Figuring out who is catholic on the NI soccer panel

Started by seafoid, May 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on June 06, 2016, 12:16:15 PM
Unionists gave us the likes of CS Lewis,Louis Mc Neice and half of US Presidents.
also the rednecks

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: seafoid on June 06, 2016, 04:24:26 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 05, 2016, 09:26:07 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 05, 2016, 09:02:02 PM
I have no problem with the use of flags and anthems in appropriate fashion here,and not in any way triumphalistic.At the end of the day NI is part of the U.K., and SF and SDLP agree this cannot change unless there is majority consent,so the playing of the anthem is technically appropriate given the constitutional position.Having said that it is embarrassing that the same anthem as the England team uses is played,and a greater effort should be made to follow the example of the Scots and Welsh and have a region specific anthem.By the same token the playing of the national anthem may be alienating Protestants from GAA.

Agree with that last point. I think it's better to abandon the anthem if it's going to be butchered like today in Clones. I was always an advocate of flag/anthem at GAA matches, but now I think they are no longer needed, and that's not because it might annoy a few unionists. I just don't see the need for them.

Watched Jake O'Kane and Colin Murphy show other nifht, and they visited Windsor Park for a match. Funny thing happened, I wonder if deliberately, they ended up in wrong stand, had to go find proper seats and ended up missing start of match and anthems. Being two Catholics I assume maybe they deliberately missed the anthem. I mean, stewards wouldnt even allow you into The Hogan if you had a Cusack ticket so I don't understand how that could happen.

Anyway, back to OP - removal of flag/anthem at NI matches is irrelevant as most Catholics aren't interested in supporting them. Same with Protestants and The GAA.
At discos in the 80s I remember they'd play Amhrá n na bhFiann to wrap things up and I always thought it was nuts.
I don't mind it at matches. It gets the crowd going.
The South has very few flags compared to OWC. Driving around NI from Dundalk say the first butchers aprons are very striking. They always strike me as part of a very dysfunctional conversation. A zero sum game.

no sure if it still happens, but this was a regular occurrence in Monaghan nightclubs in the late 90s/early 00's
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

seafoid

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 06, 2016, 02:59:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 06, 2016, 04:24:26 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 05, 2016, 09:26:07 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 05, 2016, 09:02:02 PM
I have no problem with the use of flags and anthems in appropriate fashion here,and not in any way triumphalistic.At the end of the day NI is part of the U.K., and SF and SDLP agree this cannot change unless there is majority consent,so the playing of the anthem is technically appropriate given the constitutional position.Having said that it is embarrassing that the same anthem as the England team uses is played,and a greater effort should be made to follow the example of the Scots and Welsh and have a region specific anthem.By the same token the playing of the national anthem may be alienating Protestants from GAA.

Agree with that last point. I think it's better to abandon the anthem if it's going to be butchered like today in Clones. I was always an advocate of flag/anthem at GAA matches, but now I think they are no longer needed, and that's not because it might annoy a few unionists. I just don't see the need for them.

Watched Jake O'Kane and Colin Murphy show other nifht, and they visited Windsor Park for a match. Funny thing happened, I wonder if deliberately, they ended up in wrong stand, had to go find proper seats and ended up missing start of match and anthems. Being two Catholics I assume maybe they deliberately missed the anthem. I mean, stewards wouldnt even allow you into The Hogan if you had a Cusack ticket so I don't understand how that could happen.

Anyway, back to OP - removal of flag/anthem at NI matches is irrelevant as most Catholics aren't interested in supporting them. Same with Protestants and The GAA.
At discos in the 80s I remember they'd play Amhrá n na bhFiann to wrap things up and I always thought it was nuts.
I don't mind it at matches. It gets the crowd going.
The South has very few flags compared to OWC. Driving around NI from Dundalk say the first butchers aprons are very striking. They always strike me as part of a very dysfunctional conversation. A zero sum game.

no sure if it still happens, but this was a regular occurrence in Monaghan nightclubs in the late 90s/early 00's
It went from black betty to Amhrán na bhFiann via the slow set . Something for everyone

michaelg

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 06, 2016, 02:24:22 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on May 27, 2016, 04:06:23 PM
Guys I'm hazarding a guess here but I doubt everyone playing of the Republic of Ireland isn't catholic as its not like when you leave the north you are just surrounded by Catholics...

Me I'll be supporting ROI cause I grew up supporting them and that sure as hell isn't going change now, I have seen progress from NI in terms to the anti catholic thing but plenty more needs to be made.

In saying that I'll also want NI to win their matches, its only England I'm desperate to see lose.
I was speaking recently to a rep from a nationalist/catholic soccer team who told me that whilst on the face of it the IFA are promoting an end to sectarianism, in reality a lot of attitudes on the ground still haven't changed. I personally have no affinity with NI teams in any sport and can't comprehend why any nationalist would play for them but to each his own. If people want to play and support these teams who am I to tell them not to. In any case it gives me two teams to want to see bate in the Euros.
Aye, who do they think they are, coming into nationalist areas, running summer schemes and coaching courses for young people, helping to keep them busy, out of trouble etc.

Milltown Row2

Guys I'm hazarding a guess here but I doubt everyone playing of the Republic of Ireland isn't catholic as its not like when you leave the north you are just surrounded by Catholics...

Me I'll be supporting ROI cause I grew up supporting them and that sure as hell isn't going change now, I have seen progress from NI in terms to the anti catholic thing but plenty more needs to be made.

In saying that I'll also want NI to win their matches, its only England I'm desperate to see lose.
I was speaking recently to a rep from a nationalist/catholic soccer team who told me that whilst on the face of it the IFA are promoting an end to sectarianism, in reality a lot of attitudes on the ground still haven't changed. I personally have no affinity with NI teams in any sport and can't comprehend why any nationalist would play for them but to each his own. If people want to play and support these teams who am I to tell them not to. In any case it gives me two teams to want to see bate in the Euros.

Could apply that logic to people who are civil servants... Working for a non existing country ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: michaelg on June 06, 2016, 07:37:21 PM
Aye, who do they think they are, coming into nationalist areas, running summer schemes and coaching courses for young people, helping to keep them busy, out of trouble etc.

While this may be welcome, they are promoting sporting division, which few sporting bodies in Ireland do, and this bringing of politics into sport is unwelcome.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

red hander

Tokenism

general_lee

Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2016, 08:06:01 PM

While this may be welcome, they are promoting sporting division, which few sporting bodies in Ireland do, and this bringing of politics into sport is unwelcome.
Sure they're just prepping them before they swith over to the A Team ;)

armaghniac

Quote from: general_lee on June 06, 2016, 08:11:58 PM

Sure they're just prepping them before they swith over to the A Team ;)

"I love it when a plan comes together"

ashman

The 26 county soccerball team and the 6 county soccerball team are both partitionist teams.

michaelg

Yes, by bringing young catholics and protestants together to play football.

armaghniac

Quote from: michaelg on June 06, 2016, 08:49:42 PM

Why should young catholics and protestants in Belcoo be under different arrangements than those in Blacklion?

michaelg

Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2016, 08:57:59 PM

Why should young catholics and protestants in Belcoo be under different arrangements than those in Blacklion?
It's to do with the 'colonisation project', old boy.

under the bar

Imagine this thread appeared on the OWC board. It would be vilified as sectarian and rightly so.   Brings the GAA board into disrepute and should be deleted.

armaghniac

Quote from: michaelg on June 06, 2016, 09:03:09 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2016, 08:57:59 PM

It's to do with the 'colonisation project', old boy.

Well at least you realise that, even if you lack the moral framework to see anything wrong with it.