Papal Visit to Ireland

Started by T Fearon, September 28, 2015, 06:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

The people lining up in the comments to wag the finger are the icing in that article.

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on September 29, 2015, 04:13:03 PM
The people lining up in the comments to wag the finger are the icing in that article.

Waterford whispers is brilliant (the only good thing to come out of Waterford apart from my nana!) but the comments section in all their articles are fantastic :)

ziggysego

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 29, 2015, 03:52:56 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on September 29, 2015, 03:42:33 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 29, 2015, 03:12:53 PM
This will go in some way towards replacing the Web Summit which is moving to Lisbon.

I'd not been before, but I was clearing some space to go to that for mywayaccess.com Then I saw the news a few days ago. ffs.

This year's event is still in Dublin AFAIK

Brilliant  8)
Testing Accessibility

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 29, 2015, 04:14:30 PM
Waterford whispers is brilliant (the only good thing to come out of Waterford apart from my nana!) but the comments section in all their articles are fantastic :)

I'll give you credit for not saying 'apart from the N24'.

seafoid

Will there be anyone going to confession in 2018?

J70

He got a rock star reception in the states there last week. Lots of people like this lad, even if not catholic or even religious.  And why not, given his message about the poor and his encyclical on the environment? A breath of fresh air!

T Fearon

The Pope,and Papacy as an institution,is a global phenomenon that will attract crowds wherever he may go,or whoever he is.

J70

No, this was different to previous papal visits. Way more hype and excitement.  That he has embraced a number of liberal causes added to his personal attraction.

thebigfella

Quote from: ziggysego on September 29, 2015, 04:21:25 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 29, 2015, 03:52:56 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on September 29, 2015, 03:42:33 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 29, 2015, 03:12:53 PM
This will go in some way towards replacing the Web Summit which is moving to Lisbon.

I'd not been before, but I was clearing some space to go to that for mywayaccess.com Then I saw the news a few days ago. ffs.

This year's event is still in Dublin AFAIK

Brilliant  8)

Save your money, load of sh1te. It's got way too big and full of hipsters changing the world ;)

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on September 29, 2015, 06:46:59 PM
The Pope,and Papacy as an institution,is a global phenomenon that will attract crowds wherever he may go,or whoever he is.

The institution is fading in Western Europe regardless of the pomp .

Lady Gaga would make a fabulous pope BTW.

lawnseed

A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on September 29, 2015, 08:41:52 PM

Trends in the church rise and fall they are measured over centuries not decades or even lifetimes.

100 years from now there is a fair ole chance people will be swarming to church and historians will discuss about the time in early 20th century when the church became unpopular due to scandals. But the outrage faded when the church cleaned up its act and the disgraces of the church faded to memory and then to history.
Similar perhaps to the reformation and counter reformation era.

thebigfella

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 30, 2015, 06:06:49 AM

Trends in the church rise and fall they are measured over centuries not decades or even lifetimes.

100 years from now there is a fair ole chance people will be swarming to church and historians will discuss about the time in early 20th century when the church became unpopular due to scandals. But the outrage faded when the church cleaned up its act and the disgraces of the church faded to memory and then to history.

Or the higher probability is they will be sneering at the gobshites who were sucked in by these cults.

Don't care if he comes or not; just as long as it doesn't cost the state a fortune. Maybe he'll bring a few 100 wheelbarrows of cash to compensate the victims of church abuse. I'd be making sure revenue are hammering those memorabilia sellers too.

naka

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 29, 2015, 06:50:58 AM
I'd love to see Frank visiting Armagh just to get up the noses of certain planters! I wonder if they'd riot.
thinking that myself

Maguire01

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 30, 2015, 06:06:49 AM

The thing is, it's not within the Church's power to turn this around. The scandals are just one factor, and not even the most significant. The biggest thing is that the world has changed. People are more educated and are questioning what was previously accepted as gospel (pardon the pun). The Church has lost its authority (its actual authority, not just its moral authority) even in countries like Ireland, so its ability to influence society (through schools, hospitals, politicians etc.) is greatly diminished. Just look at how many TDs backed the Yes campaign, in defiance of the Church.

It doesn't matter how much the Church cleans up its act, or how much of a force for good it tries to become. To vast and growing numbers of people, it's an irrelevance. To some it is central to their lives, and will remain so, but there's no going back. The trend is one way.