Previous topic - Next topic

passedit

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2016, 02:41:36 PM
Quote from: passedit on June 22, 2016, 02:10:11 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2016, 01:52:41 PM
Quote from: passedit on June 22, 2016, 01:41:38 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2016, 12:15:51 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 22, 2016, 11:50:14 AM
MR the catalyst for the war was economic discrimination.  Many Catholics lived in shocking conditions and were discriminated against systematically for jobs. NI has always been grubby.

Social depravation on both sides, you obviously have not been working in the estates in Ballybeen, Shankill, Rathcoole and the rest... being discriminated against does not mean going out and bombing people.

The civil rights movement was hijacked  to a certain extent by SF

It's exam time so show your workings.

Was it not?

you're the one who said it was, Show your workings or admit you're bullshitting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_civil_rights_movement

I'm sure there are plenty of examples of what I said in my post, hijacked  to a certain extent by SF

SF not mentioned to any extent in your link? Must do better, show your workings.
Don't Panic

BennyCake

Didn't Paisley oppose the CR marches and their aims? How dare those taigs think they're equal to us. It was alright trodding on them for decades, and they knew their place, but when they demand equal rights, we'll have to do something about that!! It sums up a lot of the unionist thinking at the time (and still).

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2016, 02:06:36 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 22, 2016, 01:54:10 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2016, 01:34:32 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 22, 2016, 01:07:07 PM
MR the catalyst for the war was economic discrimination.  Many Catholics lived in shocking conditions and were discriminated against systematically for jobs. NI has always been grubby.

Social depravation on both sides, you obviously have not been working in the estates in Ballybeen, Shankill, Rathcoole and the rest... being discriminated against does not mean going out and bombing people.

Once free education started the PSFPP was dead. Some protestants lived in bad conditions too but overall the system favoured them. Social housing was allocated on the basis of religion as were many jobs. Between 1969 and now a lot of Protestant jobs disappeared. Loyalist communities are still dealing with the implications.

There was always free education, free school meals too when I grew up and I went to school in the 70's..... Had this argument before about the shipyard and Shorts ... yep massive discrimination there even when I started as an apprentice there in 88 there was only 4 of us out of 30 that started... equal opportunities came in 86 possibly I'm not sure but what had happen was that because of the discrimination up to the time the equality commission was set up most Catholics didn't apply for the shipyard and Shorts as it was a cold house

I spoke to the training manager years later and he said they could get catholics to apply (due to what had went on in the past) they went to schools and training facilities to promote but this stuff was ingrained in a lot of people in working class catholic areas, as it was for me, but the money was good and they had further education and I was my own person, I didn't follow what others said or told me and found things out for myself, unlike you ;)
free education started in the 60s . Unionism is very like Zionism. It had a defeated population and it kept them faoi smacht for 2 generations. And no more. You can't educate people and expect them to put up with institutionalised bigotry

I didn't, I gave you the timelines, once these things were put in place it was up to the catholics to apply for these jobs, all the major companies had to comply with equality.... education standards I would say would have been no different on any side of the street you lived on.... fear was the main thing for catholics starting jobs in the east of the city and with good reason...and all I'm saying is that we didn't need to blow people up to get it

I'd disagree with this point and its one of the few things I'd give the Catholic church a bit of credence here (even if it was self serving) in so much that it was literally hammered it into you that you needed a good education to get a job.
On easy street you left school at 16 not a scrap of paper to your name and yer uncle Sammy got you a good job in the shipyard/Shorts/Civil service where you worked for as long as you wanted.
I've met lads in similar industries to these who'd worked their way up to senior managerial positions without a qualification to their name and one even remarked to me that he couldn't believe that the firm we both worked for now had a Gaelic football team entering inter-firms competitions as "in my day before we shut for the twelfth, everyone who was in a band brought their instruments in and they marched up and down the shop floor before heading out the door"

No wonder they went ballistic when those uppity taigs wanted a fair crack at it!

