2016 All Ireland U-21 football championship

Started by Captain Obvious, February 22, 2016, 01:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Main Street on April 07, 2016, 12:02:34 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on April 06, 2016, 11:52:53 PM
Maybe Tyrone's wins v Cavan & Donegal took their toll tonight. Both were majorly competitive and Tyrone came from behind in both. Monaghan had the slightly easier passage v the weaker Ulster U-21 counties.
or maybe you just have to accept that Monaghan just have a better team and deserved the title on merit.
Fully accepted. Week done the Farney.

sensethetone

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 06, 2016, 09:42:40 PM
Well done Monaghan. I always think at this level you need to get your better players on the ball, and I never head Brennan mentioned much in the first half and McShane, Burns, nor Kavanagh the whole contest.

Sounds like Monaghan did their homework and out thought Tyrone.

Hopefully they go on and beat Mayo now. It is Mayo isn't it?

Badly worded there. Brennan appeared to be kept much quieter in the second half while the other 3 appeared to be quiet all game.

In fairness to Tyrone I think they'd a few players playing through the pain barrier tonight which is a result of the 'harder' half of the draw. That's the way it goes.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Jeremiah O

Obviously very disappointing from a Tyrone perspective but congratulations to the Monaghan lads and best of luck in the All Ireland series.
Unconquered and unconquerable

Dire Ear

Was at the match with 2 other Ty supporters.  Expecting a tight game , but a Tyrone victory.  Before the game even started we were shaking our heads at Tyrone still warming up ( maybe less than a minute, but this is after a 5 min delayed throw-in) with the ref and Mon waiting.  Thought it was a bit disrespectful of everyone else tbh,  and also that it would work against us re. any 50-50 decisions from the ref.  Ist half proved this in a few instances.  Mon will probably shout about their black card near the end of 1st half, but asking their goalie at start of 2nd, he had no bother with it !  Tyr were far too slow getting into good positions compared to Monaghan,  and their closing down of Tyr kickouts was the winning of the game in my opinion.  Better system, players all on board the plan ,  while Tyr had very little outside McShane , Burns and Brennan.  Shocking misses in last 5 from Tyrone especially, some players will have big regrets at their choices.  Good luck to Monaghan, great team ethic , strong players in the tackle and smart on the sidelines.  PS Brennan's point in the first half from the sideline was as good as I've ever seen.

redhandefender

Quote from: Dire Ear on April 07, 2016, 09:26:29 AM
Was at the match with 2 other Ty supporters.  Expecting a tight game , but a Tyrone victory.  Before the game even started we were shaking our heads at Tyrone still warming up ( maybe less than a minute, but this is after a 5 min delayed throw-in) with the ref and Mon waiting.  Thought it was a bit disrespectful of everyone else tbh,  and also that it would work against us re. any 50-50 decisions from the ref.  Ist half proved this in a few instances.  Mon will probably shout about their black card near the end of 1st half, but asking their goalie at start of 2nd, he had no bother with it !  Tyr were far too slow getting into good positions compared to Monaghan,  and their closing down of Tyr kickouts was the winning of the game in my opinion.  Better system, players all on board the plan ,  while Tyr had very little outside McShane , Burns and Brennan.  Shocking misses in last 5 from Tyrone especially, some players will have big regrets at their choices.  Good luck to Monaghan, great team ethic , strong players in the tackle and smart on the sidelines.  PS Brennan's point in the first half from the sideline was as good as I've ever seen.

You were shaking your head for less than a minute?? must not have been too bad then.

At least we can weigh in behind Dinky Mc Bride now, another tyrone man doing well outside the county!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: TF15 on April 06, 2016, 11:13:35 PM
Better team won. As I said before the competition started this Tyrone side hadn't near the class of last year and Ulster was the best that could be hoped for.

Agree with Tyronemans observations.
- Short kick outs on a night like that puts corner backs under tremendous pressure and clearly was costing Tyrone scores time and again. The inability to deviate from this plan I thought showed  the rigidity in the system Tyrone play.
- McShane looked out on his feet, was a really disappointing performance by him.
- Lee Brennan is all class and a future star but the 45s in the second half could maybe have been worked better.
-Young McKiernan could be a fine prospect. For 18 the lad impressed me.
- Ref made one major decision calling an over carrying on a Tyrone defender when he was pushed in the back clearly. Free put Monaghan 3 up and gave them the necessary breathing room.

