Gym

Started by Soup an Samajiz, October 28, 2015, 11:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Gyms are what you make them, using it as a place to come in and do a series of weight exercises to build muscle or using the cardio machines to get a level of fitness...

I was always wary of gym's being involved with he club meant I never needed to go to the gym, I wish I had have went when I was playing, have missed out of so much in my view..

I use the gym most days of the week, always changing routines.. its a great place for social interaction also, providing you stay at the same gym... My mix would be at the minute... A hiit class on a Tuesday followed by Balance/fusion class.. Wed would be cardio fitness in the morning before work, would be ten minutes on the stairmaster (which is brutal if you have it around 17) 20 minute run (3 miles) and ten minutes on the rower, after that some stomach drills and a good stretch... then that night would go to the pump class, sooooo many benefits to that class!!!! :P   Thursday would be Pilates, Friday morning a mix of cardio stuff and weights.... Saturday I have a double class  in the morning first thing, if I don't do the park run I go to a cardio blast class, its fecking tough and follow that with pump class... Sunday is a half hour pump class followed by Balance/fusion class... Monday rest!! It may seem a lot but morning work outs save you time away from the house and you have the rest of the day to do what's needed around the house.

Using the class means not using a PT, the PT's that take the classes have a lot of time for you and correct any issues they feel you are doing wrong, plus in a class of 23/24 people there generally is only about 3/4 lads, which is nice ;D 

As said above losing weight is simple, stop eating like a feck pig, cut out the pints and clean up your act... the gym will only tone you and give you fitness, it won't necessary lose you weight... and mix it up... hopefully back doing triathlons this year as was too busy last year, started back swimming again and it has given me new aches and pains!! All good, like I say, I wish I was this fit when I was playing!!

Oh I would never pay for a PT myself but can see the benefits of it if you are unsure of equipment or technique
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

square_ball

Quote from: gallsman on October 29, 2015, 01:59:51 PM
Quote from: square_ball on October 29, 2015, 11:32:43 AM
Quote from: gallsman on October 29, 2015, 10:55:14 AM
Quote from: square_ball on October 29, 2015, 10:48:49 AM
Agree with a lot of what is being said. Diet is definitely key. Get the batch of chicken fillets bought from the butcher and prep your meals every few days as it makes life so much easier. If your working in an office its actually ideal as you can bring in your fruit, nuts & lunches etc and you have no excuses really. Also get the water right as well - 2 or 3 litres a day minimum. Myfitnesspal is a good app to use initially just to understand exactly what you are eating.

As the lads have said getting a good strength based gym programme will do you wonders. I'd suggest something like Crossfit as an excellent form of conditioning even though it gets a bad rap (unjustified in my opinion). This time a year you are wasting your time running on roads and treadmills.

I actually enjoy this time of year when you can get on with your own thing before team training begins again in the new year.

Very justified in my opinion. Anything that encourages people to do power or Olympic lifts as quickly as possible in the name of competition is a no no in my books.

That seems to be the stick that Crossfit gets beat with. People seem to have this notion that every workout involves 50 x snatch and 50 x clean & jerk where the experience that i have had with it couldnt be any different. Those lifts are coached and coached very well might I add. Very rarely are they used in a workout and if they are they are very low reps. For things like squat, deadlift and other lifts you are actually coached as well as placing a high emphasis on flexibility and mobility. As i say in my experience it is an excellent form conditioning and for me I was never fitter when I did it.

Out of interest Gallsman have you tried it before? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying CrossFit is the be all and end all by any means just interested in your views on it if you have tried it?

Yes, I have tried it before and I don't like it for the reasons stated above. Coaching varies wildly - perhaps you've hit the jackpot and had a great coach, but plenty of others haven't. I'm not aure about now, but at least up until last year you could become an accredited CrossFit coach in absolutely no time at all.

Not all WODs have mad numbers of reps on dangerous lifts, but plenty of them do and the (encouraged) competitive aspect of it (trying to do things as quickly as possible, or establish a max within a time limit) risks people not preparing properly for lifts and consequently risking serious injury.

On top of all that, it's an absolute f**king rip off.

Fair points - I do agree on the high reps/for time etc. it is a recipe for disaster when technique starts to go when fatigue sets in.

In terms of cost I would argue it doesn't really cost that much more than a gym membership (again maybe just my experience) and comparing it to PTs (also takes no time to get that piece of paper) who charge upwards £30 for an hours session then its value for my money in my book

We'll agree to disagree anyway on it. As i said previously it's whatever people enjoy doing and what works best for themselves.

Soup an Samajiz

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 29, 2015, 02:27:02 PM
Gyms are what you make them, using it as a place to come in and do a series of weight exercises to build muscle or using the cardio machines to get a level of fitness...

I was always wary of gym's being involved with he club meant I never needed to go to the gym, I wish I had have went when I was playing, have missed out of so much in my view..