Rossfan

Quote from: BennyCake on June 22, 2016, 02:56:02 PM
Didn't Paisley oppose the CR marches and their aims? How dare those taigs think they're equal to us. It was alright trodding on them for decades, and they knew their place, but when they demand equal rights, we'll have to do something about that!! It sums up a lot of the unionist thinking at the time (and still).
TUV, a lot of DUP and various brands of Fleggers are still of the view that the place for Taigs is over the Border.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2016, 02:41:36 PM
Quote from: passedit on June 22, 2016, 02:10:11 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2016, 01:52:41 PM
Quote from: passedit on June 22, 2016, 01:41:38 PM

It's exam time so show your workings.

Was it not?

you're the one who said it was, Show your workings or admit you're bullshitting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_civil_rights_movement

I'm sure there are plenty of examples of what I said in my post, hijacked  to a certain extent by SF

Milltown your not doing much of Job convincing us that the civil rights was hijacked by SF. I think it was the violent reaction to the initial Civil rights movement which spawned the  re construction of the republican independence campaign.

Milltown Row2

There are plenty links in that wiki mentioning republican influences within the civil rights which changed it from peace marches to violence petrol bombs and shootings.... Now if that wasn't organized by Marty and his mates then who? Hume? Get a grip ffs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2016, 07:47:18 PM
There are plenty links in that wiki mentioning republican influences within the civil rights which changed it from peace marches to violence petrol bombs and shootings.... Now if that wasn't organized by Marty and his mates then who? Hume? Get a grip ffs
The state made no concessions so violence was inevitable.Same in the 80s with Thatcher

Milltown Row2

On 4 October 1968, a day before NICRA's Derry march, the IRA admitted that it was infiltrating the civil rights movement as well as trade unions.

The Northern Ireland government accused NICRA of being a front for republican and communist ideologies. Unionists suspected that NICRA was a front for the IRA. The involvement of republicans such as IRA chief of staff Cathal Goulding, the Irish National Foresters, the Gaelic Athletic Association, and the Wolfe Tone Societies, would only confirm their suspicions.

Once internment was introduced the civil rights group lost its way, they wanted to reform the state, not bring it down... So what ended up was republicans trying to bring the state to its knees through the bombings and shootings.... What we have in the end is a republican and loyalist partnership in Stormont ... Makes you wonder about the families that lost love ones and years lost easting away in jails...

Would we have got were we are today (wherever that is) without the deaths??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tonto

f**k sake lads do you never get fed up going over this stuff? It was always a sectarian thread from the outset, but at least there was some sort of focus on 2016 in it.

armaghniac

Thread on team representing  sectarian place,  what do you expect?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

So the provos weren't yet formed but infriltrated the nicra... ok

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2016, 08:35:16 PM
On 4 October 1968, a day before NICRA's Derry march, the IRA admitted that it was infiltrating the civil rights movement as well as trade unions.

The Northern Ireland government accused NICRA of being a front for republican and communist ideologies. Unionists suspected that NICRA was a front for the IRA. The involvement of republicans such as IRA chief of staff Cathal Goulding, the Irish National Foresters, the Gaelic Athletic Association, and the Wolfe Tone Societies, would only confirm their suspicions.

Once internment was introduced the civil rights group lost its way, they wanted to reform the state, not bring it down... So what ended up was republicans trying to bring the state to its knees through the bombings and shootings.... What we have in the end is a republican and loyalist partnership in Stormont ... Makes you wonder about the families that lost love ones and years lost easting away in jails...

What the war did was destroy the NI economy. Marching up and down the shop floor is great craic as long as you have customers. Unionism retreated into law and order and the world moved on.

I think it is very hard to give up a caste system peacefully. Ô Neill was right but the people went with Paisley . He fucked everything up.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on June 23, 2016, 04:29:49 AM

What the war did was destroy the NI economy. Marching up and down the shop floor is great craic as long as you have customers. Unionism retreated into law and order and the world moved on.

I think it is very hard to give up a caste system peacefully. Ô Neill was right but the people went with Paisley . He fucked everything up.

So the deaths were part of that?? Must have been nice for you in Galway while the shit went down here

passedit

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 23, 2016, 07:50:30 AM

So the deaths were part of that?? Must have been nice for you in Galway while the shit went down here

So, still waiting for the Sinn Fein references.

Or by SF did you mean SF/IRA / them feenyuns.
Don't Panic

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 23, 2016, 07:50:30 AM

The unionists thought there was a level of violence that would stop the Taigs.
I can't think of one divided community left behind by the British empire that reached stability without violence.