Rugby world cup 2015

Started by rrhf, September 13, 2015, 09:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Whatever about the casual fans, most of the more informed pundits and past players were wary of Argentina. There was more than enough references to the beatings of Lens 1999 and Paris 2007. The most optimistic opinion was that Ireland would squeek it despite the absentees. Now, if someone had called how the Scotland Australia game would pan out, they'd deserve serious respect.

Also, let's not be getting carried away as if the pre-match opinions of random outsiders has much bearing on the outcome.

gallsman

Jpgjohnnyg, I called you on discounting Argentina weeks ago when you lumped them in with the rest of a bunch of "minnows". Until the All Blacks yesterday, they'd played the best rugby of the tournament with the exception of maybe Australia against England.

Kindly pipe down with your moaning about forward passes etc. There was no forward pass, just like there wasn't for our second try. We were 17 down before we realised the game had started.

Hope the Argies manage to win the lot somehow.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on October 18, 2015, 06:45:51 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on October 18, 2015, 03:17:23 PM
Madigan's miss to bring it level at 23 apiece was a huge moment. Instead we lose the momentum and Argentina knock over a penalty almost straight away for 6 point lead. In saying that Argentina were fantastic, their aggression was brutal.

Pretty much what shane horgan has also said on rte. Despite being sh1te we still could have won it
We were bate out the gate, Arg played all the rugby, other than Herny our backrow were anonymous in the first half.  The 6 nations was shown up for what it really is this weekend. 

JPGJOHNNYG

If you want me to go back through the posts i will. You misread my original post about argentina which i then immediately agreed with you that argentina are NOT minnows but that NZ should be beating them by 20 as they have done the previous 8 occasions.  Argentina deserved to win today but there were still some awfull decisions today which didnt help ireland. By the way if you want to go back over old posts for a laugh - sorry what was that wales wont get out of the group with all those injuries er yes indeed now pipe down yourself and allow people to have different opinions.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on October 18, 2015, 07:53:47 PM
Whatever about the casual fans, most of the more informed pundits and past players were wary of Argentina. There was more than enough references to the beatings of Lens 1999 and Paris 2007. The most optimistic opinion was that Ireland would squeek it despite the absentees. Now, if someone had called how the Scotland Australia game would pan out, they'd deserve serious respect.

Also, let's not be getting carried away as if the pre-match opinions of random outsiders has much bearing on the outcome.

In fairness all the bookies had ireland to win by 3 or 4 pts and seeing as it is their business to be right i reckon thats more than just some random outsider opinions

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on October 18, 2015, 08:30:57 PM

In fairness all the bookies had ireland to win by 3 or 4 pts and seeing as it is their business to be right i reckon thats more than just some random outsider opinions
The bookies job is to make a profit, or at least not make a loss rather than simply being right.
The handicap is more a reflection of there not being as many Hectors and Pedros walking into Paddy Power to back Argentina.
Even if people round these parts had an inkling that Ireland might lose, they would still be reluctant to back the opposition.

bannside

Ireland played fantastic rugby one week ago and deserved to win as easily as they did. Today Ireland were awful. I'm not sure POC, Sexton or O Brien would have made that difference. We looked stale and weary.

I'd say that was the main factor. A fresh team with an extra week playing a tired team who went to the well last Saturday and used up all their resources in doing so.

Would we best Argentina at least five or six times out of ten. Probably yes. But play today's game over again ten times, under the same circumstances  and we would lose the most of them. Argentina have a real chance against Australia who today went to the well themselves to dig out a result.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on October 18, 2015, 08:41:19 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on October 18, 2015, 08:30:57 PM

The bookies job is to make a profit, or at least not make a loss rather than simply being right.
The handicap is more a reflection of there not being as many Hectors and Pedros walking into Paddy Power to back Argentina.
Even if people round these parts had an inkling that Ireland might lose, they would still be reluctant to back the opposition.

The worldwide internet betting is a slightly bigger market than sean going to paddy power and backing his team. Evidence shows that bookies odds are more accurate than polls and surveys because by and large people bet on what they think will happen rather than on what they want to happen.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: bannside on October 18, 2015, 08:42:14 PM
Ireland played fantastic rugby one week ago and deserved to win as easily as they did. Today Ireland were awful. I'm not sure POC, Sexton or O Brien would have made that difference. We looked stale and weary.