Hope Monaghan win the AI now, best of luck lads!

What club is he?

anyone have the full team/panel from last night?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

The Bearded One

Team from last night:
S Fox - Killyclogher
C McCann - Fintona
M McKernan - Coalisland
S Hamill - Donaghmore
C Byrne - Eglish
F Burns - Pomeroy
M O'Neill - Ardboe
C McShane - Owen Roes
R Loughran - Carrickmore
M Flanagan - Omagh
M Kavanagh - Errigal
DD Mulgrew - Ardboe
L Brennan - Trillick
R Coleman - Moy
S Fox - Greencastle

Subs used: D Gallagher - Trillick, R McGlone - Aghaloo, S O'Donnell - Trillick, B McDonnell - Errigal
It is what it is. Presumably.

Main Street

Quote from: Dire Ear on April 07, 2016, 09:26:29 AM
Was at the match with 2 other Ty supporters.  Expecting a tight game , but a Tyrone victory.  Before the game even started we were shaking our heads at Tyrone still warming up ( maybe less than a minute, but this is after a 5 min delayed throw-in) with the ref and Mon waiting.  Thought it was a bit disrespectful of everyone else tbh,  and also that it would work against us re. any 50-50 decisions from the ref.  Ist half proved this in a few instances.  Mon will probably shout about their black card near the end of 1st half, but asking their goalie at start of 2nd, he had no bother with it ! Tyr were far too slow getting into good positions compared to Monaghan,  and their closing down of Tyr kickouts was the winning of the game in my opinion.  Better system, players all on board the plan ,  while Tyr had very little outside McShane , Burns and Brennan.  Shocking misses in last 5 from Tyrone especially, some players will have big regrets at their choices.  Good luck to Monaghan, great team ethic , strong players in the tackle and smart on the sidelines.  PS Brennan's point in the first half from the sideline was as good as I've ever seen.
The black carded player in question was the captain, therefore it was an issue for the team to quickly reorganise and deal with the Tyrone danger man.

Fuzzman

Congrats Monaghan and hope you go on to win it.
Didn't realise Dinky was managing them. Interesting they have a Tyrone man as their u21 manager and a Fermanagh man as their senior manager and seem to be winning things with them.

At least we'll be out of the media hype now for a while.  ;)

Unlaoised

Well done to monaghan a bit of a shook to say the least but I suppose they did win the minor crown so would not have feared Tyrone like senior Monaghan teams do.

Hard to see past the Dubs however who seem to have such a strong panel
LAOIS ABÚ

Schkite

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 07, 2016, 11:07:17 AM
Congrats Monaghan and hope you go on to win it.
Didn't realise Dinky was managing them. Interesting they have a Tyrone man as their u21 manager and a Fermanagh man as their senior manager and seem to be winning things with them.

At least we'll be out of the media hype now for a while.  ;)

Malachy and McBride are definitely doing a great job but as McBride said last night, there's been a huge amount of work done at schools level and with the development squads over the last ten years or so. So everyone involved at those levels deserve alot of credit too.

Most players 25/26 and under would have come through the development squads since a focus was put on them, and there'd be a good chunk of the senior team now in that age bracket.

GaelTheGael

Quote from: The Bearded One on April 07, 2016, 10:46:26 AM
Team from last night:
S Fox - Killyclogher
C McCann - Fintona
M McKernan - Coalisland
S Hamill - Donaghmore
C Byrne - Eglish
F Burns - Pomeroy
M O'Neill - Ardboe
C McShane - Owen Roes
R Loughran - Carrickmore
M Flanagan - Omagh
M Kavanagh - Errigal
DD Mulgrew - Ardboe
L Brennan - Trillick
R Coleman - Moy
S Fox - Greencastle

Subs used: D Gallagher - Trillick, R McGlone - Aghaloo, S O'Donnell - Trillick, B McDonnell - Errigal

McKernan (2 Years), O'Neill, Mulgrew (2 Years), Brennan, Colman (2 Years) all still available next year along with plenty of the unused subs - Peter Teague, Padraig McGirr, Eoghain Murray; and those not part of the 24 - James Darcy, Johnny Harkin.
So a good foundation of a team to work on for next year.

From the Bunker

Well done to Monaghan. Also well done to our Tyrone posters for being magnanimous in defeat. They (Tyronies) are not all that bad you know!  :P

skeog

fergal logan showed declan bonner how to behave in defeat