Figuring out who is catholic on the NI soccer panel

Started by seafoid, May 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelg

Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2016, 09:21:25 PM
Quote from: michaelg on June 06, 2016, 09:03:09 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2016, 08:57:59 PM
Quote from: michaelg on June 06, 2016, 08:49:42 PM
Yes, by bringing young catholics and protestants together to play football.

Why should young catholics and protestants in Belcoo be under different arrangements than those in Blacklion?
It's to do with the 'colonisation project', old boy.

Well at least you realise that, even if you lack the moral framework to see anything wrong with it.
Is this your new catchphrase now?  It's getting pretty tired already tbh. 

armaghniac

Quote from: michaelg on June 06, 2016, 09:33:54 PM

Why should young catholics and protestants in Belcoo be under different arrangements than those in Blacklion?

Well at least you realise that, even if you lack the moral framework to see anything wrong with it.

I appreciate that the idea of right and wrong is rather alien to the likes of yourself.
What did you think of the Down / Monaghan game?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

michaelg

Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2016, 09:39:26 PM

I appreciate that the idea of right and wrong is rather alien to the likes of yourself.
Another fairly typical, offensive comment.  This thread is to do with the NI football team, so not sure about the relevance of your question.  If I was going to comment on the Down / Monagham game, I would do so in the appropriate section on this website. You know, in the GAA Discussion section.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: michaelg on June 06, 2016, 09:42:29 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2016, 09:39:26 PM

Another fairly typical, offensive comment.

No way!! He's always right

Down were shite, Monaghan wont know how good they are until next game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 06, 2016, 09:48:19 PM

No way!! He's always right

We'll have to disagree on that one.

Quote]Down were shite, Monaghan wont know how good they are until next game

But can agree on this!

Applesisapples

Quote from: michaelg on June 06, 2016, 07:37:21 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 06, 2016, 02:24:22 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on May 27, 2016, 04:06:23 PM
Guys I'm hazarding a guess here but I doubt everyone playing of the Republic of Ireland isn't catholic as its not like when you leave the north you are just surrounded by Catholics...

Me I'll be supporting ROI cause I grew up supporting them and that sure as hell isn't going change now, I have seen progress from NI in terms to the anti catholic thing but plenty more needs to be made.

In saying that I'll also want NI to win their matches, its only England I'm desperate to see lose.
I was speaking recently to a rep from a nationalist/catholic soccer team who told me that whilst on the face of it the IFA are promoting an end to sectarianism, in reality a lot of attitudes on the ground still haven't changed. I personally have no affinity with NI teams in any sport and can't comprehend why any nationalist would play for them but to each his own. If people want to play and support these teams who am I to tell them not to. In any case it gives me two teams to want to see bate in the Euros.
Aye, who do they think they are, coming into nationalist areas, running summer schemes and coaching courses for young people, helping to keep them busy, out of trouble etc.
Granted they do that but he was talking about the attitudes to catholic/nationalists from individuals within the wider IFA/soccer scene.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on June 03, 2016, 01:48:43 PM
The fallacy up here is that unionists are deluded Irish people.They're not,they're emotionally and in every other way British,the same way as nationalists are emotionally and in every other way "Irish".When both communities open their eyes and see that neither British or Irish govts or people see them as their own kin then both will come together under a new N Irish identity bereft of superfluous divisive British Unionism or Irish nationalism.
You scupper your "NI" identity with the first part of this statement.

T Fearon

Kyle Lafferty injured in training this morning.Might open the door for a catholic player.

JoG2

Quote from: under the bar on June 06, 2016, 09:07:57 PM
Imagine this thread appeared on the OWC board. It would be vilified as sectarian and rightly so.   Brings the GAA board into disrepute and should be deleted.

agreed, this thread is as cringe worthy as the Jamie Clarke thread, fairly embarrassing stuff.

T Fearon

I have Kyle and Steven Davis in my fantasy football team.But the rules oblige entrants to include three NI players

michaelg

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 07, 2016, 10:27:57 AM
Guys I'm hazarding a guess here but I doubt everyone playing of the Republic of Ireland isn't catholic as its not like when you leave the north you are just surrounded by Catholics...

Me I'll be supporting ROI cause I grew up supporting them and that sure as hell isn't going change now, I have seen progress from NI in terms to the anti catholic thing but plenty more needs to be made.

In saying that I'll also want NI to win their matches, its only England I'm desperate to see lose.
I was speaking recently to a rep from a nationalist/catholic soccer team who told me that whilst on the face of it the IFA are promoting an end to sectarianism, in reality a lot of attitudes on the ground still haven't changed. I personally have no affinity with NI teams in any sport and can't comprehend why any nationalist would play for them but to each his own. If people want to play and support these teams who am I to tell them not to. In any case it gives me two teams to want to see bate in the Euros.
Aye, who do they think they are, coming into nationalist areas, running summer schemes and coaching courses for young people, helping to keep them busy, out of trouble etc.
Granted they do that but he was talking about the attitudes to catholic/nationalists from individuals within the wider IFA/soccer scene.
Try again.  Read recently that over 50% of IFA employees are now from a catholic / nationalist background. 

armaghniac

Quote from: michaelg on June 08, 2016, 12:24:59 AM
Try again.  Read recently that over 50% of IFA employees are now from a catholic / nationalist background.

But not actual nationalists, I suspect.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: michaelg on June 08, 2016, 12:24:59 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 07, 2016, 10:27:57 AM

Even more reason to make the changes needed but the blazers dont want to upset the hardcore of crazies

JPGJOHNNYG

This article in the newsletter kind of sums up the logic.

WHY CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG (under our terms and conditions)

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/call-for-ulster-banner-to-be-hoisted-above-stormont-1-7419596