[Merged] Religion topic Bishop Eamon reaffirms Catholic teaching & Cinemas refusing to show ad featu

Started by T Fearon, November 07, 2015, 07:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: T Fearon on November 13, 2015, 09:46:23 PM
I could have predicted that joke when I wrote the column.I don't think anyone seriously believes Adam and Eve existed,the tale is allegorical and intended to depict God as the creator of mankind

What paper is it in? Could you post it up in the thread?

Milltown Row2

I could have predicted that joke when I wrote the column.I don't think anyone seriously believes Adam and Eve existed,the tale is allegorical and intended to depict God as the creator of mankind

Could it therefore be a bunch of tales written by scribes to give morals and ultimately there really isn't a creator and you've been had?? Or do you just take what suits you and keep saying, that parts not real but this is??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2015, 06:08:26 PM

Could it therefore be a bunch of tales written by scribes to give morals and ultimately there really isn't a creator and you've been had?? Or do you just take what suits you and keep saying, that parts not real but this is??

Ai!

Joshua 8:24-26

When the Israelite army finished chasing and killing all the men of Ai in the open fields, they went back and finished off everyone inside. So the entire population of Ai, including men and women, was wiped out that day—12,000 in all. For Joshua kept holding out his spear until everyone who had lived in Ai was completely destroyed.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

The main point of reference should be the Gospels and life of Jesus.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on November 14, 2015, 06:32:00 PM
The main point of reference should be the Gospels and life of Jesus.

Neither the Gospels nor Jesus said this, they spoke constantly about Scripture as they knew it.

Blessed is the word of Tony.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

The Catholic Church and most mainstream churches focus on the life, parables and example of Jesus,hence the Catholic Church describes itself as Apostolic.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on November 14, 2015, 06:43:32 PM
The Catholic Church and most mainstream churches focus on the life, parables and example of Jesus,hence the Catholic Church describes itself as Apostolic.

He spoke constantly of Scripture, why are they ignoring Him?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

They are not ignoring him,they see him as the core message,the Saviour who died for the remission of sins and rose from the dead,and whose salvation is available to all who turn their back on sin

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on November 14, 2015, 06:58:24 PM
They are not ignoring him,they see him as the core message,the Saviour who died for the remission of sins and rose from the dead,and whose salvation is available to all who turn their back on sin

He died for the remission of sins? What does that mean?

Anyway, he preached about the Old Testament and called it The Word of the God. As did all the Rabbis and Arab clerics at the time. And they still do now. Just with different interpretations and emphasis. And they all claim to be right.

Logically, there are two possibilities:

a) There is one correct religion and the rest have got it hopelessly wrong;

or

b) There is no correct religion;

This is for you Tony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFGrQMD6Uqc
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

The core message is shared by all mainstream churches.Jesus is the saviour,belief in him and repentance from sin is necessary for eternal life.Beyond that,does ir matter if Adam and Eve did or didn't exist.Faith is a mystery (otherwise if wouldn't be faith it would be either proven fact or fiction).Thats why I focus on the central message only.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on November 14, 2015, 09:03:06 PM
The core message is shared by all mainstream churches.Jesus is the saviour,belief in him and repentance from sin is necessary for eternal life.Beyond that,does ir matter if Adam and Eve did or didn't exist.Faith is a mystery (otherwise if wouldn't be faith it would be either proven fact or fiction).Thats why I focus on the central message only.

Jesus believed they did.

Was He wrong?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on November 14, 2015, 09:08:30 PM
How do you know Jesus believed that literally?

I don't. But you do.

Here is Matthew's Gospel, quoting Jesus, who is quoting the Old Testament and calling it 'what God said to you':

Matthew 22:31

31 But about the resurrection of the dead--have you not read what God said to you, 32 'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob' ? He is not the God of the dead but of the living." 33 When the crowds heard this, they were astonished at his teaching. 34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

God of the Prophets? What's wrong with that? Parts of the OT are allegorical while other parts (Moses etc) are real.The message remains unadulterated,the prediction of the coming of the Saviour