How does the current Dublin team compare with the Tyrone team 2003-2008?

Started by johnpower, September 22, 2015, 07:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: ONeill on September 23, 2015, 12:34:33 AM
Well, in the NFL Dublin played 5 games at home and lost none. They played 4 away and lost 2.

Lies, damn lies and statistics. In the 2015 League Dublin beat Managhan by 11 points in Clones and by 1 point in Croke Park. Discuss.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 23, 2015, 12:26:26 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 22, 2015, 11:36:39 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 22, 2015, 11:17:40 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 22, 2015, 10:54:20 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 22, 2015, 10:50:41 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 22, 2015, 10:16:32 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 22, 2015, 09:58:21 PM
Tyrone for me. Tyrone had opposition from May - Sept.

Because the standard in Leinster is so abject for years now Dublin can bank on being in semi every year. This year they only got 2 decent games to win Sam - the 2 semi-finals v Mayo. The CP factor will always taint Dublin's achievements.

Croke Park factor is such a crazy advantage!

Dublins Games in Croker this year

Dublin Donegal
Dublin Tyrone
Dublin Derry
Dublin Monaghan
Dublin Cork
Dublin Longford
Dublin Kildare
Dublin Westmeath
Dublin Fermanagh
Dublin Mayo
Dublin Mayo

Kerrys games in Croker

Kerry Kildare
Kerry Tyrone

I have absolutely no doubt that this Dublin would beat Mayo in an AI Final no matter where the game were to be played.

I have no doubt either! The problem is Dublin get home advantage for all their important games! ALL!

Your list is disingenuous. As you know, league games are a combination of home and away games so your inclusion of league games is misleading (remember Dublin travelled to Castlebar this year and you know the result).

In the case of Leinster championship games, which of your listed games would Dublin have lost if they were played outside Croke Park?

God man! You played NO games away from home when the League became knockout! You played NO games away from home in the championship. You might have played teams you would have beaten away from home in the Leinster Championship, But you were still getting games in a ground you call home (for your league campaign) and getting more used to playing on it!

As for the Mayo example of beating (hammering) us in the league. If you are going to use that analogy then how did ye get on away from home against Kerry (or even Cork)?

Can you imagine if Man Utd had all Cup finals, semi finals and Quarter finals played in Old Trafford? All Champions league games played there! Would you say they held no advantage?

Check mate!

What's your point - that this Dublin team would not be as successful as they are if they had to play outside Croke Park?

I ask you again, Would you say they held no advantage playing all their knock out games in Croker? If you ignore the question again, I'll take it you agree and want to avoid answering?

moysider

Quote from: ashman on September 22, 2015, 10:10:22 PM

Because the standard in Leinster is so abject for years now Dublin can bank on being in semi every year. This year they only got 2 decent games to win Sam - the 2 semi-finals v Mayo. The CP factor will always taint Dublin's achievements.

How does that prove Tyrone were better ???

None of the factors you listed lessen dublin as a team and they can not be used in comparing both teams.  It is hard to say but I think dublin due to their phenomenal pace and power. Tyrone might have had some better footbAllers and dublin have no one in the class of Sean Cavanagh in 2008.

Prove? This is not maths or physics. It's sport. There is no proof. There isn't even a theory. It's just opinion and ultimately a waste of time. It's a silly but distracting exercise. Like comparing Louis to Ali. Or Coppi to Merckx. Federer/Djokovic/ Nadal to Sampras, Fangio and Senna. Ring and Mackey. Mick O Connell and Jacko. Canavan and Cooper. Serena and Graf. Nicklaus and Tiger. Pelé and Maradonna, Messi and Ronaldo. It's just opinion and most opinion is biased.

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on September 22, 2015, 10:30:04 PM

Tyrone beat a lot of crap teams too and struggled to beat teams this Dublin team would have blown out of the water.

You can't call some of the Ulster championship games a high standard. They can be intense and tight but quite often the standard of football is utterly abject

True but ........ Dublin would be playing those teams in cabbage patches and not in the wide open spaces they are used to. They would have to do so from May onwards as well. Ulster games may be intense and tight and the standard might be abject but Leinster football is just abject and don't have intensity or tightness. Not blaming Dublin for that. It's ridiculous Meath in particular have fallen away so bad. Offaly haven t the population.

moysider

Quote from: sid waddell on September 22, 2015, 11:02:39 PM
A composite Dublin 2011-2015/Tyrone 2003-2008 team would probably look something like as follows:

1. Cluxton
2. McMenamin
3. O'Carroll
4. P. McMahon
5. McCarthy
6. Gormley
7. McCaffrey
8. McAuley
9. Cavanagh
10. Dooher
11. A. Brogan
12. Connolly
13. Canavan
14. O'Neill
15. B. Brogan

9 Dublin 6 Tyrone

Dublin have it.

You're havin a laugh. Jordan for a start. McGuigan one of the great 11s. Up there with Thomkins and Greg Blaney since Purcell's time. Lets be realistic here. Justin McMahon (or Joe) better full back - in fact both in there. I d have Enda McGinley before another Tyrone man in there actually.

omaghjoe

Quote from: sid waddell on September 22, 2015, 11:34:09 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on September 22, 2015, 11:25:37 PM

O'Carroll isn't even the current best full back in his province
;D
::) You probably dont even know another FB in Leinster

is your criteria based on future achievements?
Current achievements, mate.

Player of the Year awards: McCaffrey 1 0 Jordan 0.
Fixed that for ye, maybe you'll reconsider that now based on facts?

Likewise, with your entire posts to date.
I like A. Brogan TBF and Conor Gormley is a big tough fella. I'd be crying off as well after a few minutes against him, but then Im not in consideration for this XV
Tyrone would know all about crying off against big tough opponents, now. Was it three of them cried off in 1996? I seem to remember Peter Canavan crying off in 2003 when faced with Seamus Moynihan too.
No one actually cried off in 96, just rather naively took a kicking, not sure of the relevance of 96 with Alan Brogan anyway?.
And you do realise there is a difference in getting an injury (which helped PTG miss a healthy chunk of the final?) and being shit scared?

Farrandeelin

Why use Utd in a Dublin argument anyway? A London based club would be better surely...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

An Watcher

I think taking the Dubs out of Croke Park would provide a badly needed lift to the Leinster Championship.  Imagine the Dubs having to play in Navan in June or indeed Wicklow but only if the draw comes out this way.  Yes it would not provide the same amount of income as Croke Park but these smaller provincial towns would receive a real financial lift.  I think for the benefit of the Leinster Championship it should be given serious consideration.  Some Dubs might actually agree with it? 

Declan

QuoteImagine the Dubs having to play in Navan in June

Pairc Tailteann is a kip and isn't fit to host a junior championship match never mind a Senior Inter county game

redhandefender

The real question is imagine you pumped 4 million a year into that tyrone team what would they be like!

Stupid topic just set up to rise an argument whilst the Dubs are on a high a liable to say a few over the top statements!

Well done the dubs and all this philly mc mahon crap should be put to bed, games over, get ready for next year and go at them!

macdanger2

If Dublin win the AI next year, will it be time to start comparing them to the Kerry team of the noughties??

WT4E

Haven't read the whole thread as I'm not sure about it!

BUT

It would be some game if you put those two teams up against each other!

AZOffaly

Is this not the rationale Galway had for *not* winning All Irelands in the hurling?

sid waddell

Tyrone lost to poor Mayo, Derry, Laois, Meath and Down teams, and took two goes to beat a poor Cavan team. That doesn't sound like greatness to me.

Dublin would have put all of those teams away by at least 15 points.