Gym

Started by Soup an Samajiz, October 28, 2015, 11:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redzone

Def never heard of window washers by lifting the barbell while doing it. Christ that's bound to be dangerous

Puckoon

20 pull ups in a row is US marine top marks. 25, I wouldn't get near maybe with a band for assistance - given it is mostly a back muscle exercise. The rest is certainly doable, although I'm not throwing a barbell into the window washers - that seems ridiculous.

gallsman

Quote from: Puckoon on November 02, 2015, 08:45:38 PM
20 pull ups in a row is US marine top marks. 25, I wouldn't get near maybe with a band for assistance - given it is mostly a back muscle exercise. The rest is certainly doable, although I'm not throwing a barbell into the window washers - that seems ridiculous.

The marine pull ups are proper ones too, with strict form and no kipping. If you hear CrossFitters taking snout suspiciously high numbers of pullups, raise an eyebrow - the technique used in it is dubious to say the least.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on November 02, 2015, 08:52:53 PM

The marine pull ups are proper ones too, with strict form and no kipping. If you hear CrossFitters taking snout suspiciously high numbers of pullups, raise an eyebrow - the technique used in it is dubious to say the least.

these are proper pull ups

I put up a bar on one of the doors upstairs and just worked my way up to 15/20/25 ..... once you get round to doing them you can get to 25 easy enough
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

smort

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I would consider myself not bad in terms of strength. 25 pull ups in a row is very impressive. I can't get near that without taking a break at 12-14

Mikhailov

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 02, 2015, 09:12:05 PM

I put up a bar on one of the doors upstairs and just worked my way up to 15/20/25 ..... once you get round to doing them you can get to 25 easy enough

MR2 - are u saying you an do 25 proper pulls ups in a row? Don't forget the original post had the 25 as part of a '300' workout although I presume they are done in spurts of 4/5. I think the '300' figures are total per exercise, not all done in 1 go. Maybe I am wrong, but I assumed you could rest but still do the required total for each exercise

gallsman

Yes, you just do all the reps as quickly as you can. Basically a CrossFit workout, but a bit on the extreme side.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mikhailov on November 02, 2015, 09:48:04 PM

MR2 - are u saying you an do 25 proper pulls ups in a row? Don't forget the original post had the 25 as part of a '300' workout although I presume they are done in spurts of 4/5. I think the '300' figures are total per exercise, not all done in 1 go. Maybe I am wrong, but I assumed you could rest but still do the required total for each exercise

Can do 25 to start but if I was doing a set it generally works like this.... 25, 20, 15 and 10... the last 10 feel like you are doing 30!! that would have been my morning workout at home mixed in with sit ups and press ups... Now I just go to the gym in the mornings.. I'm only 11 stone so a lot easier for me with not much weight
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Max Payne

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 02, 2015, 10:07:56 PM
Quote from: Mikhailov on November 02, 2015, 09:48:04 PM

Can do 25 to start but if I was doing a set it generally works like this.... 25, 20, 15 and 10... the last 10 feel like you are doing 30!! that would have been my morning workout at home mixed in with sit ups and press ups... Now I just go to the gym in the mornings.. I'm only 11 stone so a lot easier for me with not much weight

Agree with Milltown. Pull ups are like most other exercises. When they are done and practised regularly it is easy enough to build up. If not done regularly however, they are a nightmare and your sets go way back.

INDIANA

Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on November 02, 2015, 11:18:07 AM
when we started with the weight trainin with the GAA club the manager had put up a workout to test how you were improving, tried it again during last week for the first time in over a year. Test yourself if you want. Think it's widely known as "The 300 workout". Anything sub-20min is good.

25 pull ups
50 deadlifts @ 60kg
50 press-ups
50 window washers @ 60kg (leg raises to the barbell in the bench position)
50 box jumps
50 Dumbbell clean and press @15Kg
25 chin ups

Your club manager is a clown. One of the stupidest programmes I've seen in a long time. Why would anyone do 50 box jumps?

nrico2006

I always classed push-ups and pull-ups in the same bracket, as practice exercises.  If you do them regularly over a period of a few weeks you can easily build up from 4 or 5 to 30.  On the flip side, if you stop doing them you will go back just as quick.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 03, 2015, 08:44:22 AM
I always classed push-ups and pull-ups in the same bracket, as practice exercises.  If you do them regularly over a period of a few weeks you can easily build up from 4 or 5 to 30.  On the flip side, if you stop doing them you will go back just as quick.

very true, was at the gym this morning and only managed 15!! must get the bar back up in the house and get them going again

Soup an Samajiz

For all the controversy surrounding the leg raises there's a link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9xLRBULE-Y

Quote from: INDIANA on November 02, 2015, 10:45:30 PM
Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on November 02, 2015, 11:18:07 AM
when we started with the weight trainin with the GAA club the manager had put up a workout to test how you were improving, tried it again during last week for the first time in over a year. Test yourself if you want. Think it's widely known as "The 300 workout". Anything sub-20min is good.

25 pull ups
50 deadlifts @ 60kg
50 press-ups
50 window washers @ 60kg (leg raises to the barbell in the bench position)
50 box jumps
50 Dumbbell clean and press @15Kg
25 chin ups

Your club manager is a clown. One of the stupidest programmes I've seen in a long time. Why would anyone do 50 box jumps?

It's just used as a stamina exercise, not saying it used to directly enhance explosiveness or anything... your missing the point, the routine isn't used every other night to provide gains, it was a session that we went back to monthly or so to measure progress. 50 box jumps is as valid an exercise to do as squat jumps or the likes. He was no clown I promise ye that!
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 03, 2015, 08:50:15 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 03, 2015, 08:44:22 AM

very true, was at the gym this morning and only managed 15!! must get the bar back up in the house and get them going again

Only 15?? Have you let yourself go a little??  :o :o :P