How does the current Dublin team compare with the Tyrone team 2003-2008?

Started by johnpower, September 22, 2015, 07:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 23, 2015, 07:50:43 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on September 23, 2015, 03:33:54 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 23, 2015, 01:56:49 PM
Quote from: redhandefender on September 23, 2015, 11:17:12 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 23, 2015, 11:02:28 AM
Tyrone lost to poor Mayo, Derry, Laois, Meath and Down teams, and took two goes to beat a poor Cavan team. That doesn't sound like greatness to me.

Dublin would have put all of those teams away by at least 15 points.

So many other factors involved you dope! Love posters to embarrassed even to state where they are from with these expert opinions.

As Is aid stupid topic, allows idiots to say stupid things
"You dope"

This is great. Tyrone people are fierce easy to wind up with facts.

Nearly as great as yourself for making up facts

McCaffery POTY  ;D ;D ;D ;D

He said was named Sunday game player of the year

Well if thats the case, ye may tell them boys who are discussing who its gonna be, on the POTY thread, that it has already been decided.

INDIANA

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 23, 2015, 06:07:20 PM
Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on September 23, 2015, 05:26:10 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on September 23, 2015, 04:35:53 PM
Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on September 23, 2015, 04:06:45 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on September 22, 2015, 11:10:56 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 22, 2015, 11:02:39 PM
A composite Dublin 2011-2015/Tyrone 2003-2008 team would probably look something like as follows:

1. Cluxton
2. McMenamin
3. O'Carroll
4. P. McMahon
5. McCarthy
6. Gormley
7. McCaffrey
8. McAuley
9. Cavanagh
10. Dooher
11. A. Brogan
12. Connolly
13. Canavan
14. O'Neill
15. B. Brogan

9 Dublin 6 Tyrone

Dublin have it.

Wud have both J McMahons ahead of O'Carrol

McCaffery ahead of Jordan  ;D

Brogan ahead of McGuigan? 08 was the best year Brogan was ever having, the Tyrone match told me everything I needed to know about him on a pitch.

What do you mean by this? Brogan went off with a hamstring injury after a few minutes. Are you suggesting he feigned the injury?

McGuigan was arguably as talented as Brogan but through no fault of his own only had a couple of really good years.  This year was Alan Brogans 13th year playing County Football and he was close to being Dublins top player in about 10 of them. Therefore I'd have him ahead of Brian.

Hamstring  ::) Right

Your actually delusional if you think Brogan feigned injury.
He marked far harder and better defenders than Gormley over the years and never took a backward step. He's also still winning All Ireland medals while Gormley is nothing more than a distant memory with a touch of a lingering odour off it.

No actually you are delusional, what was the follow up on that injury? did he miss club games?

Listen I actually thought nothing off it at the time, but was talking to Dubs after the match and thats what they reckoned, I had a look at the whole thing again and sure enough there was nothing to it, he never pulled up, limped off, nothing.

Also 08 Gormley still had pace and agility and was considered the best man marker in the country at that time. Its no slight to come off 2nd best, but to cry off like he did? Well thats a different story.

He roasted Gormley somewhat in 2011 so he somewhat redeemed himself IMO but Gormley was fairly well spent (certainly no comparison to his 08 version) and the younger lads (Brogan and Connolly mainly) had already done the damage that day.

But that's the thing, tge resurgence in his career coincides with this current crop of players, he has reinvented himself as well to an extent but he is mostly piggy backing on their talent, fair play.

Alan was far far superior to Brian. Brian had a lot of help from a very good team. Alan didn't get that till 2010. Mc Guigan was  a very good old style centre forward but teams like Armagh had his number.

