(Spoilers)Making a Murderer - for those who have watched all 10

Started by PadraicHenryPearse, January 04, 2016, 08:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Puckoon on January 19, 2016, 05:56:47 PM
Right. But they really showed nothing damning of Avery, which in my mind made the Judge's sentencing remarks all the more strange.

QuoteIn terms of assessing your danger to society, the evidence forces me to conclude that you are probably the most dangerous individual ever to set foot in this courtroom. Your attorney has argued eloquently that the court should make you eligible for release at some point in the future. But from what I see, nothing in your life suggests that society would ever be safe from your behavior. One of the things that strikes me the most is that as you've grown older, your crimes have increased in severity. This crime was committed at a time when you were 43 years old. Given the trend of your crimes, uh... society has a legitimate right to be concerned that there is a serious risk you would reoffend and commit serious offenses if you're ever permitted to be released from prison."

I saw nothing in the documentary that warrants such commentary, which leads me to believe that there was some picking and choosing to tell the story.

Of course there was. But the real implication is the judge bought the prosecution's shoddy case hook line and sinker. The same judges refusing appeals in the Avery and particularly the Dassey case which had gross negligence by his defence shows you how blinded the judges in the area were and probably still are.

Puckoon

I think the real implication is that he based his judgement and sentencing off of more than we were shown, and as such was validated more than we think. It was a different judge for Dassey - and these comments were not attributed to him. I agree that his case should be revisited.

FL/MAYO

This is my take on it after watching the 10 episodes.One of the Avery's did it I suspect, not sure if it was Steven though. The cops suspected Steven from the start and tried to do the right thing by calling in the outside police department to investigate. They messed up when they lost patience with the outside agency and planted the car keys thus compromising the investigation. There's a good chance all parties involved are guilty of some type of wrong doing, one of the Avery's for murder and the Police for trying to set up Steven.
Dassey the poor kid needs to get a new trial.
NPR had a good piece this morning about the show
http://onpoint.wbur.org/2016/01/19/making-a-murderer-true-crime-documentary

ballinaman

The ex boyfriend guessing her voicemail password and having access to it seemed very dodge. Especially allied with the recount of her getting pestering calls prior to her disappearance.

ThroughTheLaces

Just finished it myself last night and although the documentary did seem to have an obvious bias, its very hard to argue with one major fact: There was no blood.

The Averys and Dasseys don't seem to be the most intelligent people, so to believe there was such a gruesome massacre of a body both within the house and the garage, without one single drop of blood, or indeed any DNA (including not on her key), being committed, is ridiculous.

Carpeted rooms, hundreds of items in the garage, yet nothing.  It really doesn't add up.

To also be able to go on tv and describe in detail what 'happened' is scandalous, it was like something out of a horror film, which of course was their aim.

There's a lot that stinks about this case.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

Smokin Joe

I see that reddit crowdsourced and raised a few thousand dollars to get all the transcripts of the entire Court Case (they've been uploaded).

Out of these transcripts it appears that Kratz produced the Call List to / from Teresa Hallbach's cell phone that was submitted as evidence!! It wasn't produced by the phone company, Kratz summarised the phone records (just showing certain calls) and apparently there were mistakes (incorrect timings) in his summary!!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/MakingaMurderer/comments/41srqs/kratz_prepared_the_phone_record_summaries_not_the/

stew

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

GJL

Quote from: stew on January 21, 2016, 12:44:12 PM
He, Avery is as innocent as OJ.

He may well be Stew but it is his right to have a proper court and fair trial to determine it.

stew

Quote from: GJL on January 21, 2016, 04:42:51 PM
Quote from: stew on January 21, 2016, 12:44:12 PM
He, Avery is as innocent as OJ.

He may well be Stew but it is his right to have a proper court and fair trial to determine it.

Absolutely.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ThroughTheLaces

Stew, I am forming my opinion from the documentary, which has obvious bias towards Avery, which I can acknowledge, likewise you are forming yours from what you know of him. Simply dealing with the cold hard facts of the case you can't categorically state 'he is guilty'.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

OakLeaf

Not sure if this was posted before, but an interesting theory.

http://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/could-this-making-a-murderer-theory-really-explain-the-whole-sorry-mess/527651

It certainly raises the question as to why the remains were found in three different sites.

MoChara

Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on January 21, 2016, 12:24:02 AM
Just finished it myself last night and although the documentary did seem to have an obvious bias, its very hard to argue with one major fact: There was no blood.

The Averys and Dasseys don't seem to be the most intelligent people, so to believe there was such a gruesome massacre of a body both within the house and the garage, without one single drop of blood, or indeed any DNA (including not on her key), being committed, is ridiculous.

Carpeted rooms, hundreds of items in the garage, yet nothing.  It really doesn't add up.

To also be able to go on tv and describe in detail what 'happened' is scandalous, it was like something out of a horror film, which of course was their aim.

There's a lot that stinks about this case.

It was their perceived lack of intelligence though I felt lent credibility to the fact there was evidence hid all around like parking the car down their own yard and not fully disposing of possible evidence like the bones.

Like pretty much everyone else on here I'm not convinced of Averys guilt but I am of the Police interfering.

Maybe I misunderstood but the time they found the bullet in the garage did they also find 10 or 11 empty shells?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: OakLeaf on January 22, 2016, 08:51:07 AM

http://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/could-this-making-a-murderer-theory-really-explain-the-whole-sorry-mess/527651

It certainly raises the question as to why the remains were found in three different sites.
Its certainly an interesting theory, and as plausible as the one they convicted Avery on.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

gallsman

Quote from: OakLeaf on January 22, 2016, 08:51:07 AM

Speculation like this does nobody any good whatsoever.