I'd say that was the main factor. A fresh team with an extra week playing a tired team who went to the well last Saturday and used up all their resources in doing so.

Would we best Argentina at least five or six times out of ten. Probably yes. But play today's game over again ten times, under the same circumstances  and we would lose the most of them. Argentina have a real chance against Australia who today went to the well themselves to dig out a result.

We get through the 6 nations every year which has a tougher calendar but we were unlucky with the injuries. At the time we all felt the draw was kind with each test getting gradually tougher each week but with hindsight it would have been better to play france early then allowing more time for recovery by fielding weaker teams against canada etc but thats the way it goes. Look at england not great but not awful either but a cr@p draw screwed them big time

INDIANA

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on October 18, 2015, 09:01:10 PM

We get through the 6 nations every year which has a tougher calendar but we were unlucky with the injuries. At the time we all felt the draw was kind with each test getting gradually tougher each week but with hindsight it would have been better to play france early then allowing more time for recovery by fielding weaker teams against canada etc but thats the way it goes. Look at england not great but not awful either but a cr@p draw screwed them big time

Ok. there are 4 teams in the semi-finals.

None are from the NH.

And we still think the 6 Nations is a tougher competition?

Hmm

gallsman

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on October 18, 2015, 08:23:15 PM
If you want me to go back through the posts i will. You misread my original post about argentina which i then immediately agreed with you that argentina are NOT minnows but that NZ should be beating them by 20 as they have done the previous 8 occasions.  Argentina deserved to win today but there were still some awfull decisions today which didnt help ireland. By the way if you want to go back over old posts for a laugh - sorry what was that wales wont get out of the group with all those injuries er yes indeed now pipe down yourself and allow people to have different opinions.

You said they weren't minnows after you were pulled on it. I said weeks ago that I fancied England to go tumbling out and then after all the Welsh injuries, like everyone else, felt it was too big an ask for them. And it should have been.

We got absolutely outplayed today by a faster, stronger, more skillful side. Yet all you can do is (repeatedly) moan about forward passes and a missed sending off.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: INDIANA on October 18, 2015, 09:08:18 PM

None are from the NH.

Hmm

Try again tougher calendar not tougher competition. England france italy scotland wales over 6 weeks is tougher than canada romania italy france argentina over 5. As noted before in hindsight it would have worked in our favour to meet one of the smaller teams last to give more recovery time for key players but as also stated earlier others had it far worse

INDIANA

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on October 18, 2015, 09:22:08 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 18, 2015, 09:08:18 PM

None are from the NH.

Hmm

Try again tougher calendar not tougher competition. England france italy scotland wales over 6 weeks is tougher than canada romania italy france argentina over 5. As noted before in hindsight it would have worked in our favour to meet one of the smaller teams last to give more recovery time for key players but as also stated earlier others had it far worse

Have you looked at the Rugby Championship Calendar. Are you telling me it's easier to play New Zealand, South Africa and Australia in a 6 week period like Argentina do?

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: gallsman on October 18, 2015, 09:20:32 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on October 18, 2015, 08:23:15 PM

You said they weren't minnows after you were pulled on it. I said weeks ago that I fancied England to go tumbling out and then after all the Welsh injuries, like everyone else, felt it was too big an ask for them. And it should have been.

We got absolutely outplayed today by a faster, stronger, more skillful side. Yet all you can do is (repeatedly) moan about forward passes and a missed sending off.

Your dead right i mean a sending off with 30 mins to go would have made no difference lol. Yes we got hammered but funny things happen in sport just because a team deserve to win doesnt mean they actually win. The footballers the other night should have been thumped and yet won, it happens. Refs make mistakes and i think fans are entitled to be annoyed by bad calls. I guess you reckon those pesky scots are bad losers too when reality joubert robbed them of a SF with some bizarre decisions.

Wildweasel74

The worst team in the 6 nations should beat the no.2 ranked team, Wales could and possible should have beat South Africa, the bounce of a ball, injuries or a bad call can made all the difference in close games. the different between south and north not matter in the next few weeks when South Africa kick and rush game will get their ass handed to them by New Zealand, and i expect them to easily overwhelm Australia in the final.New Zealand 1997 and the 2005 are the 2 best teams in rugby i have seen, by the end of this tournament, this current All-Black team could surpass them