[Merged] Religion topic Bishop Eamon reaffirms Catholic teaching & Cinemas refusing to show ad featu

Started by T Fearon, November 07, 2015, 07:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on November 11, 2015, 09:13:50 PM
OmaghJoe,there is sufficient evidence in Scripture (the only basis for belief) and it's the strict teaching of every mainstream Christian Church that homosexuality is sinful.You cannot be subjective about these things or adopt an a la Carte approach,you are either Christian or you are not.Its as simple as that.

Should someone be put to death for calling his father a fool? If someone hits his da should he "surely be put to death?"

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on November 11, 2015, 11:27:38 PM
The keeping Holy on the Sabbath is open to interpretation.It is possible to keep Holy while relaxing and resting in a Hotel or chilling out watching professional sport.No contradiction there at all.
But you're "facilitating" the sin of those who ARE working. It's a bit like your B&B scenario.

Maguire01

T Fearon

I am not facilitating sin.Keeping Holy could mean simply going to Mass.You could stay Holy and work at the same time.

I repeat that the core message of the Church has not changed over 2000 years.The Wedding at Canaan,where Jesus turned water into wine,was a union between a man and a woman.I guess that's the only type of marriage blessed and approved by God,judging by this example.

Rois

Quote from: T Fearon on November 12, 2015, 06:58:51 AM
I am not facilitating sin.Keeping Holy could mean simply going to Mass.You could stay Holy and work at the same time.

You're being a bit blase about this commandment. There was no such thing as mass in Moses's time, so that can't be how God intended it to be interpreted. In Exodus 20 (where you'll find the commandments), the wording says that neither you, not your servants, not anyone in your village, should work on the Sabbath. By paying for services of people who choose to work, you are therefore condoning their choice.

omaghjoe

Tony, you keep phrasing your posts like you are trying to find some sort of route to acceptance of gays. I earnestly offered you a theological route out of the struggle you are having with this.
But you pretty much ignored it and resorted to the old tired and tested fire and brimstone "in the bible" melarkey. Its your struggle Tony....

Everything you want is in bible, including a whole ream of contradictions, so it needs some level of interpretation. And the bible is not the basis of all belief in the Catholic church, that's just not true. Catholic faith and doctrine is based on a mixture of scripture, intuition, theology, and tradition.

If you where comfortable with how you view point why do you need to proclaim it over and over again from different directions. You either have to accept homosexuality or be at peace with your position.

BTW I admire your endurance against the relay team, Rios is now the latest to take up the baton, but the problem is your running about 5 races at once, seems kinda pointless the whole exercise, unless you get some kinda weird thrill out of it....? If you do fair play.

I also must admit myself to laughing out loud at some of your posts, half the time at you, half the time with you, the one about Sodom and Gomorah was particularly funny. Your fallacies are also good craic but I think the half of them are deliberate wha?

Milltown Row2

Whatever objection or point put to Tony that contradicts his devoutness to Catholicism he says its open to interpretation..... That's his get out right there..

Its people like him that has the church losing so many parishioners.... 30 years ago the church was filled at least 4/5 times on the Sunday.... Now? Well they'd struggle to get two. What's it going to be like in another 30?

They have changed so much of their view points over the last 30 years.... They will change it on Gay marriage also, what church will Tony belong to then??

But he's fecked up his own path to heaven by breaking so many of the 'rules' sex before marriage working Sabbaths.... Credit cards.... And of course the worse one name dropping!!

Good luck Tony.... You've managed to be the most annoying poster on the board, you've finally achieved greatness
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

omaghjoe

Quote from: Nihilist on November 11, 2015, 11:41:32 PM
A lot of what the Church is based upon is and has been written by re-written over and over. There has been loads of flip flops over the centuries on Roman Catholic and I assume other Christian teachings. Google it to find the obvious ones. Plus they exercise massive control over the material that all this is actually based upon. 

So what does that say about the Roman Catholic church for instance as they hold the most material in my opinion. And more importantly what doe it say about God in general?

Well I think anyone can still say/claim that God is infallible and always will be.

But does it also mean that the Church is infallible or not? It's clear from history that it is not. And this raises the larger problem then as to how much guidance and how accurate this guidance is in a World where people of all walks of life are clamouring for greater equality.

This is a good point, the church is not perfect, as ultimately it is only a media through which the word of God passes, its through this media that the message gets scrambled or distorted.  The scandals of the the last two decades have highlighted its failings and also as you say the teachings and emphasis have evolved over time, however at the same time they have for the most part remarkably stayed similar as to what they have always been.

So they have been wrong in the past with indulgences and limbo and the like but it does not mean they are usually wrong or will be usually wrong in the future. Is there any other institution in a position to be our moral compass? Virtually everything else around these days base motivation is money. The media by default is becoming the moral compass for secular society over the past few decades and is thus a dangerous monster that instills outrage and anger in the population that can be seemingly turned on and off at will.

I believe that working with and in the church is still the best way forward for me as an individual and society as a whole. And that means asking the hard questions of the church until we get good solutions for our personal and societal problems. And when I say the church I dont necessarily mean the Curia, the church is its congregation, we should ask questions of the lay members and the clergy and try to move forward as one.

T Fearon

I take issue with Rois.An activity that is non sinful 6 days a week cannot be sinful on the 7th.

The Bible is open to interpretation,thats why we have so many different Churches,but on the issue in question,homosexuality it is clear and unambiguous and all Churches are in unison on this issue.

screenexile

Quote from: T Fearon on November 12, 2015, 10:18:19 AM
I take issue with Rois.An activity that is non sinful 6 days a week cannot be sinful on the 7th.

The Bible is open to interpretation,thats why we have so many different Churches,but on the issue in question,homosexuality it is clear and unambiguous and all Churches are in unison on this issue.

Incorrect!!!

http://www.gaychurch.org/

T Fearon

Sorry all mainstream Churches are in unison on subject of homosexuality

Applesisapples

OmaghJoe,there is sufficient evidence in Scripture (the only basis for belief) and it's the strict teaching of every mainstream Christian Church that homosexuality is sinful.You cannot be subjective about these things or adopt an a la Carte approach,you are either Christian or you are not.Its as simple as that.

On my previous points I should have qualified by saying that the gay community is no longer a persecuted minority,I can't think of any other concept in my own lifetime that has been decriminalised and elevated to full equal status with age long normal activities/concepts.Also by the way,as the point was raised,the catholic professional and land owning class were never discriminated against,here or anywhere else,it was the working class that bore the brunt of the discrimination.

I don't believe gay people were "born this way" but was making the irrefutable point that logically if they are then so are murderers,paedophiles etc.
Tony you are offensive in the extreme.

screenexile

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 12, 2015, 03:46:59 PM

On my previous points I should have qualified by saying that the gay community is no longer a persecuted minority,I can't think of any other concept in my own lifetime that has been decriminalised and elevated to full equal status with age long normal activities/concepts.Also by the way,as the point was raised,the catholic professional and land owning class were never discriminated against,here or anywhere else,it was the working class that bore the brunt of the discrimination.

I don't believe gay people were "born this way" but was making the irrefutable point that logically if they are then so are murderers,paedophiles etc.
Tony you are offensive in the extreme.

Definitely not homophobic though. . .

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on November 12, 2015, 10:18:19 AM
Ha! Now you want to introduce logic!

T Fearon

There is nothing illogical about faith.Creation is logical,as are births and deaths etc.