On a composite team I'd have Joe Mc Mahon for his versatility, Jordan, O Neill, Dooher, Cavanagh and Canavan

Cluxton
Cian O sullivan
Rory O Carroll
Johnny Cooper
Mc Carthy
Joe Mc Mahon
Philip Jordan
Cavanagh
MDMA
Dooher
Connolly
Flynn
Alan Brogan
O Neill
Canavan

No toerags allowed so Mc Mahon and Ricey miss out

I have my standards. There is nobody beating the above team any day of the week.

sid waddell

He marked far harder and better defenders than Gormley over the years and never took a backward step. He's also still winning All Ireland medals while Gormley is nothing more than a distant memory with a touch of a lingering odour off it.
Let him at it, mate. He'll be telling us the moon landings were faked, the US Government was behind September 11th, and Dublin winning three All-Irelands is a GAA/CIA false flag operation next.

omaghjoe

Quote from: sid waddell on September 23, 2015, 09:12:50 PM
Let him at it, mate. He'll be telling us the moon landings were faked, the US Government was behind September 11th, and Dublin winning three All-Irelands is a GAA/CIA false flag operation next.

....And that Jack McCaffery is POTY ;)

Rodman

Quote from: INDIANA on September 23, 2015, 09:06:30 PM
A composite Dublin 2011-2015/Tyrone 2003-2008 team would probably look something like as follows:

1. Cluxton
2. McMenamin
3. O'Carroll
4. P. McMahon
5. McCarthy
6. Gormley
7. McCaffrey
8. McAuley
9. Cavanagh
10. Dooher
11. A. Brogan
12. Connolly
13. Canavan
14. O'Neill
15. B. Brogan

9 Dublin 6 Tyrone

Dublin have it.

Brogan ahead of McGuigan? 08 was the best year Brogan was ever having, the Tyrone match told me everything I needed to know about him on a pitch.

What do you mean by this? Brogan went off with a hamstring injury after a few minutes. Are you suggesting he feigned the injury?

McGuigan was arguably as talented as Brogan but through no fault of his own only had a couple of really good years.  This year was Alan Brogans 13th year playing County Football and he was close to being Dublins top player in about 10 of them. Therefore I'd have him ahead of Brian.

No actually you are delusional, what was the follow up on that injury? did he miss club games?

Listen I actually thought nothing off it at the time, but was talking to Dubs after the match and thats what they reckoned, I had a look at the whole thing again and sure enough there was nothing to it, he never pulled up, limped off, nothing.

Also 08 Gormley still had pace and agility and was considered the best man marker in the country at that time. Its no slight to come off 2nd best, but to cry off like he did? Well thats a different story.

He roasted Gormley somewhat in 2011 so he somewhat redeemed himself IMO but Gormley was fairly well spent (certainly no comparison to his 08 version) and the younger lads (Brogan and Connolly mainly) had already done the damage that day.

But that's the thing, tge resurgence in his career coincides with this current crop of players, he has reinvented himself as well to an extent but he is mostly piggy backing on their talent, fair play.

Alan was far far superior to Brian. Brian had a lot of help from a very good team. Alan didn't get that till 2010. Mc Guigan was  a very good old style centre forward but teams like Armagh had his number.

On a composite team I'd have Joe Mc Mahon for his versatility, Jordan, O Neill, Dooher, Cavanagh and Canavan

Cluxton
Cian O sullivan
Rory O Carroll
Johnny Cooper
Mc Carthy
Joe Mc Mahon
Philip Jordan
Cavanagh
MDMA
Dooher
Connolly
Flynn
Alan Brogan
O Neill
Canavan

I have my standards. There is nobody beating the above team any day of the week.

Cooper, Not a chance, shouldn't even be on the Dublin team as Fitzsimons is better.  This Dublin team are a great bunch of athletes, Tyrone were a great bunch of footballers.   No comparison in my opinion.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Rodman on September 23, 2015, 09:33:27 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 23, 2015, 09:06:30 PM

1. Cluxton
2. McMenamin
3. O'Carroll
4. P. McMahon
5. McCarthy
6. Gormley
7. McCaffrey
8. McAuley
9. Cavanagh
10. Dooher
11. A. Brogan
12. Connolly
13. Canavan
14. O'Neill
15. B. Brogan

9 Dublin 6 Tyrone

Dublin have it.

Cluxton
Cian O sullivan
Rory O Carroll
Johnny Cooper
Mc Carthy
Joe Mc Mahon
Philip Jordan
Cavanagh
MDMA
Dooher
Connolly
Flynn
Alan Brogan
O Neill
Canavan

Cooper, Not a chance, shouldn't even be on the Dublin team as Fitzsimons is better.  This Dublin team are a great bunch of athletes, Tyrone were a great bunch of footballers.   No comparison in my opinion.

