2016 All Ireland U-21 football championship

Started by Captain Obvious, February 22, 2016, 01:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 07, 2016, 08:20:02 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 06, 2016, 09:42:40 PM
Well done Monaghan. I always think at this level you need to get your better players on the ball, and I never head Brennan mentioned much in the first half and McShane, Burns, nor Kavanagh the whole contest.

Sounds like Monaghan did their homework and out thought Tyrone.

Hopefully they go on and beat Mayo now. It is Mayo isn't it?

Badly worded there. Brennan appeared to be kept much quieter in the second half while the other 3 appeared to be quiet all game.

In fairness to Tyrone I think they'd a few players playing through the pain barrier tonight which is a result of the 'harder' half of the draw. That's the way it goes.

Perhaps the protracted warm-up (Tyrone Haka?) even after the 5 min delay took its toll?

upmonaghansayswe

Super result for Monaghan last night. A real joy to witness!

I thought the first half somewhat mirrored the start of last weeks game. Well mostly, Armagh didn't do a mini Haka beforehand... Tyrone looked that bit more fluid up front with some fine scores while Monaghan seemed to be hanging on a small bit, not helped by some poor shooting. Brennan and Fox (who should have been booked early on for his efforts at tailing Ryan for every Monaghan attack) looked very sharp and had they have been kept in the game in the second half Tyrone would have been hard stopped. The sideline kick was crazy against a wind that didn't know what way it was blowing. But credit to Monaghan they kept going and went in just one down. The first 15min of the second half won that game. Tackles, turnovers and improved shooting with McCarthy really getting into it, turned the game around and albeit with a bit of clinging on at the end, Monaghan were worthy winners. The free from Meegans pressure off Tyrone's kickout was a real lift for the team. I thought Forde in goal had a shout for MoM. Some inch perfect kickouts in the first half as well as the double save. He seems well capable of playing senior in the years to come.

It was great to see some of the senior panel players playing against their peers as well. People are quick with the 'what's all the fuss about' line when younger fellas are brought on for the seniors, especially with the nature of this year`s league where all games were critical. Watching McGinn, McAnespie, McCarthy as the likes of Ward, Loughran, Meegan performing over the past few games bodes really well for the future as long as they are managed correctly... whatever that means!

Upmonaghansayswe!

Syferus

Quote from: skeog on April 07, 2016, 01:30:02 PM
fergal logan showed declan bonner how to behave in defeat

He also showed no one how to behave during victory the last night too.

trueblue1234

You're the best example of a sore loser on here Syferus.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Rossfan

Well done Monaghan.
Be great if ye could win the thing.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

Quote from: Unlaoised on April 07, 2016, 11:14:43 AM
Well done to monaghan a bit of a shook to say the least but I suppose they did win the minor crown so would not have feared Tyrone like senior Monaghan teams do.

Hard to see past the Dubs however who seem to have such a strong panel
Wouldn't be regarded as a strong Dub panel. A couple of strong players, but were underdogs against Kildare, and on another day they could have beaten us. If Kerry win tonight, I think they'll kick on and win overall. But if Cork win, then its completeley wide open and there for any of the semi finalists to go on and win it.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on April 07, 2016, 03:05:16 PM
Well done Monaghan.
Be great if ye could win the thing.

+1. As long as it's not Kerry or Dublin most will be happy.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Syferus on April 07, 2016, 04:19:04 PM

Same as it ever was.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Syferus

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on April 07, 2016, 06:17:35 PM

Same as it ever was.

In fairness I'd prefer either over Tyrone and their toxicity. Simple fact is the more vibrant the underage is the better the senior grade will be in the years ahead.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on April 07, 2016, 07:35:35 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on April 07, 2016, 06:17:35 PM

Same as it ever was.

In fairness I'd prefer either over Tyrone and their toxicity. Simple fact is the more vibrant the underage is the better the senior grade will be in the years ahead.

At least you'd have to worry about Tyrone winning one, talk of Roscommon doing something at a national level is fantastical stuff.

Zulu

Zulu

Cork 2-4 Kerry 0-4, Cork sound like much the better team.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Zulu on April 07, 2016, 07:49:00 PM
Cork 1-4 Kerry 0-4.
Another Cork goal they sound well in control of this game. Any response from Kerry?