Papal Visit to Ireland

Started by T Fearon, September 28, 2015, 06:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

We all have our hate figures I suppose....For a certain section of Irish society its the church, another its the Brits, myself?... its mostly Derry.

Both apply their hatred irrelevantly and irrationally.

Hopefully Francis will inspire us to turn that tide.

From the Bunker

Ah it's a bit of fun - Was trying to get Mr Fearon going! In fairness to Casey bar him robbing church funds to fund the raising of his love child he did a lot of good work. Especially for the immigrant community in Britain. He was not all bad, or even bad for that matter. Just let his Mickey get the better of him and the Church funds paid the price.

T Fearon

Bishop Casey experienced moments of human weakness.Of course he should have resigned and become a proper father to his child.

In any event the Pope had proper warm up acts in Phoenix Park (where I was) with the likes of James Galway and the Chieftains.

Eamonnca1

I'd love to see Frank visiting Armagh just to get up the noses of certain planters! I wonder if they'd riot.

T Fearon

I don't foresee any trouble.There will be a handful of free Presbyterian protestors who will be regarded as eccentrics,but the unbridled joy of the masses when a Pope eventually comes to the ecclesiastical capital of Ireland,will be the main story

johnneycool

Quote from: T Fearon on September 29, 2015, 07:10:22 AM
I don't foresee any trouble.There will be a handful of free Presbyterian protestors who will be regarded as eccentrics,but the unbridled joy of the masses when a Pope eventually comes to the ecclesiastical capital of Ireland,will be the main story

Whilst he's in Armagh he could do worse than clout the heads off those bishops and Cardinals who hid the child abuse scandal for so many years.

easytiger95

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 28, 2015, 10:55:36 PM
Ah it's a bit of fun - Was trying to get Mr Fearon going! In fairness to Casey bar him robbing church funds to fund the raising of his love child he did a lot of good work. Especially for the immigrant community in Britain. He was not all bad, or even bad for that matter. Just let his Mickey get the better of him and the Church funds paid the price.

Quote of the year - broke myself laughing when i read that. A1 Bunker  ;D

Denn Forever

Quote from: BennyCake on September 28, 2015, 06:53:42 PM
Will the Pope get to Armagh this time though?

That might make Sean Brady squirm.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Applesisapples

Maybe he could give Geezer some tips. Seriously though as a catholic I don't really care whether he comes or not, a bit like Liz not worth the effort. I have no doubt he is a breath of fresh air but we can judge him on how far into the 20th Century he brings the church...the 21st is still too far.

magpie seanie

I think this Pope is a good man and well intentioned. He actually gets it and lives it. Unfortunately, the damage done to the catholic church in this country and worldwide have (justifiably in my book) turned millions off and they won't get to see that Pope Francis is one of the good guys. What he can do to reform and fix the church remains to be seen and as Stew intimated - he should make sure to have his life assurance well paid up!!!!

ziggysego

I for one am I looking forward to seeing Pope Francis (God willing) in Ireland comes 2018. Whether that be Armagh or in Dublin. The current Pope is a good man, trying to make changes and apologise for the past failings of the Church. He has a long way to go and can't do it himself, but he is planting the seeds for the next Pope too, if he will be of the same thinking as him.
Testing Accessibility

Bord na Mona man

This will go in some way towards replacing the Web Summit which is moving to Lisbon.

ziggysego

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 29, 2015, 03:12:53 PM
This will go in some way towards replacing the Web Summit which is moving to Lisbon.

I'd not been before, but I was clearing some space to go to that for mywayaccess.com Then I saw the news a few days ago. ffs.
Testing Accessibility

macdanger2

Quote from: ziggysego on September 29, 2015, 03:42:33 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 29, 2015, 03:12:53 PM

I'd not been before, but I was clearing some space to go to that for mywayaccess.com Then I saw the news a few days ago. ffs.

This year's event is still in Dublin AFAIK