Figuring out who is catholic on the NI soccer panel

Started by seafoid, May 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

PW Nally

Quote from: Ronnie on June 08, 2016, 04:11:25 PM
Dear Agony Aunt
I'm supporting Northern Ireland in the Euros.  I consider myself a dedicated GAA member and would aim towards a republic in political arguments.  Are those positions mutually exclusive?
Yours etc.
Con Fused

amanda

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 08, 2016, 03:42:21 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 08, 2016, 03:24:03 PM
Quote from: general_lee on June 08, 2016, 02:43:16 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 08, 2016, 08:09:58 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 08, 2016, 12:38:01 AM
Quote from: michaelg on June 08, 2016, 12:24:59 AM
Try again.  Read recently that over 50% of IFA employees are now from a catholic / nationalist background.

But not actual nationalists, I suspect.

Is that the same for Catholics that work fir the government here?? Not actually nationalists as why would they work for the British government and still be nationalist?? As far as I see playing for n.i and getting paid and working for n.i is the same surely?
That's like the old loyalist retort "why do you take the Queens shilling"  ::)

In what way? plenty people work in the private sector so it doesn't include them.... working for a government run job  and getting paid to play football for N.I is surely recognising the same state? (that doesn't actually exist)

I'm messing to a certain extent but my point stands..... any nationalist MLA/civil servant that is getting paid recognises that n.i is a country and accepts this colonising that armahnaic has harped on about.. and to that same logic is not a nationalist
I don't accept that, you can take a public sector job, whilst not giving your allegiance to the NI state and that doesn't make you any less nationalist. like wise you can accept that you aren't going to make the ROI team and play for NI and still hold nationalist views. They aren't mutually exclusive. I accept that the 6 counties/NI are currently under British jurisdiction, I don't like it but it is fact, that doesn't mean to say that I have to recognise it as a country which it patently isn't. It is a region of the UK and part of Ireland under British rule.

But thousands do work for a government accept it move on and don't feel they are contributing to partition or agreeing to colonizing, in fact they love it, plenty holidays (state holidays) and all the sick Holidays they must use....

As for not getting on ROI team, with their current rankings compared to n.i rankings, as a career choice it would be suicidal to play for the ROI team? You don't need to fight armaghnaics battles ffs.... He's a clever boy, he can do that on his own
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 09, 2016, 12:01:57 AM
But thousands do work for a government accept it move on and don't feel they are contributing to partition or agreeing to colonizing, in fact they love it, plenty holidays (state holidays) and all the sick Holidays they must use....

Working for government, especially in the context of agreed instutions is not comparable.
The IFA is almost unique among sporting organisations in using sectarianism as the basis for its organisation. A responsible person would choose not to endorse that.

QuoteAs for not getting on ROI team, with their current rankings compared to n.i rankings, as a career choice it would be suicidal to play for the ROI team? You don't need to fight armaghnaics battles ffs.... He's a clever boy, he can do that on his own

I'm a friendly chap and and don't wish to partition myself from other people, so Applesisapples is very welcome.

dec

Quote from: armaghniac on June 09, 2016, 12:33:39 AM
The IFA is almost unique among sporting organisations in using sectarianism as the basis for its organisation.

How does it use sectarianism as the basis for its organisation?

michaelg

Quote from: dec on June 09, 2016, 01:57:43 AM
The IFA is almost unique among sporting organisations in using sectarianism as the basis for its organisation.

I'm not sure that he knows what the word means.

JPGJOHNNYG

The IFA had a habit of lets say being a little biased when it came to its organisation. The FAI was set up as a direct response to this bias be it picking players for the national team to selecting where replays should be played. Some say these decisions were a a secuirty measure others say it was open sectarianism - take your pick. A stronger fairer IFA may have seen the likes of Derry City and Belfast Celtic still playing today in the Irish league.