At least Steven O'Neill has made Indiana's team. It must have been his performance in the rain against the Dubs in 2008 that swung it for him.  ;D
That was never a square ball!!

omaghjoe

Indie

The best teams brought the best outta McGuigan actually because that's where the space was tightest. He had manys a good day against Armagh as he had McGeeney's no.

Brogan on the other hand romped around against the crap teams and went missing (or cried off) against the good ones.

Your FB line is hilarious BTW, dont even think any of them would make my no.2 FB line.

tonto1888

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 23, 2015, 09:20:01 PM

You really are slow aren't you? He didn't say McCarthy was player of the year. He said that the Sunday game named said he was their player of the year. But sure don't let the truth get in the way if your slagging people off

INDIANA

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 23, 2015, 10:05:22 PM
Indie

The best teams brought the best outta McGuigan actually because that's where the space was tightest. He had manys a good day against Armagh as he had McGeeney's no.

Brogan on the other hand romped around against the crap teams and went missing (or cried off) against the good ones.

Your FB line is hilarious BTW, dont even think any of them would make my no.2 FB line.

I pick footballers not toerags so that elimantes Ricey. Gormley wasn't even a good toerag so he misses out as well.

omaghjoe

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 23, 2015, 10:25:11 PM

You really are slow aren't you? He didn't say McCarthy was player of the year. He said that the Sunday game named said he was their player of the year. But sure don't let the truth get in the way if your slagging people off

Quote from: sid waddell on September 22, 2015, 11:34:09 PM

Player of the Year awards: McCaffrey 1 Jordan 0.

Here's a wee tip, if you are gonna get embroiled in other people's arguments get YOUR facts straight b4 you start with the personal insults

sid waddell

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 23, 2015, 11:30:34 PM

Quote from: sid waddell link=topic=26274.msg1517287#msg1517287

Here's a wee tip, if you are gonna get embroiled in other people's arguments get YOUR facts straight b4 you start with the personal insults

randomusername

1. Pascal McConnell - Cluxton loses the head too often and McConnell's a better shot-stopper. If Cluxton was taller I'd change my mind though.
2. Ryan McMenamin
3. Cormac McAnallen
4. Cian O'Sullivan
5. James McCarthy
6. Conor Gormley
7. Philip Jordan
8. Enda McGinley
9. Sean Cavanagh
10. Brian Dooher
11. Brian McGuigan
12. Paul Flynn
13. Bernard Brogan
14. Peter Canavan
15. Stephen O'Neill

Current Dublin crop might still beat the Tyrone's noughties team due to advances in S&C, who the hell knows. I mean Brian McGuigan hates vegetables.

tonto1888

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 23, 2015, 11:30:34 PM

Quote from: sid waddell on September 22, 2015, 11:34:09 PM

Here's a wee tip for you. Have a look at the original post and see what he said regarding the player of the year, eh?

tonto1888

Quote from: sid waddell on September 22, 2015, 11:16:54 PM

i) O'Carroll is comfortably the best full back of this century so far.

ii) McCaffrey has just been named Sunday Game POTY and will go on to become an all-time great. Jordan never came remotely close to being POTY.

iii) A comment which tells me everything I need to know about your football knowledge, ie, there isn't much of it.

For omaghjoe

lenny

1. Cluxton
2. McMenamin
3. O'Carroll
4. P. McMahon
5. McCarthy
6. Gormley
7. McCaffrey
8. McAuley
9. Cavanagh
10. Dooher
11. A. Brogan
12. Connolly
13. Canavan
14. O'Neill
15. B. Brogan

9 Dublin 6 Tyrone

Dublin have it.

I like this team but I think Cian O'Sullivan has to be centre half back. Gormley has to be in and his best position was corner back. Its really 50/50 between mcmahon and mcmenamin for the othe corner back but I would go for mcmahon vecause he is stronger and has shown this year he is a good footballer. I also wouldnt have Alan Brogan at 11. Paul Flynn is a must so he comes in at 12 with Connolly at 11.  Mcguigan misses out but connolly can do everything that mcguigan can but with the added bonus of being much more potent in the scoring stakes.