Papal Visit to Ireland

Started by T Fearon, September 28, 2015, 06:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: T Fearon on September 28, 2015, 08:08:50 PM
Nostalgic for those of us who were there in 1979,and I've seen Popes in Rome on several occasions,being a frequent visitor,but strangely I haven't seen Francis yet.

No doubt a Papal visit would bring the crowds out though perhaps not on the same scale as 1979.

Surely there must be an auld quiz on the back of a Weetabix box that you can enter to get a private meeting?

T Fearon

Yes,but he hasn't entered it yet  ;D

The Iceman

you might be surprised at the amount of young Catholics very much "alive" in their faith. Youth conferences, youth groups and chaplaincies across the North especially have thriving communities.  If you take those and add the older generation who would still go to Mass you'll get a great turnout for a Papal visit. You'll also get faith filled families visiting from all over the world - that's why it's called the World Meeting of Families. We've already talked about being back for it and bringing extended family and friends who always wanted to visit Ireland.
Just because it isn't your cup of tea doesn't mean it isn't someone else's
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

T Fearon

Exactly.One would hope that theophobes and anti Catholics would display mature tolerance to a Papal Visit

BennyCake

Quote from: armaghniac on September 28, 2015, 08:04:11 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 28, 2015, 07:46:58 PM
Considering Ireland is looked upon as a catholic country, why has it taken so long for a Papal visit? I'm sure other countries has had a lot more. Not that I care either way. I'm just saying...

One quarter of one per cent of the world's Catholics live in Ireland, we are not that important!

It's not quantity, but quality  ;)

Oraisteach

Maybe I'm wrong, but Pope Francis is such a breath of fresh air, humble and welcoming, that I could imagine not only cultural Catholics but even non-Catholics being drawn to see and hear him.  He does have celebrity status, after all.

bennydorano

It'll be huge. Noseyness, sense of occasion, the spectacle of celebrity trumping a spiritual revival, but huge nonetheless.

BennyCake

Quote from: Oraisteach on September 28, 2015, 09:17:47 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but Pope Francis is such a breath of fresh air, humble and welcoming, that I could imagine not only cultural Catholics but even non-Catholics being drawn to see and hear him.  He does have celebrity status, after all.

Some might say the same about the Nazi in Buckingham Palace, but I (and many thousands of others) would have no desire to see her.

omaghjoe

It would be a fantastic opportunity for all the people of this country, all faiths and none.

The biggest challenge facing society is not difference / lack of faith, its the ever encroaching tide of self interest and self righteousness. Hopefully he will inspire us look into ourselves, as to how we can help the world around us.

I was chatting to my wives friend at the weekend, who is of hindu tradition and buddist faith, and she was mightly impressed by Pope Francis.

From the Bunker

Who will do the before show entertainment. These fine honest upstanding lads did it the last time!

BennyCake

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 28, 2015, 09:47:41 PM
Who will do the before show entertainment. These fine honest upstanding lads did it the last time!

Is that the boyo who stole all of Father Ted's raffle money?

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyCake on September 28, 2015, 10:01:52 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 28, 2015, 09:47:41 PM

Is that the boyo who stole all of Father Ted's raffle money?

They both were strong advocates to support priestly celibacy and oppose pre-marital sex, abortion, and similar issues. Good to see they stuck stead fast to these morals in their daily lives - Do as i say but don't do as i do!

omaghjoe

J H Christ ye didnt need much ammo to get going with that one did ye?

This thread is about Pope Francis.

If you wanna start another fight with Toni/Tony ye could choose any of about 2 dozen threads.

Farrandeelin

Anything to bash the Church I suppose...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ONeill

Jaysus it'll be the largest gathering of nutjobs in a field since the Meath/Mayo final.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.