Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 14, 2015, 06:26:38 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 14, 2015, 03:54:37 PM
Quote from: moysider on November 14, 2015, 03:48:09 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 14, 2015, 03:20:00 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on November 13, 2015, 04:14:21 PM
not made it is a managers choice  not a universal condemnation esp when the manger get the boot shortly after. he scored  4 goals and didnt get picked for about two years . in that awful League game against dublin for the short time he was on looked about the only competitive player mayo had.
My biggerst doubts about him strangely for a such a  big man is his lack of physicality  and   such   being constanly picked at corner forward as a club player  you wonder what do they know we don't

If you are talking about Kirby then his physicality is still developing. He is still only 23 (I think) a young man for to have developed manly strength yet. He'll get there.

I agree. Big lads seem to take longer to mature. There seems to be a bit more about him this year. Himself and Douglas will get a good look-in next spring I reckon.

Ah come on lads. 23-27 is the peak of most IC footballers' careers. I can think of reams of younger lads than Kirby that are more than physical enough for senior. Take a look at Cathal Shine for us (about the same age as Kirby) or Harney who's not even 20 yet. Sure AOS was bursting through defenders when he was barely out of nappies. Sounds a bit like you're making excuses for the lad.

How long were both these players exposed to Senior IC football and the Strength & Conditioning that goes with it before they were 23? It's different for different players. You can be a big lad but it can take time for to get up to speed to the physicality and hits of the modern game.

Cathal had been out for over a year with a serious back injury, only returning for his final U21 season at the AISF stage in April of 2012. He was starting for the seniors by 2013. So very little conditioning and a whole heap of rehab.

I just don't see this thing of it being particularly difficult to make it at senior being a big man over any other size of player. Like Enda Smith is a big tall lad but he's hardly built like a tank and yet he's been great for us the last few years. FOC and Tom Flynn in Galway are similar. Kirby never struck me as a physically weak player either. If anything it's much harder if you're a small nippy lad.

moysider

There's been a bit of a difference in recent years between getting into Roscommon and Galway midfields and trying to compete for a place with the O Sés, Moran, Parsons and Gibbons. Gibbons took a few years to get there, had some fine games and got injured and hasn t got back up to speed since. Hopefully he ll be back to his best for 2016. that would give us a boost.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on November 14, 2015, 08:02:03 PM

There's been a bit of a difference in recent years between getting into Roscommon and Galway midfields and trying to compete for a place with the O Sés, Moran, Parsons and Gibbons. Gibbons took a few years to get there, had some fine games and got injured and hasn t got back up to speed since. Hopefully he ll be back to his best for 2016. that would give us a boost.

Kirby would be unlikely to play at midfield for Mayo though. Ye've been crying out for a FF for years - if he wasn't the answer then why would he be now?

Rossfan

Syfín, would you ever go to Syria and sort out the Middle East and lave the Rhus to their own devices >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on November 14, 2015, 08:44:31 PM

Kirby would be unlikely to play at midfield for Mayo though. Ye've been crying out for a FF for years - if he wasn't the answer then why would he be now?

I've never seen a Roscommon man so secretly in love with Mayo. I've  seen and experienced unrequited love before but this is taking the piss

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on November 14, 2015, 09:44:46 PM
Syfín, would you ever go to Syria and sort out the Middle East and lave the Rhus to their own devices >:(
+101  ;D
Good man Ross, you have a way with words!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Quote from: INDIANA on November 14, 2015, 09:54:45 PM

I've never seen a Roscommon man so secretly in love with Mayo. I've  seen and experienced unrequited love before but this is taking the piss
It's got seriously embarrassing at this stage :-[ :-[ :-[

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on November 14, 2015, 09:54:45 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 14, 2015, 08:44:31 PM

And I've never seen a man so obviously in love with himself.

larryin89

It's obvious he has a gra for all things mayo and sure he's not the first man from outside Mayo to do so. The only difference is he attempts to be all closet about it. I don't agree with all the stick he gets though , he's actually fairly well tuned into Gaelic football matters
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Lar Naparka

Arra, I'd miss him if he ever took the hint and fracked off! ;D
Seriously though, I don't mind any of the Rossies who seem to spend most of their waking time parked on our doorstep.
Maybe they should start up their bus and get to hell out of it as the neighbours are beginning to pass rude comments about their obsession with all things Mayo.
I thought the least they should have done would be to keep their own manager thread open. Doesn't say much about their coincidence in Kevin and Fergie, does it?
Surely one of them could start a thread about Karl Mannion's decision to quit intercoiunty football, citing the workload that is being foisted on players as his reason?
I mean if I had to point out a single sheep stealer with a biteen of gumption, it would have to be Karl by a country mile and yet none of our permanents "guests"  seem to be concerned one way or the other.
What he has to say concerns all of us and if one of my woolly friends doesn't make a move soon and forget about Mayo for a minute, I'll start one up myself.

giveballaghback

I really dont know if syf is a Rossie and a closet rhu or just a rhu in hiding  but I do object to his use of that iconic photo of the late Dermot Earley.

From the Bunker

Quote from: giveballaghback on November 15, 2015, 01:18:35 PM
I really dont know if syf is a Rossie and a closet rhu or just a rhu in hiding  but I do object to his use of that iconic photo of the late Dermot Earley.

Sure Dermot was originally a Rhu. Earley was born in Castlebar, Co Mayo in 1948. He was educated at the local national school and later attended St. Nathy's College in Ballaghaderreen.

Rossfan

Jasus Lar are you stuck in a time warp?
Karoleen packed in the County scene a few years ago ;)

Shrewdness

Good man Lar, keep them coming  ;D

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on November 15, 2015, 03:20:45 PM
Jasus Lar are you stuck in a time warp?
Karoleen packed in the County scene a few years ago ;)
No time warp at all!
Just using the oul' stopwatch to see how long it was going to take you to respond. ;D
I thought it was last year that he resigned but then I don't pay too much attention to anything you uncultured shower gets up to.
I guess you must be getting ould as it was two hours and five minutes before you appeared on the scene. I see Syferus is getting sense, believe it or not, as he didn't rise this time.

Still doesn't take from the act that Mannion raised a serious issue that must be faced up to as it ain't going to go away