Milltown Row2

Working for government, especially in the context of agreed instutions is not comparable.
The IFA is almost unique among sporting organisations in using sectarianism as the basis for its organisation. A responsible person would choose not to endorse that.

QuoteAs for not getting on ROI team, with their current rankings compared to n.i rankings, as a career choice it would be suicidal to play for the ROI team? You don't need to fight armaghnaics battles ffs.... He's a clever boy, he can do that on his own

I'm a friendly chap and and don't wish to partition myself from other people, so Applesisapples is very welcome.

So police, army, all their support staff, ministers, their aids and a Stormont officials that's ok to work for even pre GFA? as there were thousands working in those positions before that.....but you just cherry pick when it suits your point of view....

The one thing that is sectarianism or was more so was using Windsor park, being located where it is and the team that uses the pitch....I lived less than half a mile from the ground, I think I was in it about 3 or 4 times over the years, watched Utd play there, watched a George Best charity match and couple of other games, while very young at the time I sure my dad was a bit nervous about taking us there during the height of the troubles ....

like most people with hard core views it will (if at all) take years to see things differently.... like most clubs its a section of fans that can ruin it for everyone... it doesn't mean that the people running it are bigots, would make sense for the association to have as many people going to the games as possible, as it would for the Gaa to have both traditions playing gaa games
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: dec on June 09, 2016, 01:57:43 AM

It promotes Northern Ireland, a sectarian entity, in sport. Most other sporting bodies do not do this, they keep politics out of it.

T Fearon

The team is called N Ireland a part of the UK,whose constitutional status was endorsed in referendum as exhorted by SF and SDLP in the North,and by o ver 90% of those who voted in the South.In otherwords nationalists North and South agree NI should exist and be governed by the Uk

Applesisapples

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 08, 2016, 03:42:21 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 08, 2016, 03:24:03 PM
Quote from: general_lee on June 08, 2016, 02:43:16 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 08, 2016, 08:09:58 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 08, 2016, 12:38:01 AM
Quote from: michaelg on June 08, 2016, 12:24:59 AM
Try again.  Read recently that over 50% of IFA employees are now from a catholic / nationalist background.

But not actual nationalists, I suspect.

Is that the same for Catholics that work fir the government here?? Not actually nationalists as why would they work for the British government and still be nationalist?? As far as I see playing for n.i and getting paid and working for n.i is the same surely?
That's like the old loyalist retort "why do you take the Queens shilling"  ::)

In what way? plenty people work in the private sector so it doesn't include them.... working for a government run job  and getting paid to play football for N.I is surely recognising the same state? (that doesn't actually exist)

I'm messing to a certain extent but my point stands..... any nationalist MLA/civil servant that is getting paid recognises that n.i is a country and accepts this colonising that armahnaic has harped on about.. and to that same logic is not a nationalist
I don't accept that, you can take a public sector job, whilst not giving your allegiance to the NI state and that doesn't make you any less nationalist. like wise you can accept that you aren't going to make the ROI team and play for NI and still hold nationalist views. They aren't mutually exclusive. I accept that the 6 counties/NI are currently under British jurisdiction, I don't like it but it is fact, that doesn't mean to say that I have to recognise it as a country which it patently isn't. It is a region of the UK and part of Ireland under British rule.

As for not getting on ROI team, with their current rankings compared to n.i rankings, as a career choice it would be suicidal to play for the ROI team? You don't need to fight armaghnaics battles ffs.... He's a clever boy, he can do that on his own
You misunderstand, I'm actually agreeing with you.

AZOffaly

Quote from: T Fearon on June 09, 2016, 10:00:46 AM
The team is called N Ireland a part of the UK,whose constitutional status was endorsed in referendum as exhorted by SF and SDLP in the North,and by o ver 90% of those who voted in the South.In otherwords nationalists North and South agree NI should exist and be governed by the Uk
.... until such time as a majority in both jurisdictions decide they want a united Ireland.

That's a pretty important clause wouldn't you say?