How does the current Dublin team compare with the Tyrone team 2003-2008?

Started by johnpower, September 22, 2015, 07:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 24, 2015, 06:51:54 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 22, 2015, 11:16:54 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on September 22, 2015, 11:10:56 PM

Wud have both J McMahons ahead of O'Carrol

McCaffery ahead of Jordan  ;D

Brogan ahead of McGuigan? 08 was the best year Brogan was ever having, the Tyrone match told me everything I needed to know about him on a pitch.
i) O'Carroll is comfortably the best full back of this century so far.

ii) McCaffrey has just been named Sunday Game POTY and will go on to become an all-time great. Jordan never came remotely close to being POTY.

iii) A comment which tells me everything I need to know about your football knowledge, ie, there isn't much of it.

For omaghjoe

Exactly, glad you can see what he was at now, he was trying to equate POTY to be the Sunday Game POTY (which it aint).

BTW, thanks for backing me up, I knew you would come around to see things sensibly when you had all the facts  .

Il Bomber Destro

1. Cluxton
2. Ricey
3. McAnallen
4. Philly McMahon
5. Gormley
6. Joe McMahon
7. Jordan
8. McGinley
9. Cavanagh
10. Dooher
11. McGuigan
12. Connolly
13. A Brogan
14. O'Neill
15. Canavan

sid waddell

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 24, 2015, 08:04:16 AM

Brogan ahead of McGuigan? 08 was the best year Brogan was ever having, the Tyrone match told me everything I needed to know about him on a pitch.

ii) McCaffrey has just been named Sunday Game POTY and will go on to become an all-time great. Jordan never came remotely close to being POTY.

iii) A comment which tells me everything I need to know about your football knowledge, ie, there isn't much of it.

For omaghjoe

Exactly, glad you can see what he was at now, he was trying to equate POTY to be the Sunday Game POTY (which it aint).

BTW, thanks for backing me up, I knew you would come around to see things sensibly when you had all the facts  .
8:04 - I see the creche is open early...

jb81

Stephen Cluxton
Conor Gormley
Rory O'Carroll
Ryan McMenamin/Philly McMahon - neither cover themselves in glory
Jack Mc'Caffrey
Joe McMahon/Cian O'Sullivan - tight between these two
Philip Jordan
Sean Cavanagh
Cormac McAnallen
Brian Dooher
Diarmuid Connolly ( Only just from Brian McGuigan - tough tough call)
Paul Flynn
Bernard Brogan
Peter Canavan
Stephen O'Neill

thewobbler

From a neutral point of view.

Cluxton

McMenamin
O'Carroll
P McMahon

McCaffrey
Gormley
Jordan

Cavanagh
McAuley

Dooher
McGuigan
Flynn

Connolly
Brogan
Canavan

- - -

The hardest done by is Steven O'Neill, but if I had to pick 6 from 7 a hundred times, it would be those 6 every single time. It's probably as perfect a forward line as you could devise. O'Neill, for all his many undoubted talents would not actually be an improvement in any given position on those six.

Joe McMahon and Ross O'Carroll is coin toss.

Goals isn't a difficult choice.

Corner backs are a lock, as is the entire half back line. Lenny's idea was just bizarre. Moving Gormley to make room for Cian O'Sullivan would be like playing Franz Beckenbauer at full back so that Per Mertesecker gets a game.

If you were actually picking a team to win a match against Kerry or Mayo, instead of pure ability, I'd imagine that MDMA would be dropped for Hub Hughes.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: thewobbler on September 24, 2015, 09:23:38 AM
From a neutral point of view.

Cluxton

McMenamin
O'Carroll
P McMahon

McCaffrey
Gormley
Jordan

Cavanagh
McAuley

Dooher
McGuigan
Flynn

Connolly
Brogan
Canavan

- - -

The hardest done by is Steven O'Neill, but if I had to pick 6 from 7 a hundred times, it would be those 6 every single time. It's probably as perfect a forward line as you could devise. O'Neill, for all his many undoubted talents would not actually be an improvement in any given position on those six.

Joe McMahon and Ross O'Carroll is coin toss.

Goals isn't a difficult choice.

Corner backs are a lock, as is the entire half back line. Lenny's idea was just bizarre. Moving Gormley to make room for Cian O'Sullivan would be like playing Franz Beckenbauer at full back so that Per Mertesecker gets a game.

If you were actually picking a team to win a match against Kerry or Mayo, instead of pure ability, I'd imagine that MDMA would be dropped for Hub Hughes.

Well you did move Connolly to make room for Flynn.

thewobbler

I didn't. Flynn is the most natural wing-forward in the modern game.

