Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: larryin89 on November 12, 2015, 06:35:17 PM
I've only seen him play a few times , I just think he's a bit of style to him and worth a run albeit I believe it should of been a couple of years ago by right but no sense in looking back . If I'm honest my obsession with the whole regan should be given a run thing stems from a player that said to a friend of mine " wait till you see Evan regan from Ballina, he is the business and will be a star " about four years ago . I watched him closely after that as much as I could  and I just believe he has the ability to do forward thinking stuff a bit different to what we have and might work will with five of the present lot up front .

It's not a case of " we have a gooch in Mayo that's not been given a fair crack " . Like some of Ye are trying to make out.Just a case of imo he's worth a shot .

we dont know if we have a player yet let alone a Gooch.
Neil douglas and danny Kirby have done far more to be worth a proper look before him
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Syferus

Quote from: rosnarun on November 13, 2015, 11:25:54 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on November 12, 2015, 06:35:17 PM
I've only seen him play a few times , I just think he's a bit of style to him and worth a run albeit I believe it should of been a couple of years ago by right but no sense in looking back . If I'm honest my obsession with the whole regan should be given a run thing stems from a player that said to a friend of mine " wait till you see Evan regan from Ballina, he is the business and will be a star " about four years ago . I watched him closely after that as much as I could  and I just believe he has the ability to do forward thinking stuff a bit different to what we have and might work will with five of the present lot up front .

It's not a case of " we have a gooch in Mayo that's not been given a fair crack " . Like some of Ye are trying to make out.Just a case of imo he's worth a shot .

we dont know if we have a player yet let alone a Gooch.
Neil douglas and danny Kirby have done far more to be worth a proper look before him

Hasn't Kirby been given at least two chances at senior IC and not made it already? What's changed?

Shrewdness

Did Danny Kirby score four goals in a senior match for Mayo one year? Might have been an FBD or NFL game....Or was it Jason Doherty?

rosnarun

not made it is a managers choice  not a universal condemnation esp when the manger get the boot shortly after. he scored  4 goals and didnt get picked for about two years . in that awful League game against dublin for the short time he was on looked about the only competitive player mayo had.
My biggerst doubts about him strangely for a such a  big man is his lack of physicality  and   such   being constanly picked at corner forward as a club player  you wonder what do they know we don't

rosnarun

Quote from: Shrewdness on November 13, 2015, 04:12:27 PM
Did Danny Kirby score four goals in a senior match for Mayo one year? Might have been an FBD or NFL game....Or was it Jason Doherty?

and did it between the 23rd and 27th minutes of the first half . mind you, can you really judge a player for 5 minutes action. would it be hard to drop a player for 5 minutes shit  football

Shrewdness

Thanks Rosnarun. Thought it was Kirby alright. After his heroics against Breaffy, i didn't think Neil Douglas played all that well against Clann.

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on November 13, 2015, 04:39:03 PM
Thanks Rosnarun. Thought it was Kirby alright. After his heroics against Breaffy, i didn't think Neil Douglas played all that well against Clann.

Was a non-factor. Only score was a free. Durcan was the best Castlebar had and Feeney for the first 15 or so minutes but his time is probably gone when he didn't even feature under his own club manager from a couple years ago. I assume Durcan will be a pretty consistent starter for Mayo in 2016 if his foot trouble doesn't limit him. Beyond him it's actually hard to see other Castlebar players being starters and most would be bit players. Even 'Turbo' Tom would have a fight on his hands to start.

Shrewdness

Syferus, does Durcan have a foot problem?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Shrewdness on November 13, 2015, 04:12:27 PM
Correct, 4 goals in an FBD game iirc. Horan never played him for the rest of the year.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: rosnarun on November 13, 2015, 04:14:21 PM
not made it is a managers choice  not a universal condemnation esp when the manger get the boot shortly after. he scored  4 goals and didnt get picked for about two years . in that awful League game against dublin for the short time he was on looked about the only competitive player mayo had.
My biggerst doubts about him strangely for a such a  big man is his lack of physicality  and   such   being constanly picked at corner forward as a club player  you wonder what do they know we don't

a) Barry Moran;
b) Kirby scores a lot of goals;

I don't see many club games but every time I have watched him he seems to get a goal. I think he got 2 against Aughamore and 1 against Breaffy. He got one the last day as well.

Under Holmes Kirby and Moran switched quite a bit. When Moran was sent-off in the Connacht Final against Bridget's 2 years ago, Kirby went to midfield and had a stormer, and got his obligatory goal.
MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

If you are talking about Kirby then his physicality is still developing. He is still only 23 (I think) a young man for to have developed manly strength yet. He'll get there.

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 14, 2015, 03:20:00 PM

If you are talking about Kirby then his physicality is still developing. He is still only 23 (I think) a young man for to have developed manly strength yet. He'll get there.

I agree. Big lads seem to take longer to mature. There seems to be a bit more about him this year. Himself and Douglas will get a good look-in next spring I reckon.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on November 14, 2015, 03:48:09 PM

I agree. Big lads seem to take longer to mature. There seems to be a bit more about him this year. Himself and Douglas will get a good look-in next spring I reckon.

Ah come on lads. 23-27 is the peak of most IC footballers' careers. I can think of reams of younger lads than Kirby that are more than physical enough for senior. Take a look at Cathal Shine for us (about the same age as Kirby) or Harney who's not even 20 yet. Sure AOS was bursting through defenders when he was barely out of nappies. Sounds a bit like you're making excuses for the lad.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on November 14, 2015, 03:54:37 PM
Quote from: moysider on November 14, 2015, 03:48:09 PM

Ah come on lads. 23-27 is the peak of most IC footballers' careers. I can think of reams of younger lads than Kirby that are more than physical enough for senior. Take a look at Cathal Shine for us (about the same age as Kirby) or Harney who's not even 20 yet. Sure AOS was bursting through defenders when he was barely out of nappies. Sounds a bit like you're making excuses for the lad.

How long were both these players exposed to Senior IC football and the Strength & Conditioning that goes with it before they were 23? It's different for different players. You can be a big lad but it can take time for to get up to speed to the physicality and hits of the modern game.