Figuring out who is catholic on the NI soccer panel

Started by seafoid, May 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

I suspect when we get our All Ireland sovereign State that the " North Eastern autonomous region" will continue to have a separate international soccer team.
Talking about dicks I believe some members of the " greatest supporters in the world" have a James McClean song which isn't very inclusive ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

MR the catalyst for the war was economic discrimination.  Many Catholics lived in shocking conditions and were discriminated against systematically for jobs. NI has always been grubby.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on June 22, 2016, 11:50:14 AM
MR the catalyst for the war was economic discrimination.  Many Catholics lived in shocking conditions and were discriminated against systematically for jobs. NI has always been grubby.

Social depravation on both sides, you obviously have not been working in the estates in Ballybeen, Shankill, Rathcoole and the rest... being discriminated against does not mean going out and bombing people.

The civil rights movement was hijacked  to a certain extent by SF
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2016, 12:15:51 PM

Social depravation on both sides, you obviously have not been working in the estates in Ballybeen, Shankill, Rathcoole and the rest... being discriminated against does not mean going out and bombing people.

Once free education started the PSFPP was dead. Some protestants lived in bad conditions too but overall the system favoured them. Social housing was allocated on the basis of religion as were many jobs. Between 1969 and now a lot of Protestant jobs disappeared. Loyalist communities are still dealing with the implications. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on June 22, 2016, 01:07:07 PM

Once free education started the PSFPP was dead. Some protestants lived in bad conditions too but overall the system favoured them. Social housing was allocated on the basis of religion as were many jobs. Between 1969 and now a lot of Protestant jobs disappeared. Loyalist communities are still dealing with the implications.

There was always free education, free school meals too when I grew up and I went to school in the 70's..... Had this argument before about the shipyard and Shorts ... yep massive discrimination there even when I started as an apprentice there in 88 there was only 4 of us out of 30 that started... equal opportunities came in 86 possibly I'm not sure but what had happen was that because of the discrimination up to the time the equality commission was set up most Catholics didn't apply for the shipyard and Shorts as it was a cold house

I spoke to the training manager years later and he said they could get catholics to apply (due to what had went on in the past) they went to schools and training facilities to promote but this stuff was ingrained in a lot of people in working class catholic areas, as it was for me, but the money was good and they had further education and I was my own person, I didn't follow what others said or told me and found things out for myself, unlike you ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

passedit

It's exam time so show your workings.
Don't Panic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: passedit on June 22, 2016, 01:41:38 PM

Was it not?

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2016, 01:34:32 PM

There was always free education, free school meals too when I grew up and I went to school in the 70's..... Had this argument before about the shipyard and Shorts ... yep massive discrimination there even when I started as an apprentice there in 88 there was only 4 of us out of 30 that started... equal opportunities came in 86 possibly I'm not sure but what had happen was that because of the discrimination up to the time the equality commission was set up most Catholics didn't apply for the shipyard and Shorts as it was a cold house

I spoke to the training manager years later and he said they could get catholics to apply (due to what had went on in the past) they went to schools and training facilities to promote but this stuff was ingrained in a lot of people in working class catholic areas, as it was for me, but the money was good and they had further education and I was my own person, I didn't follow what others said or told me and found things out for myself, unlike you ;)
free education started in the 60s . Unionism is very like Zionism. It had a defeated population and it kept them faoi smacht for 2 generations. And no more. You can't educate people and expect them to put up with institutionalised bigotry

SkillfulBill

I think the reference is to the Atlee government post war years and the 1944 Education reforms where provision for post primary and 3rd level education became available free to the Catholic people
It's one thing to discriminated against poorly educated and organised people its another to attempt it with educated people. Civil rights leaders of the 60's were the first beneficiaries of the post war education reforms Hume Curry McAliskey, McCluskey etc. O aye and Gerry he was at the meeting too apparently.

northsideboy

Quote from: laoislad on June 21, 2016, 06:20:19 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on June 21, 2016, 05:48:41 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on June 21, 2016, 04:27:28 PM

They can dress it up any way they like all nicey nicey but most of them are one pint or bottle of buckfast away from being knuckle draggers.

All the inclusion and fancy posters isnt going to change that.

Most of them or some of them in fairness.

There are plenty in the Republic's support you would avoid too.  That's the soccer crowd for you.

The same lads serenading babies and fixing punctures in France would bate ten colours of shite out of you in Temple Bar of an evening.

/Jim.
That's the soccer crowd for you? Fcuk off would you. Im sure 99% of Irish fans out in France are also GAA fans.   
Following a certain sport doesn't make you more inclined to bate the head off someone it just means you're a p***k.
Plenty of unsavoury types follow GAA as well.

Unless they're from Laois who wouldn't bother going anyway. And this: http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/top-kinahan-gang-member-spotted-at-euros-in-bordeaux-34815426.html

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on June 22, 2016, 01:54:10 PM

free education started in the 60s . Unionism is very like Zionism. It had a defeated population and it kept them faoi smacht for 2 generations. And no more. You can't educate people and expect them to put up with institutionalised bigotry

I didn't, I gave you the timelines, once these things were put in place it was up to the catholics to apply for these jobs, all the major companies had to comply with equality.... education standards I would say would have been no different on any side of the street you lived on.... fear was the main thing for catholics starting jobs in the east of the city and with good reason...and all I'm saying is that we didn't need to blow people up to get it

Ulick

Catholics didn't apply because they were f**king black holes and life-threatening places to be for a Catholic.
My oul fella worked for Shorts in the 70's and besides the normal intimidation of wrapping union flags around his machine and such jolly japes he was attacked on numerous occasion and had to leave after a warning from the RUC that he was going to be shot. But rather than your "sure wasn't it all great" narrative, both firms were dangerous places for Catholics right up to the mid 90s.

Maurice O'Kane -- murdered in H&W 1994
Joe Reynolds -- murdered in Shorts 1993

passedit

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2016, 01:52:41 PM

Was it not?

you're the one who said it was, Show your workings or admit you're bullshitting.
Don't Panic

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2016, 02:06:36 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 22, 2016, 01:54:10 PM

I didn't, I gave you the timelines, once these things were put in place it was up to the catholics to apply for these jobs, all the major companies had to comply with equality.... education standards I would say would have been no different on any side of the street you lived on.... fear was the main thing for catholics starting jobs in the east of the city and with good reason...and all I'm saying is that we didn't need to blow people up to get it

1960's civil rights movement was modelled on the African American movement of Kings. Originally it was largely pacifist in nature. This was meet with violent resistance from the state and Unionist population from the first civil rights movement between Coalisland and Dungannon being blocked from entering the square. To the 68 attack ny the RUC on the Civil Rights march in Derry. Burntollet and the Bombay St clearances in Belfast. Given Irish history's long association with violent rebellion it was only a matter of time that things would degenerate. Had Unionisim followed ONeills leadership things may have been different.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: passedit on June 22, 2016, 02:10:11 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2016, 01:52:41 PM

Was it not?

you're the one who said it was, Show your workings or admit you're bullshitting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_civil_rights_movement

I'm sure there are plenty of examples of what I said in my post, hijacked  to a certain extent by SF