Connolly played in the full-forward line in 2011, and in that team he'd be given a licence to roam wherever he liked.

But seeing as we are nit picking, just how often did Joe McMahon play Championship football in the half back line for Tyrone between 2003 and 2008?

tonto1888

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 24, 2015, 08:04:16 AM

For omaghjoe

And you still fail to understand even when things are quite clearly pointed out to you, seems to be a common theme with you. Ah well, you can take a horse to water and all that.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: thewobbler on September 24, 2015, 09:38:25 AM

Connolly played in the full-forward line in 2011, and in that team he'd be given a licence to roam wherever he liked.

But seeing as we are nit picking, just how often did Joe McMahon play Championship football in the half back line for Tyrone between 2003 and 2008?

Joe McMahon played wherever Tyrone needed him to play be it full back, corner back, wing back, centre back, midfield, half forward or full forward. For me his best position was at 6 we had Gormley there who was a master in that position and two very good attacking wing backs so we utilised McMahon's versatility to play wherever we had a weakness.

Connolly has played his best football since moving to the half forward line.

Flynn is the poor man's Enda McGinley.

screenexile

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 24, 2015, 09:55:18 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 24, 2015, 09:38:25 AM

Joe McMahon played wherever Tyrone needed him to play be it full back, corner back, wing back, centre back, midfield, half forward or full forward. For me his best position was at 6 we had Gormley there who was a master in that position and two very good attacking wing backs so we utilised McMahon's versatility to play wherever we had a weakness.

Connolly has played his best football since moving to the half forward line.

Flynn is the poor man's Enda McGinley.

Jesus Christ it didn't take long for this thread to descend into farce!!

Here lads it's a ridiculous question which matters to nobody and will only throw up each counties blinkers and cause stupid rows about players who were all good but can't really be compared as they haven't played against eachother. Can we lock the thread and move on at all?

AZOffaly

My neutral amalgamation would be...

Cluxton

McMenamin
O'Carroll (I had to exclude Cormac, RIP, because we only, sadly, saw him for one year as a full back. )
McMahon

McCaffrey
Gormley
Jordan

Cavanagh
McCauley

Connolly
McGuigan
Dooher

O'Neill
Canavan
Brogan

The hardest call for me was Dooher over Flynn.

thewobbler

This is maybe the fourth or fifth thread over the past month where I've encountered Bomber Destro's player analysis.

A quick summary:

- If he played for Tyrone during the noughties, he is a demi God. No other group of players in the history of the game comes close in terms of talent and application. These ARE the all time greats.

- If he currently plays for Tyrone, he's the best player in Ireland in his position, and it's only a media conspiracy that prevents this being accepted as common knowledge.

- If he plays/played for anyone else except Kerry, it's just ambivalence.

- If he plays/played for Kerry, he is the most overrated player in the history of the game, and Kerry only win All Irelands because the media build them up as invincible and other counties (apart from Tyrone) fall into this trap.

It's comical.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: thewobbler on September 24, 2015, 10:06:49 AM
This is maybe the fourth or fifth thread over the past month where I've encountered Bomber Destro's player analysis.

A quick summary:

- If he played for Tyrone during the noughties, he is a demi God. No other group of players in the history of the game comes close in terms of talent and application. These ARE the all time greats.

- If he currently plays for Tyrone, he's the best player in Ireland in his position, and it's only a media conspiracy that prevents this being accepted as common knowledge.

- If he plays/played for anyone else except Kerry, it's just ambivalence.

- If he plays/played for Kerry, he is the most overrated player in the history of the game, and Kerry only win All Irelands because the media build them up as invincible and other counties (apart from Tyrone) fall into this trap.

It's comical.

Wrong again.

The Aristocrat

Unfair to compare the two teams. You shouldn't be trying to take away from the great team that Tyrone team were but even in the small space of time, its two different era's, the game has changed. The current Dublin team on fitness alone and the speed of which they play would beat that Tyrone team.

yellowcard

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 24, 2015, 10:05:41 AM
My neutral amalgamation would be...

Cluxton

McMenamin
O'Carroll (I had to exclude Cormac, RIP, because we only, sadly, saw him for one year as a full back. )
McMahon

McCaffrey
Gormley
Jordan

Cavanagh
McCauley

Connolly
McGuigan
Dooher

O'Neill
Canavan
Brogan

The hardest call for me was Dooher over Flynn.

Stick Flynn in no.12 and move Connolly CHF and its hard to argue with the rest of that side. Flynn has won 4 all stars in a row, how many other players on the side have won as many? McGuigan at his best would get onto the team but his best was for about 2 seasons and most of the rest of the time he was below par, injured or in and out of the side.