Figuring out who is catholic on the NI soccer panel

Started by seafoid, May 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on June 08, 2016, 12:38:01 AM
Quote from: michaelg on June 08, 2016, 12:24:59 AM
Try again.  Read recently that over 50% of IFA employees are now from a catholic / nationalist background.

But not actual nationalists, I suspect.

Is that the same for Catholics that work fir the government here?? Not actually nationalists as why would they work for the British government and still be nationalist?? As far as I see playing for n.i and getting paid and working for n.i is the same surely?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

LeoMc

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on June 08, 2016, 07:14:13 AM
This article in the newsletter kind of sums up the logic.

WHY CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG (under our terms and conditions)

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/call-for-ulster-banner-to-be-hoisted-above-stormont-1-7419596

There must be something in the water in Poyntzpass.

T Fearon

Agreed! Second year of a degree course aged 43!

imtommygunn

BennyCake

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on June 08, 2016, 07:14:13 AM
This article in the newsletter kind of sums up the logic.

WHY CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG (under our terms and conditions)

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/call-for-ulster-banner-to-be-hoisted-above-stormont-1-7419596

Once I seen 'Christian' I stopped reading.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 07, 2016, 10:27:57 AM
Quote from: michaelg on June 06, 2016, 07:37:21 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 06, 2016, 02:24:22 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on May 27, 2016, 04:06:23 PM
Guys I'm hazarding a guess here but I doubt everyone playing of the Republic of Ireland isn't catholic as its not like when you leave the north you are just surrounded by Catholics...

Me I'll be supporting ROI cause I grew up supporting them and that sure as hell isn't going change now, I have seen progress from NI in terms to the anti catholic thing but plenty more needs to be made.

In saying that I'll also want NI to win their matches, its only England I'm desperate to see lose.
I was speaking recently to a rep from a nationalist/catholic soccer team who told me that whilst on the face of it the IFA are promoting an end to sectarianism, in reality a lot of attitudes on the ground still haven't changed. I personally have no affinity with NI teams in any sport and can't comprehend why any nationalist would play for them but to each his own. If people want to play and support these teams who am I to tell them not to. In any case it gives me two teams to want to see bate in the Euros.
Aye, who do they think they are, coming into nationalist areas, running summer schemes and coaching courses for young people, helping to keep them busy, out of trouble etc.
Granted they do that but he was talking about the attitudes to catholic/nationalists from individuals within the wider IFA/soccer scene.
Try again.  Read recently that over 50% of IFA employees are now from a catholic / nationalist background.
I only reiterated a comment made to me by someone working within IFA structures, I personally have little or no interest in soccer at this level and as I have expressed before choose not to support teams organised on a partionist basis as is my right.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 08, 2016, 08:09:58 AM

Is that the same for Catholics that work fir the government here?? Not actually nationalists as why would they work for the British government and still be nationalist?? As far as I see playing for n.i and getting paid and working for n.i is the same surely?
People have the right to work and play for who they like and that should be a matter of personal choice. I noticed in the article above the "Ulster Banner" painted all over the team bus, hardly an inclusive symbol. I suspect that some players suck it up for the sake of their career an I don't think anyone should fault them. Government Departments here are no longer replete with union flags and Queen's portraits as they would have been 20 or 30 years ago and if the IFA were serious about inclusivity they would drop the flag and anthem, but for me it matters little as I have no affinity for this contrived "state/country" or what ever other misnomer you want to put on it. I don't think it makes you any less of a nationalist to play for them as I said personal choice. I think Niall Maginn has said in the past he supports the republic, a bit like a Rangers fan playing for Celtic I suppose.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 08, 2016, 11:58:33 AM

People have the right to work and play for who they like and that should be a matter of personal choice. I noticed in the article above the "Ulster Banner" painted all over the team bus, hardly an inclusive symbol. I suspect that some players suck it up for the sake of their career an I don't think anyone should fault them. Government Departments here are no longer replete with union flags and Queen's portraits as they would have been 20 or 30 years ago and if the IFA were serious about inclusivity they would drop the flag and anthem, but for me it matters little as I have no affinity for this contrived "state/country" or what ever other misnomer you want to put on it. I don't think it makes you any less of a nationalist to play for them as I said personal choice. I think Niall Maginn has said in the past he supports the republic, a bit like a Rangers fan playing for Celtic I suppose.

I agree to a lot of that, but the point was made to armaghnaic, (unless he's two names here) on the face of his argument accepting to play for a partitionist state means your not a nationalist.... The same logic would apply to the vast majority of state run jobs in this country and by doing so they are no different to the taigs that play for n.i
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 08, 2016, 12:40:59 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 08, 2016, 11:58:33 AM

I agree to a lot of that, but the point was made to armaghnaic, (unless he's two names here) on the face of his argument accepting to play for a partitionist state means your not a nationalist.... The same logic would apply to the vast majority of state run jobs in this country and by doing so they are no different to the taigs that play for n.i
As I have stated that is not the case imo.

Orior

Some people at my work (in the occupied six) requested that on Friday they are allowed to wear a soccer jersey of any team playing in the Euro finals.

How naive is that?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

OgraAnDun

In a statelet that is so dependent on state jobs, I believe you cannot say that someone is not a nationalist simply because they work for a state run body and depend on that body for their livelihood.

general_lee

That's like the old loyalist retort "why do you take the Queens shilling"  ::)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on June 08, 2016, 02:43:16 PM

In what way? plenty people work in the private sector so it doesn't include them.... working for a government run job  and getting paid to play football for N.I is surely recognising the same state? (that doesn't actually exist)

I'm messing to a certain extent but my point stands..... any nationalist MLA/civil servant that is getting paid recognises that n.i is a country and accepts this colonising that armahnaic has harped on about.. and to that same logic is not a nationalist

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 08, 2016, 03:24:03 PM
Quote from: general_lee on June 08, 2016, 02:43:16 PM

In what way? plenty people work in the private sector so it doesn't include them.... working for a government run job  and getting paid to play football for N.I is surely recognising the same state? (that doesn't actually exist)

I'm messing to a certain extent but my point stands..... any nationalist MLA/civil servant that is getting paid recognises that n.i is a country and accepts this colonising that armahnaic has harped on about.. and to that same logic is not a nationalist
I don't accept that, you can take a public sector job, whilst not giving your allegiance to the NI state and that doesn't make you any less nationalist. like wise you can accept that you aren't going to make the ROI team and play for NI and still hold nationalist views. They aren't mutually exclusive. I accept that the 6 counties/NI are currently under British jurisdiction, I don't like it but it is fact, that doesn't mean to say that I have to recognise it as a country which it patently isn't. It is a region of the UK and part of Ireland under British rule.

Ronnie

I'm supporting Northern Ireland in the Euros.  I consider myself a dedicated GAA member and would aim towards a republic in political arguments.  Are those positions mutually exclusive?