Started by rrhf, September 13, 2015, 09:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: INDIANA on October 18, 2015, 09:25:26 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on October 18, 2015, 09:22:08 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 18, 2015, 09:08:18 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on October 18, 2015, 09:01:10 PM
Quote from: bannside on October 18, 2015, 08:42:14 PM
Ireland played fantastic rugby one week ago and deserved to win as easily as they did. Today Ireland were awful. I'm not sure POC, Sexton or O Brien would have made that difference. We looked stale and weary.

I'd say that was the main factor. A fresh team with an extra week playing a tired team who went to the well last Saturday and used up all their resources in doing so.

Would we best Argentina at least five or six times out of ten. Probably yes. But play today's game over again ten times, under the same circumstances  and we would lose the most of them. Argentina have a real chance against Australia who today went to the well themselves to dig out a result.

We get through the 6 nations every year which has a tougher calendar but we were unlucky with the injuries. At the time we all felt the draw was kind with each test getting gradually tougher each week but with hindsight it would have been better to play france early then allowing more time for recovery by fielding weaker teams against canada etc but thats the way it goes. Look at england not great but not awful either but a cr@p draw screwed them big time

Ok. there are 4 teams in the semi-finals.

None are from the NH.

And we still think the 6 Nations is a tougher competition?

Hmm

Try again tougher calendar not tougher competition. England france italy scotland wales over 6 weeks is tougher than canada romania italy france argentina over 5. As noted before in hindsight it would have worked in our favour to meet one of the smaller teams last to give more recovery time for key players but as also stated earlier others had it far worse

Have you looked at the Rugby Championship Calendar. Are you telling me it's easier to play New Zealand, South Africa and Australia in a 6 week period like Argentina do?

I'm comparing Ireland 6 nations fixtures with their world cup fixtures why are you talking about the rugby championship

mylestheslasher

Don't know a lot about Rugby but isn't it as simple as Ireland were beaten by a much better team today? Seems to me Ireland fought hard, hung in there and even dragged themselves back into it but at the end of the day Argentina were just far superior and won deservedly.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 18, 2015, 09:46:09 PM
Don't know a lot about Rugby but isn't it as simple as Ireland were beaten by a much better team today? Seems to me Ireland fought hard, hung in there and even dragged themselves back into it but at the end of the day Argentina were just far superior and won deservedly.

I wouldn't be an expert myself, but I don't think Ireland had factored in how wired up the Argentines were from the beginning today. I thought that they would begin to fade in the second half, and they were beginning to fade. If only Madigan had put Ireland level then maybe it could have been different. Fair play to Argentina, played the best rugby and made the least mistakes today too. Didn't see the Scotland game as I thought they would get a hammering, but it must be really tough to out like that!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

omagh_gael

A key fact I missed in the build up was that Argentina only had five of their starting team today playing last weekend. That was huge considering the game we played last week. Their group focus was completely different than ours in that they had their (small) chance of winning the group early when they played the All Blacks. As soon as it was lost they had the massive advantage of coasting to the qf v Ireland/France. We had the complete reversal where we had to hit top gear 7 days ago and got absolutely gutted with injuries and walking wounded. We hit a shit storm of intensity in first fifteen minutes and (even with PoC et al) we couldn't handle it.

BennyHarp

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 18, 2015, 09:46:09 PM

Was thinking the same myself. Fair play to Ireland for hanging in there, their effort was clear to see but the teams in the Southern Hemisphere are on a different level at the minute.
That was never a square ball!!

Declan

Lads that was a hiding by double scores and it was unfortunate but it probably reflects correctly that we are in the second tier of a four tier worldwide competetion

ONeill

Quote from: muppet on October 18, 2015, 05:07:23 PM
And it wasn't unreasonable to expect us to win in a tight game. After all were ranked ahead of them and have beaten them in our recent encounters.

What sort of supporters would we be if we expected to lose?

Ah now, Muppet - you're too long in the tooth for those statements.

You know rightly that tournaments take a form of their own when the first game is played. Doesn't matter if they were first in the world and unbeaten in 33 games. The signs were there, both from how they performed in the group stages (Le France were dung) and how Argentina were improving game by game.

Also, blind support is for the youngsters. Not a lad like you in his 60s.

BTW, I lost my bet. Had Argentina to win between 11-15.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Raven

Good job they're beat. I fed up with this rugby sh**e and this Ireland's Call sh**e

Canalman

Scotland / Australia one of the best games of rugby I have ever seen. The second half went by in the blink of an eye.

Know at least two people who I presume will be trying to offload 300 Euro tickets th ey bought for the semi finals full sure Ireland would be there. Wish them well but can't see too much of a take up with two SH teams in it.

dec

There were seven Rugby Championship vs Six Nations games in this World Cup. In two of them the Six Nations team would have gained a losing bonus point.

Aaron Boone

Argentina still outsider of 4 to win it at 14/1. That's a big price.

Syferus

Quote from: Aaron Boone on October 19, 2015, 12:59:44 AM

We made a good side look great. I'd only fancy them to beat SA of the remaining teams. Beating AUS and then NZ is the hardest run in of any of the remaining teams.

foxcommander

Quote from: The Raven on October 18, 2015, 10:56:51 PM
Good job they're beat. I fed up with this rugby sh**e and this Ireland's Call sh**e

Too roysh. PMSL.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on October 18, 2015, 10:43:49 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 18, 2015, 05:07:23 PM
And it wasn't unreasonable to expect us to win in a tight game. After all were ranked ahead of them and have beaten them in our recent encounters.

What sort of supporters would we be if we expected to lose?

Ah now, Muppet - you're too long in the tooth for those statements.

You know rightly that tournaments take a form of their own when the first game is played. Doesn't matter if they were first in the world and unbeaten in 33 games. The signs were there, both from how they performed in the group stages (Le France were dung) and how Argentina were improving game by game.

Also, blind support is for the youngsters. Not a lad like you in his 60s.

BTW, I lost my bet. Had Argentina to win between 11-15.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Says the 70 year old who thinks Arsenal will win the league.
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on October 19, 2015, 01:27:45 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on October 19, 2015, 12:59:44 AM

We made a good side look great. I'd only fancy them to beat SA of the remaining teams. Beating AUS and then NZ is the hardest run in of any of the remaining teams.

Gotta love Roscommon GAA fans . Find solace in everything . Similar to Irish rugby fans .

Let's just be thankful we aren't in the semis based on your ahem "logic"