I use the gym most days of the week, always changing routines.. its a great place for social interaction also, providing you stay at the same gym... My mix would be at the minute... A hiit class on a Tuesday followed by Balance/fusion class.. Wed would be cardio fitness in the morning before work, would be ten minutes on the stairmaster (which is brutal if you have it around 17) 20 minute run (3 miles) and ten minutes on the rower, after that some stomach drills and a good stretch... then that night would go to the pump class, sooooo many benefits to that class!!!! :P   Thursday would be Pilates, Friday morning a mix of cardio stuff and weights.... Saturday I have a double class  in the morning first thing, if I don't do the park run I go to a cardio blast class, its fecking tough and follow that with pump class... Sunday is a half hour pump class followed by Balance/fusion class... Monday rest!! It may seem a lot but morning work outs save you time away from the house and you have the rest of the day to do what's needed around the house.

Using the class means not using a PT, the PT's that take the classes have a lot of time for you and correct any issues they feel you are doing wrong, plus in a class of 23/24 people there generally is only about 3/4 lads, which is nice ;D 

As said above losing weight is simple, stop eating like a feck pig, cut out the pints and clean up your act... the gym will only tone you and give you fitness, it won't necessary lose you weight... and mix it up... hopefully back doing triathlons this year as was too busy last year, started back swimming again and it has given me new aches and pains!! All good, like I say, I wish I was this fit when I was playing!!

Oh I would never pay for a PT myself but can see the benefits of it if you are unsure of equipment or technique

Qwer goin that anyway, recently started morning sessions before work, still doin as many evenin workouts as I would have been before, feeling all the better for it.
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people

themac_23

all this and still getting the div 4 games MR2, yo must be the fittest man on the pitch lol.

Seriously though thats some going, prob more to do with getting into the routine i suppose. Ive the bag packed to head to the gym this evening gonna give the HIIT a blast

JoG2

good man themac. Roll on the 'happy pain' !

Milltown Row2

Quote from: themac_23 on October 29, 2015, 03:52:54 PM

all this and still getting the div 4 games MR2, yo must be the fittest man on the pitch lol.

Seriously though thats some going, prob more to do with getting into the routine i suppose. Ive the bag packed to head to the gym this evening gonna give the HIIT a blast

Haha.... Enjoy the HIIT class.... Don't be holding back lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Soup an Samajiz

Slept in this morning, bit late for the gym before work in the city.. ended up literally just walking in and getting showered and ready for work. Looked the part walking out with the gym bag and the women coming in though.. see, every little helps

illdecide

U lot are just perving at the gyms...i'd never do that. There was a woman in the kettle bell class on Wed nite in front of me wearing loose running shorts that finished mm below her bum cheeks. The instructor (at my request, he's my mate) got us at the end of the class to balance on one leg and slowly bend forward with the free leg going 90 degrees to your standing leg whilst holding the kettle bell by your standing leg. The sight in front of me was interesting to say the least...Flange hanging out like a busted guddie
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

stew

Quote from: illdecide on October 30, 2015, 03:32:08 PM
U lot are just perving at the gyms...i'd never do that. There was a woman in the kettle bell class on Wed nite in front of me wearing loose running shorts that finished mm below her bum cheeks. The instructor (at my request, he's my mate) got us at the end of the class to balance on one leg and slowly bend forward with the free leg going 90 degrees to your standing leg whilst holding the kettle bell by your standing leg. The sight in front of me was interesting to say the least...Flange hanging out like a busted guddie

Brilliant description you pervy bastard, love it.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

gallsman

That didn't really happen though, did it?

illdecide

Quote from: gallsman on October 30, 2015, 06:16:11 PM

Ok i sort of exaggerated it a bit but it did happen, didn't see the full blurt but got a view of the lumps & bumps :D...Reading back it sounds like im a creep but it wasn't my fault that a lovely looking girl decides to wear running shorts up to her bum cheeks to do kettle bells. Def be back this wed nite ;)

Hereiam

Rule no 1 illdecide  ;D

illdecide

Quote from: Hereiam on November 02, 2015, 10:59:36 AM
Rule no 1 illdecide  ;D

aye right...don't fancy jail at this stage of my perving career

JoG2

Quote from: illdecide on November 02, 2015, 10:47:05 AM
Quote from: gallsman on October 30, 2015, 06:16:11 PM

Ok i sort of exaggerated it a bit but it did happen, didn't see the full blurt but got a view of the lumps & bumps :D...Reading back it sounds like im a creep but it wasn't my fault that a lovely looking girl decides to wear running shorts up to her bum cheeks to do kettle bells. Def be back this wed nite ;)

I'll tell you what, when you're in a class with ladies about, you don't half up your game !

Not a peep from themac since his first session ! 

Soup an Samajiz

when we started with the weight trainin with the GAA club the manager had put up a workout to test how you were improving, tried it again during last week for the first time in over a year. Test yourself if you want. Think it's widely known as "The 300 workout". Anything sub-20min is good.

25 pull ups
50 deadlifts @ 60kg
50 press-ups
50 window washers @ 60kg (leg raises to the barbell in the bench position)
50 box jumps
50 Dumbbell clean and press @15Kg
25 chin ups