionists to equality in the North. Changing the anthem wouldn't make me support the team. It just shows a lack of respect to those from the catholic tradition who do support and play for the team.

Lazer

Quote from: armaghniac on June 23, 2016, 03:29:14 PM
Later,  no wonder you are supporting Brexit!

What does me supporting both Irish teams have to do with me supporting a Brexit?